IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Mattel Aquarius Multi-Cart

The 1541 Extended BASIC ROM: In 1988, Ron Koenig designed an Aquarius interface for the Commodore 1541 floppy disk drive. Koenig also included a modified version of Extended BASIC which integrated a series of new DOS commands, along with commands for using the Mini-Expander hand controllers and sound chip, reading and writing to I/O ports, quickly filling the screen with color, and other tasks that previously required the use of assembly language. The DOS functions will not work from the multi-cart, of course, but the other commands will make it easier for Aquarius programmers working in BASIC to get the most out of their machines. The 1541 ROM also includes a simple monitor, useful for dumping/disassembling memory.

I'm a pretty non-technical guy. Is there any way of implementing the DOS functions so that we can use our 1541 Drives for storage with the Aquarius? This is something a few of us are extremely interested in. Flash storage solutions are sexier of course... but being able to hook up old school vintage storage solutions is just as sexy.

The "Aquarius Home Computer System Command Console" Cartridge: the software portion of the first home computer interface developed for X10, an industry standard protocol for home automation (turning electrical appliances on or off, dimming lights, raising/lowering the temperature in a house, monitoring sensors, etc). X10 was originally controlled by dedicated devices, but the Aquarius was intended to be the first computer system to have an X10 interface and control center. The Aquarius was discontinued before the interface could be marketed; the technology was eventually ported over to the Tandy Color Computer instead.

I happen to have one of the Tandy controllers. They are in the shape of the Aquarius, you can tell they just re-badged them for the Tandy. Is there any way to adapt one of these to utilize the Command Control cartridge software?

I didn't see the AD&D Tresure of Tarmin manual scans up on the Aquarius group. I already have it scanned for inclusion on my website (If I ever find the time), did you need a copy for the multi-cart project?

Edited by the-topdog

I'm a pretty non-technical guy. Is there any way of implementing the DOS functions so that we can use our 1541 Drives for storage with the Aquarius? This is something a few of us are extremely interested in. Flash storage solutions are sexier of course... but being able to hook up old school vintage storage solutions is just as sexy.

It might be possible, but I probably wouldn't be interested in doing it. Floppy drive technology is totally obsolete nowadays, especially given the incredibly large capacity and low prices of modern flash memories. To make the 1541 DOS work, I'd have to recreate the Koenig interface inside a specialized cartridge, but I'd much rather put my efforts into a more modern solution.

There are certain creative opportunities in going with a different storage technology, too, especially on a niche system like the Aquarius. With more popular classic computers (like the Atari and Commodore machines), there is a huge back catalog of software that was designed to run from floppy disks, so any new storage peripheral for those systems has to be backward-compatible with the original floppy drives in order for those programs to work. With the Aquarius, the only two floppy drive options that I'm aware of (the QuickDisk and 1541 interfaces) were never more than curiosities that very few people had, so you have a lot more freedom to start from scratch.

What I have in mind is a flash-based solution that uses a PC-compatible FAT32 file system on an ordinary CompactFlash or MicroSD memory card. I've never build such an interface, but I've seen similar microcontroller-based projects on other Z80 computers, so it seems to me that it should work. And the best part is that the Aquarius has all of the necessary signals right inside the cartridge port, so it would be completely plug-and-play. Just stick it in the memory cartridge slot in the Mini-Expander and leave the other slot free for new homebrew cartridges, which can load/save data to the flash card directly.

I happen to have one of the Tandy controllers. They are in the shape of the Aquarius, you can tell they just re-badged them for the Tandy. Is there any way to adapt one of these to utilize the Command Control cartridge software?

I didn't see the AD&D Tresure of Tarmin manual scans up on the Aquarius group. I already have it scanned for inclusion on my website (If I ever find the time), did you need a copy for the multi-cart project?

That's interesting about the Tandy X10 interface. The fact that they were still using the original Aquarius-style cases seems to suggest that they repackaged the system for the CoCo fairly quickly. If so, they would have had to write all new software, but the hardware interface probably didn't change very much at all. If the Tandy interface could be made to work with the original Aquarius software, it might be possible to reverse engineer it and make new ones specifically for the Aquarius. Might be a fun project to do someday. I'm really surprised that Radofin didn't try to sell that system themselves after they got the Aquarius rights back; it seems like the home security/automation market would have been a good one for the Aquarius after it failed as a home computer.

