IGNORED

Broken 400

Tanman

Ok, pick up a 400 for $10 that doesn't work. Figured it would be a good place to get my feet wet on fixing old 8-bits. So, what do I do now? ;)

I figured I need to start with some design specs. Anyone direct me to a thread or site that I an pull this stuff up from?

Thanks!

Tanman

Tip #1 (got me the other day)

there's effectively 2 power switches, side of machine and the button that has to be activated when the cart door is closed.

I had my machine put half back together and forgot to put the little plunger back in for the door switch, so nothing happened.

Tip #1 (got me the other day)

there's effectively 2 power switches, side of machine and the button that has to be activated when the cart door is closed.

I had my machine put half back together and forgot to put the little plunger back in for the door switch, so nothing happened.

You can stick a fork in the cartridge door switch if your cartridge door has issues (My A800 has problems closing the switch when I close the cover).

It has not arrived yet. I'll dig into it and see what it is doing. Hopefully just a loose something that is an easy fix. Thanks for the links. Just what I needed.

Tanman

Normally, it's the video that goes bad on the A400/A800 as the capacitors or other parts on the power board seem to have a shorter lifespan than the rest of the computer. Most chips are socketed so besides having a longer lifespan, even if they go bad, you can swap them with chips from another machine line A5200.