IGNORED

ABBUC contests 2010

Personally, I rated Robix and Ocean Detox highest, followed by H3x0r, Jewel Bits and Donny 2. On Jewel Bits, I considered the music too repetitive, Donny 2 IMHO definitely lacks a single player mode.

And I didn't consider Gwobby Strikes Back the worst of the bunch, either.

But cas' observations seem to be pretty correct.

Thorsten

Congratulations, ABBUC members!

Good to you, if you think that Ocean Detox is the best game of the year.

icon_surprised.gif

F.

Hi F.

I like your game Milk & Nuts, got to level 9 so far. The bonus round 3 has beaten me every time. I just wish the little guy moved a bit quicker and the springs were a bit slicker as they are a bit tricky, this would greatly improve the playability. Did you forget to put the '&' 'AND' on the title screen :D

I didn't vote (as I had an entry) but I thought Jewel Bits and Robbix were the most playable. Wow if other's can produce the speed of Robix for scrolling shoot'em-ups we will all be happy!

I voted in the contest and I am a programmer. I say this, because I have at least a slight idea of what the guys who handed in the software had to do.

And I played all of the games. I voted for Ocean Detox first, because it was the only game I really played for hours! I didn't gave it the full 10 points as it is easier to make then for example Milk Nuts.

Talking 'bout Milk Nuts... Much effort went into the levels I bet, however, the game is UNPLAYABLE for me. I watched a Youtube-vid from the NES version and.. ah.. that looked a bit faster. I hardly beat the first level because I didn't manage to get of the ladder before I was caught...

Robbix.. nice music and sound efx, good gameplay, but WAY to hard! After getting used to the game I managed to get the "bridge part" of the first level. Others at the JHV didn't even reached that part. After i died and saw at the Game Over screen that I had managed only half of the first level the motivation to play again went down the drain :(

Last but (maybe the least :) ) Star Protector... I hit the space ship 3 times with my cannon shots however, it wasn't destroyed WTF? I guess bad collision detection. In some screens even the standard PF colors were used! I mean using an A8 for 20 years you start to HATE these colors!

One last remark. In the beginning I wasn't sure how to judge the entries. As said, I have a good understanding of the effort which has to be put into the code and gfx. And I was about to judge this, but then I thought, I should only go for game play, because that is what makes a game a game.

I do not want to know what the creators of Crownland have thought 2007. Have we EVER seen a game with such a color style on the A8? The use of DLIs and designing the graphics around those was brilliant.

Its a bit like Pop Music. The songs in the Top 10 are never the hardest to make ones. This are the ones people buy the most. And lots of people love simple music. :(

• Like 3

I voted in the contest and I am a programmer. I say this, because I have at least a slight idea of what the guys who handed in the software had to do.

And I played all of the games. I voted for Ocean Detox first, because it was the only game I really played for hours! I didn't gave it the full 10 points as it is easier to make then for example Milk Nuts.

Talking 'bout Milk Nuts... Much effort went into the levels I bet, however, the game is UNPLAYABLE for me. I watched a Youtube-vid from the NES version and.. ah.. that looked a bit faster. I hardly beat the first level because I didn't manage to get of the ladder before I was caught...

Sorry, is is odd. You play OD for hours a predict some less work in it than into Milknuts? As you stated, Milknuts has some problems, particular with the moving speed, causing it being unplayable for you.

The mistake you're doing here is to think of the work behind the production. People who want to play a game do not need to look behind the scene. It's all about GFX, Sound, Gameplay...

Robbix.. nice music and sound efx, good gameplay, but WAY to hard! After getting used to the game I managed to get the "bridge part" of the first level. Others at the JHV didn't even reached that part. After i died and saw at the Game Over screen that I had managed only half of the first level the motivation to play again went down the drain icon_sad.gif

Robix is a game? IMHO Raster would do better working on RMT features ';)

Last but (maybe the least icon_smile.gif ) Star Protector... I hit the space ship 3 times with my cannon shots however, it wasn't destroyed WTF? I guess bad collision detection. In some screens even the standard PF colors were used! I mean using an A8 for 20 years you start to HATE these colors!

