IGNORED

Kjmann's 8-Bit Evolution Power Converter For XL/XE's

Kjmann

Hello Sal

I don't live in Europe for one. shipping here would be ridiculous.

I'm Sorry you don't like what I've Done, but I didn't do this just for you.

Besides, What happens when that one dies? Will there be more around?

These things are made in China, like most things nowadays, so shipping shouldn't be a problem. But since we use a different voltage and a different kind of plug, I guess that could be a problem. :D

I ordered four at a time, so I don't think I'll run out of them. But I'm sure these things will be available in some way, shape or form in 15 to 20 years or so. So I'm not worrying.

greetings

Mathy

But I'm sure these things will be available in some way, shape or form in 15 to 20 years or so. So I'm not worrying.

Good thing - since yours are Chinese made, odds are you will be looking for replacements...

;)

Edited by Havok69

What I would rather have is a power supply that has the ability to run several machines and multiple peripherals as well... for example have one power cable to the wall and then either multiple cables coming out the other end (two or three 5 dins @ 5v, and five or so barrel connectors @ 9v for peripherals), the cables could either be hardwired, or plug and play (double ended - so you only connect what you need)

What I would rather have is a power supply that has the ability to run several machines and multiple peripherals as well... for example have one power cable to the wall and then either multiple cables coming out the other end (two or three 5 dins @ 5v, and five or so barrel connectors @ 9v for peripherals), the cables could either be hardwired, or plug and play (double ended - so you only connect what you need)

I would think that kind of defeats the purpose of this adapter. To support your configuration you'd need one beefy power supply plugging into the unit, and most people don't have 2A plus adapters lying around. So you'd have to purchase one, and the higher amperage ones can get pricey...

That would be sweet!!

I would think that kind of defeats the purpose of this adapter. To support your configuration you'd need one beefy power supply plugging into the unit, and most people don't have 2A plus adapters lying around. So you'd have to purchase one, and the higher amperage ones can get pricey...

Of course it defeats the purpose, I'm talking about a completely different type of product. I have no need for a single adaptor as I would have to buy at least eight of them. What I am talking about is something that has the PSU built in. I'm not talented or knowledgeable enough to make something like this but I've seen such items via Euro Atari sites and would be interested in a US sourced version at a reasonable price. Looks like KJMann is already making a type of product and was throwing the idea out there to see if anyone else was interested in making it.

How about something that would convert an ATX power supply to something usable by 8-bit computers? Those are cheap and plentiful and can push lots of amps.

That said, this looks like a great replacement for my 600XL's ingot. I'm sure I have a spare NES power supply around. Good stuff.

IIRC there is a doc floating around on the web with details of how someone did just this, running an A8 plus 1050s from a PC supply. I'll dig it out when I get home if I remember (and no-one else beats me to it). I think it might have been one of the ABBUC guys. Anyway I've had just such a project in the back of my mind for a while but I never seem to get the time to play with it.

Deffinately one of the ABBUC guys, I remember reading it two years or so ago, can't find it now though:roll:

http://home.arcor.de/grasel/restarte.htm

the switching power supply here. There are instructions for download but they are in german lol

Deffinately one of the ABBUC guys, I remember reading it two years or so ago, can't find it now though:roll:

http://home.arcor.de...el/restarte.htm

the switching power supply here. There are instructions for download but they are in german lol

That is one huge ugly mofo! If I were going to build that, I'd want to find one of the smaller switching power supplies to keep the size down.

How about something that would convert an ATX power supply to something usable by 8-bit computers?

Converting what? ATX already supplies everything you need.

For most DC powered devices it's a matter of making an adapter cable.

For the AC ones you can connect the ATX supplied lines by using an alternative custom input you'll have to make yourself on your device. Same for 9VDC devices.

Hello guys

The switching power supply the Frankfurter Hardware Group shows on it's site has been developed years ago. This thing must be over 15 years old. I guess if Thomas had to do it again, the new design would be a lot smaller. BTW these are the same guys that brought you the SIO2USB.

The real problem with the Frankfurter Power Supply I guess is that you have to power on every device that's hooked to it (IIRC max. 2 1050's and 2 computers) at the same time. Which might have been possible via a switch on the supply. This however meant that it you switched on one computer and later decided to switch on another computer, this was not possible since the power supply monitored the current that was drawn from it. A relatively high raise in current draw (a second computer means current draw would probably be twice as high) is seen by the supply as a possible short. IIRC the device would then switch off completely. Remember, the design of this device is 15 maybe even 20 years old.

greetings

Mathy

PS have a look at the automatic two computer interface. It's a very nice device, but it's not compatible to the SIO2USB.

How about something that would convert an ATX power supply to something usable by 8-bit computers?

Converting what? ATX already supplies everything you need.

For most DC powered devices it's a matter of making an adapter cable.

For the AC ones you can connect the ATX supplied lines by using an alternative custom input you'll have to make yourself on your device. Same for 9VDC devices.

XE/XL only use 5VDC so ATX already has that level of voltage. Just need to build a box for the ATX power supply or towerize the Atari.

Hello guys

The switching power supply the Frankfurter Hardware Group shows on it's site has been developed years ago. This thing must be over 15 years old. I guess if Thomas had to do it again, the new design would be a lot smaller. BTW these are the same guys that brought you the SIO2USB.

The real problem with the Frankfurter Power Supply I guess is that you have to power on every device that's hooked to it (IIRC max. 2 1050's and 2 computers) at the same time. Which might have been possible via a switch on the supply. This however meant that it you switched on one computer and later decided to switch on another computer, this was not possible since the power supply monitored the current that was drawn from it. A relatively high raise in current draw (a second computer means current draw would probably be twice as high) is seen by the supply as a possible short. IIRC the device would then switch off completely. Remember, the design of this device is 15 maybe even 20 years old.

greetings

Mathy

PS have a look at the automatic two computer interface. It's a very nice device, but it's not compatible to the SIO2USB.

I knew it was an older device, I just figure someone here who is more knowledgeable could make it better