As for the AD&D manual, I do have a scan of it, but it's pretty low-res. It's legible, but I'd like to find a better one so I can get a good look at the map at the beginning (which I'd like to recreate on the screen in the electronic version), so if you could send me your scan, that would be great.

• Like 1

so if you could send me your scan, that would be great.

I didn't realize anyone was looking for Treasure of Tarmin. I had scanned it a while back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/loguidice/sets/72157606042738356/with/2648901536/

Doh! Cool, if you need higher res, just let me know.

Those scans go up to 1863 x 1244 or so.

so if you could send me your scan, that would be great.

I didn't realize anyone was looking for Treasure of Tarmin. I had scanned it a while back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/loguidice/sets/72157606042738356/with/2648901536/

Doh! Cool, if you need higher res, just let me know.

Those scans go up to 1863 x 1244 or so.

Oh cool! I'm a flicker newbie and didn't realize there were multiple resolutions. these are sweet scans.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to say that the second batch of prototypes has finally arrived:

aquarius_proto2_bare.jpg

aquarius_proto2_populated.jpg

I've been testing them this weekend, and so far, they've functioned perfectly. The few issues I've found were fixed fairly easily, so aside for a few cosmetic changes, this will likely be the final version of the hardware.

Much more to come shortly!

• Like 4

Just a quick update to say that the second batch of prototypes has finally arrived:

I've been testing them this weekend, and so far, they've functioned perfectly. The few issues I've found were fixed fairly easily, so aside for a few cosmetic changes, this will likely be the final version of the hardware.

Much more to come shortly!

**passes out from the excitement** :D :D :D

Looks very nice :) Wonder what prize will be.. I would like to buy one when its ready.

Thank you!

I haven't finalized the price yet, but it will probably be $65 plus shipping for one assembled and tested multi-cart board, which you can insert into any Aquarius cartridge "donor" that you might have in your collection. If you need a cartridge shell to go with it, I have a limited quantity of new shells that I will offer for an extra $10 each. Since these shells will come from new copies of Night Stalker, you'll get a Night Stalker box, manual, and overlay set to go with them.

I'd love to offer new shells for everyone, of course, but they're somewhat rare, and especially difficult to come by new and in large quantities. Unfortunately, having new shells manufactured is out of the question because of the high cost of plastic tooling.

• Like 1

Just let me know when I can buy one of these things. Wonderful product!

Thank you. I'm making a list of everyone who has expressed interest, either here or through PMs or e-mail. When they're finally ready (within the next few weeks, I'm hoping), you'll be the first ones to know.

It would be awesome to have one of these in my greedy little paws before Christmas... then I can stick it under the tree for ME :D

So I'll be "THAT GUY"

:D

This is a menu driven multi cart that has all the cartridge based games on it.

What's next? ;)

Probably the video upgrade board (which I mentioned earlier in another thread) and a new game. I can't finish the game until I have the video upgrade to test it on, and I can't test the video upgrade without having software written for it, so I'll do both at the same time.

Check the "mockups" that I posted in the SuperFont thread for an idea of what the game might be. :D

• Like 1

So I'll be "THAT GUY"

:D

This is a menu driven multi cart that has all the cartridge based games on it.

What's next? ;)

This opens up the door for homebrew cartridge games and reproduction cartridge games using the same board Jay has developed. Not to mention 32k memory cartridges and other cool things for the Aquarius platform.

The rumor mill has it that Jay's next Aquarius project after the cartridges will be a single mod S-Video/Composite Video/Enhanced Character Set kit.

EDIT: DOH!!!!!! Jay beat me to it!

Edited by the-topdog
  • Like 1

Ooooooooh. Does anyone make text adventure games anymore? I am tempted to make one in old-school basic. Maybe I should do it on the Aquarius. I've never done one, but I can try. :ponder:

There are a large number of talented text adventure authors out there, yes. Most of them use modern day languages like Inform, among others, that are extremely powerful (and relatively easy to use if you put in the effort) and have interpreters that run on a wide variety of platforms. The power in these modern day dev tools results in games with arguably slightly greater technical prowess/flexibility than what Infocom was able to achieve in their heyday. Some of the games even reach/arguably exceed that level of overall quality in the writing as well.

With all of the above said, there's no reason why reasonably competent text adventures couldn't be made for even an unexpanded Aquarius, since they were available on even more modest systems, like the ZX80.