Well, If it is some strategic game, possibly you have to do upgrades before shooting at big ships. But actually, looking 5 minutes at it was time enough. Luckily the contest rules say that every production can take part every year after remarkable upgrades have been done. A strategic game with G2F-like images and enhanced POKEY-sounds would rule all.

One last remark. In the beginning I wasn't sure how to judge the entries. As said, I have a good understanding of the effort which has to be put into the code and gfx. And I was about to judge this, but then I thought, I should only go for game play, because that is what makes a game a game.

I do not want to know what the creators of Crownland have thought 2007. Have we EVER seen a game with such a color style on the A8? The use of DLIs and designing the graphics around those was brilliant.

Crownland lost against Yoomp! because Yoomp! simply was the better game. I voted even less for Crownland, because the demo looked already better. It was a not clever decision not to enhance Crownland and put it to the next contest.

OK. People like Robix and it should be placed 1.

Why?

To me it is a better interactive demo, yet payable.

It lost points of my votes for many causes.

1. The protagonist is to control like some flying object, not like a jumping Robot.

2. The Attack waves do better when some flying ship attacks them, but we have a jumping robot that seems to fly.

3. The Robot can sink, but it even cannot do a single step up , so, very often you have to jump into the enemies,., in both cases this means a step closer to the end.

4. You see very often very nice attack waves, but you cannot handle them. The Robot is simply too slow.

5. Sometimes Attack waves com from "behind" , did I miss a special shot?

It really plays like two different games ....

And let's have a look:

post-2756-128819054397_thumb.gif

This one reminds 99% of Zybex. No Problem with Zybex , in that game you fly into the enemies with one shot, opening the circle . inside the circle you can do a "round Attack", to kill them all.

post-2756-128819054525_thumb.gif

This one shows a Jump and Run. No problem with Jump & Runs, in those Games you can jump around, and/or, you have special weapons to kill them.

Seeing the gap in front, and the Attackwave above, and the available shots, you know you have to die next. Either by dropping into the Gap or jumping or flying ? slowly into the enemies.

In Ocean Detox everything fits. You get a fast look of what's to do, all necessary is nicely animated. Many bonusses and de- bonusses ;) are available , everything is explained and .... and .... and....

Even Ripper.... a dedicated Demo has already free moving "look and feel" and even different bonusses/shots.:

So, please someone may tell me , why the votes are wrong in the contest?

• Like 1

something very very strange will happen now:

Emkay, SPOT ON! :)

OK. People like Robix and it should be placed 1.

Why?

To me it is a better interactive demo, yet payable.

It lost points of my votes for many causes.

1. The protagonist is to control like some flying object, not like a jumping Robot.

2. The Attack waves do better when some flying ship attacks them, but we have a jumping robot that seems to fly.

3. The Robot can sink, but it even cannot do a single step up , so, very often you have to jump into the enemies,., in both cases this means a step closer to the end.

4. You see very often very nice attack waves, but you cannot handle them. The Robot is simply too slow.

5. Sometimes Attack waves com from "behind" , did I miss a special shot?

It really plays like two different games ....

And let's have a look:

post-2756-128819054397_thumb.gif

This one reminds 99% of Zybex. No Problem with Zybex , in that game you fly into the enemies with one shot, opening the circle . inside the circle you can do a "round Attack", to kill them all.

post-2756-128819054525_thumb.gif

This one shows a Jump and Run. No problem with Jump & Runs, in those Games you can jump around, and/or, you have special weapons to kill them.

Seeing the gap in front, and the Attackwave above, and the available shots, you know you have to die next. Either by dropping into the Gap or jumping or flying ? slowly into the enemies.

In Ocean Detox everything fits. You get a fast look of what's to do, all necessary is nicely animated. Many bonusses and de- bonusses ;) are available , everything is explained and .... and .... and....

