IGNORED

MovieMaker Animations

Big_Mo

Hey all:

Been working on preserving and converting a lot of my old work from various computers, notably animation work done on the XL/XE, ST and PC. I recently reconstructed a

, and just today finished converting the lot of my oldest animations. Those were made with the Reston and then EA releases of MovieMaker. I put these Final Cut and rendered out a version which I just put up on YouTube.

I watched these videos, and thought they were very cool. It is obvious how much effort must have gone into creating those. I am really grateful Big Mo that you tidied them up and reworked them so we could all appreciate them in video format.

Thanks. In putting that together I opened up the original animation data and got a laugh looking at how we'd done them. Also, with 23-24 years hindsight, I see how I should have done them.

The big challenge back then were the limitations: the resolution, the four colors at once restriction, and the fact that any animation could only be 300 frames maximum.

It was a treat to watch the animations and the amazing Star Trek game idea - could that really be pulled of on A8 hardware???

Here's another Atari MovieMaker video I found on YouTube:

, which is an actual short made entirely with MovieMaker by one Paul J. Tracy.

Cafeman: Well, everything you see in that Star Trek game demo was done on an 512K ST, so a good programmer could have done it on that system (it would have required some disc loading for different sequences). I still have all the art sheets that were used.

To do it on an Atari-8...well, it was intended as a 16-bit game (hence mocked-up on the ST), but it's basically a Star Raiders type game with a some much flashier graphics, so some kind of version of it could have been done on an 8-bitter.

Edited by Big_Mo

A fun note: I found Guy Nouri who was one of the founders of IPS that made MovieMaker, and sent him the link I posted here, plus the one to the Jonathan L. Seagull animation. His reply:

God Bless you - this is a true joy to watch.

Every once in a while one wonders "why did i do that"

Thanks for the delightful answer!!

all the best to you

Guy

Nice.