IGNORED

BEST Atari Made Arcade Game

A2600

Due to its coolness when it first came out and due to the fact it has aged really well almost 20 years later, I'd have to pick Star Wars. I was blown away by that game in 84 and still love to play it to this day. To me, this game really illustrated how great Atari was when they were at the top of their game.

Pun intended.

Not that I'd say it was THE best game made by them, but I'd say overall due to originality, overall fun, the graphics and even some humor made Major Havoc very cool indeed.

BTW Inky, even though you changed it several days ago, that's a pretty clever new avatar...

That's actually an older avatar, but thanx for the props!

I'm just looking to tweak it for thanksgiving now... :)

My one favorite Atari game? That's a tough one, since there are so many that I've always liked. I'd probably have to give the nod to Crystal Castles (Xevious would be my first choice, but since it's technically a Namco game it's disqualified). As far as the Atari Corp. games are concerned, War - Final Assault kicks major asteroids! :D

HEAVY***6***er

I never saw Major Havoc in the Arcade, but playing it on MAME, I just don't see what the attraction to it is....

Well there's your first problem ;) Arcade games (especially the classic dedicated cabinets) are NEVER given full justice when playing on mame... Well, maybe post-JAMMA games are, but definitely not the majority of the dedicated games. Just too many factors involved imho.

But yeah Major Havoc is a goody. It uses a roller controller by the way... So playing it with a keyboard, or pad, or even a mouse will never give you the control you need. Although a spinner could probably suffice...

Whoa, NICE NE146! You make me drool, I haven't played that game since the 80s or early 90s... :(

On www.gamearchive.com, under Atari Vector Games (obviously), a guy did a new version of it, complete with an ending, as he always thought Major Havoc should've escaped for good, as the original had no ending (not sure if it's still there, actually--I hadn't been on in a while--but it's a cool site nonetheless)...

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a tough one as you're going to get responses across the board on that. You should do categories like:

Best B&W

Best Racing

Best Space

Best Action/Adventure and so on....

Myself in those groups:

B&W: Atari Orbit

Racing: I agree, Final lap is just soooo addictive

Best Space: Toughy there, I'd say Asteroids, but I love Tempest (just for the sound effects alone!) Spacelords is a sleeper hit IMHO

Best Action/Adv: Gauntlet series!

Curt

• 4 weeks later...

What? No mention of Primal Rage?!

(just kidding, just kidding! You can put down the clubs now!)

Seriously, though, Xybots, Roadblasters, and STUN Runner are fun. Most of the later Atari coin-ops didn't leave as lasting an impression on me as the other arcade games from the late 80's and early 90's, but they were easy to play, user friendly, and ultimately enjoyable. They rely heavily on the arcade experience, though... they're simply not as fun on an emulator, probably because you're not playing them with Atari's specialized controllers.

JR