Even Ripper.... a dedicated Demo has already free moving "look and feel" and even different bonusses/shots.:

So, please someone may tell me , why the votes are wrong in the contest?

something very very strange will happen now:

Emkay, SPOT ON! icon_smile.gif

I could have put it into 2 sentences 1st. But then someone may have wanted to explain it a little more precisely icon_wink.gif

Sentence 1:

A finished piece of Software always should place better in a contest.

Sentence 2:

Robix and Crownland have in common that they weren't finished as "Games".

Really, Robix is very influenced by Zybex (with flying protagonists) and the Protagonist is a hardly jumping Robot.

In every side scroller with a fixed speed, you can reach to kill all enemies. 1st it's very hard, but after collecting the needed bonusses, everything gets fair.

Just look at this:

It works on a real A8.... and offers "action" to the player.

Robix with some added "goodies" (needed game mechanics) and at least a good presentation at the start could be worth a 12 out of 10, because the A8 has a lack of good sidescrollers.

Edited by emkay

I like Robix as it has extremly fast slick scrolling and movement. I think it's key feature is that it's particularly fun on cooperative/2 player mode (and this is required to kill everything!). The idea that the person who shoots the last baddie in each wave gets the power up is also fun. The fact that it's challenging and you don't conmplete a stage after a few goes is also a good point, letting you start on the three stages is a nice touch too.

There are only a few two player simultaneous games that are really fun to play - for all abilities of player: Dandy, Gauntlet, and particularly Tube Baddies spring to mind so Robix is a welcome addition.

Robix 10/10 :thumbsup: :)

I like Robix as it has extremly fast slick scrolling and movement. I think it's key feature is that it's particularly fun on cooperative/2 player mode (and this is required to kill everything!). The idea that the person who shoots the last baddie in each wave gets the power up is also fun. The fact that it's challenging and you don't conmplete a stage after a few goes is also a good point, letting you start on the three stages is a nice touch too.

There are only a few two player simultaneous games that are really fun to play - for all abilities of player: Dandy, Gauntlet, and particularly Tube Baddies spring to mind so Robix is a welcome addition.

Robix 10/10 icon_thumbsup.gificon_smile.gif

You're funny. In the OD Thread you point to "similar games" in Basic, and you prefer a game that can be build in Basic and some DLI code aka Robix.

The PMg can be handled with DIM variables , the scroller can be handled with LMS and memory changes , and the movement is simple charmode resolution. Some "machine code" needing specials, like parallax scrolling ... are just not there. Particular the nifty special Attacks in Robix rule..... ;) Technically , ROBIX is "out of the book" and good game mechanics are missing.

Possibly a video with a full gameplay could change my mind ;)

Robix 10/10 icon_thumbsup.gificon_smile.gif

You're funny. In the OD Thread you point to "similar games" in Basic, and you prefer a game that can be build in Basic and some DLI code aka Robix.

The PMg can be handled with DIM variables , the scroller can be handled with LMS and memory changes , and the movement is simple charmode resolution. Some "machine code" needing specials, like parallax scrolling ... are just not there. Particular the nifty special Attacks in Robix rule..... ;) Technically , ROBIX is "out of the book" and good game mechanics are missing.

Possibly a video with a full gameplay could change my mind ;)

I play a lot, a real lot, of A8 games - trying to play them all; show me a basic game that has any reasonable let alone slick scrolling and movement :?:;)

What is good is that the abbuc contest has generated good interest and discussion, whatever game we each think is the best. When I entered last year with Gorilla Warfare (a bit too slow but I was pleased with it as it was challenging and I learned a few things), there were only six entires, I wanted to show some support as there would be no competition or prizes for the guys who are releasing the better m/code games, and it is important that we support the few people who are still active in our atari world. And it's paid off as this year there were so many entries. Also with all qualities of programs being entered it helps encourage others starting to code to take part.

p.s. Fandal I've read your blog hope you aren't too fed up now - at least you were not last for two years running, like me :D Hope you saw the comments re speed and can do a v1.1 of Milk&Nuts! I think the key to games is playability - graphics and sounds make a good game great, take the HSC the only games that are good to play get suggested, take qix for example. You're right that some games are slow burners that may seem to hard initially but you then go back to them, whereas others are instantly playable but you soon get fed up with them.

