IGNORED

USB now supported...

JamesD

I was really hoping this was about usb game controllers, but maybe someday.

Truth be told, that's a big reason I don't do 360. I've sunk a lot of money into my driving setup--far more than a 360 is worth, and I don't feel like rebuying even pricier M$ licensed wheels and accessories.

Edited by Reaperman

Is this going to mess up the movie playback I can already do through a USB drive? I haven't done the update yet, as I currently have my ethernet cable plugged into our new PS3, which will undoubtedly be getting all the love for the next couple weeks until I realize that it's just a console and that both it and the Xbox are pretty much the same amount of fun to play.

I was really hoping this was about usb game controllers, but maybe someday.

Truth be told, that's a big reason I don't do 360. I've sunk a lot of money into my driving setup--far more than a 360 is worth, and I don't feel like rebuying even pricier M$ licensed wheels and accessories.

Same here. I love playing Nacmo collection (from the PSN store) with my Atari 2600 joystick. I also have some other PS2 sticks I use with an adapter.

My 360 is pre-falcon (or at least I think it is) and it supports it. I don't think movie playback has been altered but I haven't tried it.

BTW, my 360 now thinks it's overheating from the moment I turn it on. Oh no... that's not a hardware fault!

Let's see... pay for repairs and risk more failures OR

wait for the new console release OR

buy a PS3 OR

go back to PC gaming.

Decisions, decisions.

I just wanna update, not join Xbox Live..Is there a CD I can burn for the update??

Oh. Good question.

I've actually not heard this but it might be possible on some type of hacker site or something.

No clue really.

I have known MS to offer updates via disk in the past, you might call Xbox support and see if they can hook you up. Couldn't hurt.

I just wanna update, not join Xbox Live..Is there a CD I can burn for the update??

You don't need to join xbox live to update.. all it needs is to be connected to the internet.

That being said, to answer your question, Yes. Download SysUpdate9199 @ http://bit.ly/bQGXtH

Simply Unrar the file, and place the $SystemUpdate folder in the root of a USB thumbdrive, put it into your 360 and turn it on, and it will prompt you to update. :)

You don't need to join xbox live to update.. all it needs is to be connected to the internet.

I had a 360 I hadn't updated yet so I tried this.

It doesn't prompt you to update if you simply have the Xbox 360 connected to the internet and turn it on.

You need a profile on your 360 to get the update, but yes you don't need to join Live to get the update.

Just log on the 360 dash using any profile, go to the button that says you want to join Xbox Live and when it connects it'll tell you there is an update, choose update now. You wont ever make it to the part where you have to join anything, the 360 will reboot (with the update) and you'll be good to go.

I had a 360 I hadn't updated yet so I tried this.

It doesn't prompt you to update if you simply have the Xbox 360 connected to the internet and turn it on.

You need a profile on your 360 to get the update, but yes you don't need to join Live to get the update.

Just log on the 360 dash using any profile, go to the button that says you want to join Xbox Live and when it connects it'll tell you there is an update, choose update now. You wont ever make it to the part where you have to join anything, the 360 will reboot (with the update) and you'll be good to go.

Gotcha. Although for the most part you need a profile on the 360 to even play a game in the first place right? But yes, good instructions.

By the way that file above works great as well. It's what people use to update their banned 360's. Apparently it has the added benefit of de-crippling the hard drive and allowing games to be fully loaded onto them again.

By the way that file above works great as well. It's what people use to update their banned 360's. Apparently it has the added benefit of de-crippling the hard drive and allowing games to be fully loaded onto them again.

Really? I see banned Xboxs on eBay for cheap, I had considered snagging one but didn't know if there was a way to unban them or to use them in a banned state.

Really? I see banned Xboxs on eBay for cheap, I had considered snagging one but didn't know if there was a way to unban them or to use them in a banned state.

They're very very usable. Just forget about playing on Xbox live with them. For some people though that's not an issue.

..Not to mention usually they can play bootleg discs which is probably how they got banned in the first place :P