IGNORED

Name that Game - history lesson requested please

GeneralHellfire

People have speculated, but I don't believe they ever picked an official winner (they certainly never announced anything).

If it means anything to you, the game was originally developed under the title 'Guardians of Treasure' before they decided on the "Name This Game" promotion.

People have speculated, but I don't believe they ever picked an official winner (they certainly never announced anything).

If it means anything to you, the game was originally developed under the title 'Guardians of Treasure' before they decided on the "Name This Game" promotion.

The game was later released in Europe as "Octopus". Alternate names I have on file: Galleons Gold and Guardians (of the Deep). I don't know where I got that last one but it was very recently.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

In an article in the May 1983 issue of Electronic Fun With Computers & Games, Ron Dubren states the concept of this game was originally done in February 1982 and offered to Parker Brothers for use with their Jaws license. After they lost the licence, he showed it to Jim Wickstead (of James Wickstead Design Associates), who accepted it in August. A team of 5 worked to fully develop it, and finished it in October. "Treasures of the Deep" was the original name, then it was "Guardians of the Deep". After being advised not to use "The Deep" in the title, it was submitted to US Games who changed it to "Guardians of Treasure". Marketing then decided to have a contest to name it - a $10,000 dollar first prize was offered to the person who could come up with the most original name. The deadline was April 30, 1983. We've also seen it referred to elsewhere as "Galleon's Gold" (on Amiga's Power Play Arcade #2), "Guard of Treasure" (in VideOlivery ads), "Guardians of the Treasure", and "Guardian of the Deep". A prototype also exists labeled as "Octopussy". Digital Press Re-sponsored a contest in 1994, and the winner was Russ Perry Jr. with "Going Under", an appropriate name for both the game and the state of affairs at US Games when it was released.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 4

In an article in the May 1983 issue of Electronic Fun With Computers & Games, Ron Dubren states the concept of this game was originally done in February 1982 and offered to Parker Brothers for use with their Jaws license. After they lost the licence, he showed it to Jim Wickstead (of James Wickstead Design Associates), who accepted it in August. A team of 5 worked to fully develop it, and finished it in October. "Treasures of the Deep" was the original name, then it was "Guardians of the Deep". After being advised not to use "The Deep" in the title, it was submitted to US Games who changed it to "Guardians of Treasure". Marketing then decided to have a contest to name it - a $10,000 dollar first prize was offered to the person who could come up with the most original name. The deadline was April 30, 1983. We've also seen it referred to elsewhere as "Galleon's Gold" (on Amiga's Power Play Arcade #2), "Guard of Treasure" (in VideOlivery ads), "Guardians of the Treasure", and "Guardian of the Deep". A prototype also exists labeled as "Octopussy". Digital Press Re-sponsored a contest in 1994, and the winner was Russ Perry Jr. with "Going Under", an appropriate name for both the game and the state of affairs at US Games when it was released.

8)

Thank you for the fascinating information. Is there any history of U.S. Games or Vidtec on the internet? I've always been interested in that company, especially since they were owned by Quaker Oats. I'd love to know what it was like running or working for a video game company owned by a food company.

Is there any history of U.S. Games or Vidtec on the internet? I've always been interested in that company, especially since they were owned by Quaker Oats. I'd love to know what it was like running or working for a video game company owned by a food company.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/145732-us-games-vidtec-what-is-the-link/

BTW, the fact that U.S. Games was owned by a "food company" (Quaker Oats) has no more relevance than the fact that Parker Brothers was owned by one (General Mills). U.S. Games was nothing more than a brand moniker and all their game titles were done by outside developers.

In an article in the May 1983 issue of Electronic Fun With Computers & Games, Ron Dubren states the concept of this game was originally done in February 1982 and offered to Parker Brothers for use with their Jaws license.

Rep point for the info...

Question I have is if the company really could afford giving away the $10,000? It would be my guess that they thought the contest would sell the cart itself.

You'd have to calculate the per game expense to see how many they would have to sell to break even. Then, the question is will this (did this) promotion boost revenues?

Is there any history of U.S. Games or Vidtec on the internet? I've always been interested in that company, especially since they were owned by Quaker Oats. I'd love to know what it was like running or working for a video game company owned by a food company.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/145732-us-games-vidtec-what-is-the-link/

BTW, the fact that U.S. Games was owned by a "food company" (Quaker Oats) has no more relevance than the fact that Parker Brothers was owned by one (General Mills). U.S. Games was nothing more than a brand moniker and all their game titles were done by outside developers.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that General Mills owned Parker Bros. back then. I always enjoyed most of the Vidtec games, especially Space Jockey, Towering Inferno, and Word Zapper. So there was basically little in house development?

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that General Mills owned Parker Bros. back then. I always enjoyed most of the Vidtec games, especially Space Jockey, Towering Inferno, and Word Zapper. So there was basically little in house development?

AFAIK, there was no in-house development. Most if not all of the U.S. Games titles were developed by James Wickstead Design Associates and Western Technologies (both of whom developed games for other publishers as well).

• 4 years later...

I don't think that "Guardians of Treasure" was another name for "Name this Game".

The vidtec price list from June 1982 lists "Guardians of Treasure" as VC1008 and "Untitled" as VC1007.

"Name this game" is VC1007.

So "Guardians of Treasure" was not "Name this Game"

In an article in the May 1983 issue of Electronic Fun With Computers & Games, Ron Dubren states the concept of this game was originally done in February 1982 and offered to Parker Brothers for use with their Jaws license. After they lost the licence, he showed it to Jim Wickstead (of James Wickstead Design Associates), who accepted it in August. A team of 5 worked to fully develop it, and finished it in October. "Treasures of the Deep" was the original name, then it was "Guardians of the Deep". After being advised not to use "The Deep" in the title, it was submitted to US Games who changed it to "Guardians of Treasure".

Something about this story can not be true.

Here is the review of the CES 1982 from Atari: http://www.atarimania.com/documents/atari-2600-ces-review-1982.pdf

The CES was held in June 1982 and the document is dated 06/21/1982.

On page 82 is the Vidtec dealer price list, dated 06/06/1982.

Here is the May 1983 issue of Electronic Fun: http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/magazines/electronic-fun/pdf/Electronic_Fun_Computer_and_Games_Vol_01_07_1983_May.zip

On page 79 is the interview with Dubren.

EF: When did you come up with the concept for Name This Game?

DUBREN: Actually, Name This Game was developed as a concept in February 1982 to try to sell to Parker to use with their .Jaws license only Parker lost the license. The upshot was that I had this game partly developed when I showed it to Jim Wickstead, who had done a lot of U.S. Games' VCS software, and he liked it.

EF: At that point the game was nothing more than a story board?

DUBREN: Yes, a story board. This was in July when it was presented to U.S. Games. Approval came in August and the game was developed very quickly.

So how can a game that was presented to U.S. Games in July be on a price list from early June?

which issue of Video Games magazine are you referring to?

I was gonna say...there never was a game called 'Name that game' by US Games, but there was a game called ' Name this game'.

Anyway, according to Video Games (the magazine, available to read on DP site), US Games went under but according to law still had to pay the winning prize money.