As an author the best thing is that your game gets played, and I guess testing and feedback is the most important thing here. If anyone ever has a project and wants some testing I'm available (and keen)! The other point is that just because a game looks easy for one person to code it may have taken another person a year or just two weeks - the end product may not be a guide to the effort put in, well maybe over the coders lifetime. For example, I spent nearly a year on each of my last three games, but may be I'm just a perfectionist, or a bit slow typing :ponder:

take it easy every1 and game on :)

trbb

I play a lot, a real lot, of A8 games - trying to play them all; show me a basic game that has any reasonable let alone slick scrolling and movement icon_question.gificon_wink.gif

It's a shame, I lost some of my old disks. 12 years at the attic did their work. I did some fun games in basic. One was named "Galactic Raid" , I'd bet it was the only Basic game with a real digi sound track , made in gr. 9 based with character movement.

p.s. Fandal I've read your blog hope you aren't too fed up now - at least you were not last for two years running, like me icon_mrgreen.gif Hope you saw the comments re speed and can do a v1.1 of Milk&Nuts! I think the key to games is playability - graphics and sounds make a good game great, take the HSC the only games that are good to play get suggested, take qix for example. You're right that some games are slow burners that may seem to hard initially but you then go back to them, whereas others are instantly playable but you soon get fed up with them.

Well, I was reading the blog via Live Search, and found some weird comments there. He named Robix and Milk-Nuts Action games.

It seems, they lost focus - after doing the huge projects - on the real perspective. I may just remind Yoomp!. The game puts some limits to the A8. But you never have the feeling to have the limits reached anywhere. The gameplay is "by words" round icon_wink.gif .

Particular Fandal may have a look at Nuts & Milk and possibly recognize, why the original Version is an "action" game.

Look, how they walk, how they jump , and how they fall. Or even better, look at the charme of the original.

Edited by emkay

Just chiming in to give encouragement to Fandal. It would be easy to be disappointed due to the contest results... however, do not give up! Your contributions to the modern A8 scene are really appreciated. It is obvious that you and Raster put a lot of time and effort into these games. Both Milk&Nuts and Robix are good games in their current state, with a bit more polish they could become classics. Robix in particular is a lot of fun to play, particularly with two people. Back in the day, my brother and I would have stayed up many late nights playing this (although now it is a bit harder since we live in different parts of the country).

I look forward to new games from you in the future.

There are only a few two player simultaneous games that are really fun to play - for all abilities of player:

This type of games are extermely cool. What about: Zybex, Castle Crisis and The Goonies?

In Joust it is also cool: In one game you play one moment against your opponent, and the other time you have to play in cooperation mode. I like that too.

Greetz.

M.

I'd like to present small petition as a player who enjoys H3X0R Deluxe ;) Would there be a chance to add "PAUSE" option to this game? As time is an all important factor there and sometimes one needs to go away from computer for a while it would be very useful. The competitor ("Jewel Bits") supports it (SELECT key) and even the board gets blank to avoid cheating :)

I'd like to present small petition as a player who enjoys H3X0R Deluxe ;) Would there be a chance to add "PAUSE" option to this game? As time is an all important factor there and sometimes one needs to go away from computer for a while it would be very useful. The competitor ("Jewel Bits") supports it (SELECT key) and even the board gets blank to avoid cheating :)

There's always another (cheating) solution....

Run your game in Atari800Win Plus and hit <alt>, this'll pause everything and you can also work out what to do next...!

There's always another (cheating) solution....

Run your game in Atari800Win Plus and hit <alt>, this'll pause everything and you can also work out what to do next...!

Isn't F9 key better? :)

I don't want to cheat in H3X0R Deluxe(!) I do want a PAUSE option on REAL Atari ;)

QMEG OS has a freez function. ;)

What I would like to have, is a "savestate" option. You miss it on teh real Atari when oyu got used to it from the emulators :)

Hehe, I think you need a Turbo Freezer. I think mega_hz and Hias will do a new production run in 2011.