IGNORED

Top 5 must have 7800 games

Lendorien

I'm looking to expand my 7800 collection, but I have a limited budget. I'll be cruising ebay and Gamegavel for deals, but I'm not too familiar with the 7800's library. What 5 games do others here feel are absolutely the top games that every 7800 owner should have? This can include homebrews, though I'm less likely to buy those due to price.

My current collection was mostly picked up with my 7800 at Goodwill. I've added Ms. Pac-man and Robotron 2084 from a $4 (with shipping) auction on e-bay. The collection consists of:

Ace of Aces

Centipede

Choplifter!

F-18 Hornet

Joust

Karateka

Ms. Pacman

Pole Position II

Robotron 2084

Tomcat

Xevious

Xenophobe

So, what should I add, or are some of those in your list? Feel free to include runners-up.

Galaga seems to have a couple votes followed by Alien Brigade. I'll put those on the top of my list.

Galaga actually kinda sux on the 7800 compared to other systems.

I'd go with

Alien Brigade

Ikari Warriors

Ninja Golf

Midnight Mutants

Tower Toppler

Basketbrawl

Incredible Homebrews:

Beef Drop

Pac-Man Collection

Bonq

Top 5 7800 IMO,that i have.

Midnight Mutants

Ninja Golf(repetitive,can be,but still very original game)

Food Fight

Missing In Action-bought here at AA,(although not %100 complete,still a great effort!)

Tower Toppler

Edited by Rik

What, no love for Donkey Kong or DK Jr? I think it's my favorite home version. Otherwise, I think all my favs are listed.

Probably because they are based off the NES versions with inferior sound. They even have tia versions of the themes from the NES versions.

Most of the 7800's arcade ports are extremely good, there are only a couple of stinkers like Hat Trick and Mat Mania.

It Hat Trick a stinking port of a good game or a good port of a stinking game?

I've always wondered that myself. I suspect it may be the latter.

Mitch

Most of the 7800's arcade ports are extremely good, there are only a couple of stinkers like Hat Trick and Mat Mania.

It Hat Trick a stinking port of a good game or a good port of a stinking game?

I threw-up in my mouth when I first played Hat Trick. The game reminds of some bad shareware found at the old Download SuperStore...

Alien brigade is hard to find? Sweet. Love that game. I just checked the 78 list and noted I had that and Ikari warriors, an r6. Crossbow is another favorite (definitely great in the arcades, although this port is the best one I know about). So is an R6 7800 game as rare as an r6 2600 or are they relative to each other? I rarely see even common 7800 titles in the wild.

Alien Brigade

Crossbow

Commando (Ignore or forget all other inferior versions of this game)

Ninja Golf is really cool, but it's not that amazing gameplay wise... Still, who could say no?

Xevious (the best port of this game, if you don't have other versions)

Dark Chambers (kinda like gauntlet or tower of druaga)

Edited by DickNixonArisen

Alien brigade is hard to find? Sweet. Love that game. I just checked the 78 list and noted I had that and Ikari warriors, an r6. Crossbow is another favorite (definitely great in the arcades, although this port is the best one I know about). So is an R6 7800 game as rare as an r6 2600 or are they relative to each other? I rarely see even common 7800 titles in the wild.

Alien Brigade

Crossbow

Commando (Ignore or forget all other inferior versions of this game)

Ninja Golf is really cool, but it's not that amazing gameplay wise... Still, who could say no?

Xevious (the best port of this game, if you don't have other versions)

Dark Chambers (kinda like gauntlet or tower of druaga)

7800 game rarity is pretty much on par with 2600 rarity for the most part. The value of 2600 rares VS 7800 rares is much different though. Alien Brigade NTSC is a R6 or R7 IIRC and it's only worth about $50 to $75 CIB or NIB where a title of equal rarity for the 2600 on average would sell for much more.