IGNORED

Favorite Handheld Game

This also includes wrist game watches! ;) :thumbsup: I've got the Starfox wrist watch (still gotta put new batteries in it tho).

I was thinking, the coolest one I ever played was the Snoopy Tennis Game and Watch by Nintendo back in 4th grade. I really miss this game......

post-22489-12700251925_thumb.jpg

I just got the Coleco Galaxian handheld recently too.Love the sounds on it.Anyone have a favorite? I'd love to see some of your collections!!

Edited by lushgirl_80

The BurgerTime LCD game from Mattel Electronics.

It's actually by Bandai and I think Mattel just licensed it. But yes it's an excellent game.. I loved it a lot as a kid :)

My favorite is most definitely Hyper Olympic Challenge 5 (the handheld version of Konami's Track & Field game). It's unique in that it has a lot of the events from the arcade version and you can challenge your friends. But most especially for me because it's one of the rare games that I had that my mom actually got rid of! :lol: (she took it to her school to add to her students play stuff and it disappeared of course). It wasn't until years later I was able to get another one. :)

125-2592_IMG.jpg125-2529_IMG.jpg

Another one of my sentimental favorites is Attack Invader which isn't even an electronic game (it's electromechanical) and is a crappy piece of junk to be honest :lol: But it was my first home version of Space Invaders that I was able to find after begging my mom to go out and buy me one :P Yeah this predates all electronic versions such as Missile Invader, etc. etc. and the 2600 version. It really sucks. But I love it. :D

post-31-127008145187_thumb.jpg

I like the ones they sell at Wal-Mart for $1 each. I had the older ones but they came out with newer ones, so I bought them, too. I doubt I looked very sane when I walked down the aisles with 6 lcd minigames in my hands though. Was looking at the part numbers and apparently I might be missing some. Am going to the other Wal-Mart on Friday to see if I'm correct.

I like the ones they sell at Wal-Mart for $1 each. I had the older ones but they came out with newer ones, so I bought them, too. I doubt I looked very sane when I walked down the aisles with 6 lcd minigames in my hands though. Was looking at the part numbers and apparently I might be missing some. Am going to the other Wal-Mart on Friday to see if I'm correct.

I got a cheap Pinball handheld from Walgreen's a few months back. I hardly play it tho.

That Super Mario Bros. handheld looks really cool. Think I'll try to get that one soon too.

My favorite hand held games are the ones with the little steel balls in them. There's stuff like baseball, catch, and whatnot.

I'm not sure what my favorite eletric or electronic handheld would be. We had Digital Derby and we had two very small handhelds when we were kids. in one of them you were a chef stacking plates, and in the other you were a thief trying to escape from jail. I played them all quite a bit.

I used to have a Pong-like game called "Blip".

I also had Digital Derby! Good call Shadow! Same with Tom-Lynx on bringing up Merlin!

One I fondly recall that my grandparents splurged on for my tenth or eleventh birthday was a Crazy Climber from Bandai.

Those are old ones, but possibly my all-time favorite handheld game would be Pokemon Ruby for GBA.

Tomy-BlipBox.jpg

Bandai-CrazyClimber.jpg

I guess it's not really a handheld game, but my favorite of the electronic games from back in the late 70s/early 80s was the Dungeons & Dragons Electronic game. It was the one where you explored a dungeon via a membrane keyboard and mapped it out with little plastic wall pieces.

I always kind of wanted the Mattel LCD D&D game, but I never got to play it.

For anyone who likes these dedicated electronic handheld games, you might be interested in a keynote speech (about 55 minutes long) from CGE 2004 by Mike Rounds, who was Director of Engineering and New Product Development for Entex. Lots of good history there about Entex's games in particular. Here is a link from Digital Press.

I had this handheld Pac-Man clone called Epoch Man, which also had a stopwatch and a clock on it. Cool! I think I got it for a birthday back in '82 or so.

Epoch-EpochManPocket.jpg

If you want one, I can snag one from the guy at my local trade center who sells vintage games. I know he dont want too much for it.

Anywho, here is my list.

LCD Handhelds:

Super Mario Bros. (Fun!)

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

(I own all of the "mini-classic" versions)

Radica: Tank Assault

I also had this really cool little one called "Bombs Away" that used dot matrix graphics like the game boy, and even had a back-lit screen!

Breakout

Tetris

Space Invaders

Missile Command

Game Wizard: Goosebumps 4 in 1

R-Zone headseat

And I would also like to note, as embarrassing as it is, I loved tamagotchies and all the clones!

Gameboy:

Super Mario Land I & II

Kirbys Dream Land II

Donkey Kong Land

Game Gear:

Lion King

Sonic Blast

Columns

GBA:

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (AWESOME GAME!! Lots of replay value, has plenty of unlockable vehicles, beating the game in all the difficulty settings is a huge challenge, and a reward with an unlockable new cup.)

Duke Nukem Advance: Pretty sweet adaptation of Duke Nukem 3D

Doom II: Awesome and faithful port of Doom II by Torus games, has all of the original Doom II levels faithfully reconstructed, with computer quality music, all weapons and bosses, all correct textures (with the exception of the green blood) and sounds. Something you cant say about any other Doom port..

Star X: Sorta like a Star Fox clone.

Irrideon II

PSP:

Loco Rocco: Very creative fun game! Nothing like it since. No way to describe except weird ass hell & fun.

Mercury Meltdown Revolution: Fun, classic feeling, addictive, and mind bending, plus a cool sound score.

DS:

Mario Kart DS: Loved that they included track from MK64 and SMK, plus the game play itself felt more like MK64 which I loved, I was not a fan at all of MKDD, and not tooo fond of MKWii either.

New Super Mario Bros

I had this handheld Pac-Man clone called Epoch Man, which also had a stopwatch and a clock on it. Cool! I think I got it for a birthday back in '82 or so.

Epoch-EpochManPocket.jpg

If you want one, I can snag one from the guy at my local trade center who sells vintage games. I know he dont want too much for it.

I'm good, thanks. I have fond memories of playing it but I really don't need to bother with having it again. It'll probably be emulated someday. Thanks anyway though!

I'm good, thanks. I have fond memories of playing it but I really don't need to bother with having it again. It'll probably be emulated someday. Thanks anyway though!

We haven't seen any handheld emulators really.. but there are simulators out there. The thing about them though is they just approximate the gameplay. It's not really true to life especailly if you're very familiar with a game, then the differences become apparent.

I'll try to keep it short...

Modernish LCD games,

Mario (keychain)

Tetris (keychain)

Sudoku (touchscreen

Older LCD

Bowling

Baseball

Multi cart

Gamewizard TMNT 4 in one

Gamewizard Starwars 4 in one

Gameboy

Tetris

Mario's

Zelda

Lynx

Steel talons

Chips Challenge

Lemmings

GBA

Dooms

Sonics

Marios

Advance Wars

DS

Fighting Fantasy

NFS Nitro

PSP

LocoRoco

Game.com

Duke Nukem

Lightsout

Solitare

GameGear

Populous

Sonics

Of course, there's billions of others, but to keep the list short :P I have one LED bowling game that I really loved, but I can't find it and don't rmemeber the name (though it's not the mechanical Fireball game)

Edited by Video

I've been covering some of the old LCD and LED (okay, Vacuum Florescent Display. Happy now, NE1?) for 1UP. My favorite of the ones I've reviewed so far, by a wide margin, is Donkey Kong II. It's one of the double screen games by Nintendo, and it's so brilliantly designed that it's a whole lot of addictive fun nearly thirty years after it was released. Here's my review:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9025249

I've been covering some of the old LCD and LED (okay, Vacuum Florescent Display. Happy now, NE1?) for 1UP. My favorite of the ones I've reviewed so far, by a wide margin, is Donkey Kong II. It's one of the double screen games by Nintendo, and it's so brilliantly designed that it's a whole lot of addictive fun nearly thirty years after it was released. Here's my review:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9025249

Nice review man. :)

Dk2 is great, although I do take issue when you downplay "its lackluster single screen cousin". Come on man, the original G&W Donkey Kong Jr. is and remains one of the best G&W's of all time! Maybe it's just me, but I've owned both since they came out, and 28 years later I still like to pick up the original dkjr and flip the score (by trying to get double pts) for some quick fun. DK2 however remains in a shoe box and I break it out maybe once every seven years. :lol:

I guess I just like it more since it's a lot more frenetic in Game B and the action you get at the higher difficulties by quickly moving up down back and forth amongst a flood of birds and snapjaws simply isn't executed as well in the 2nd one. Also trying to hit 3 enemies with the fruit in the original adds a lot too :P

Anyway.. just my opinion :D