IGNORED

Sword of Iffrit [WIP]

rpgfaker

If anyone remembers this one it's been over a year since I worked on it and after poking around on the hard drive I found the old versions and decided to take up the cause again, so here's the last build 18 and we'll see where I can take it from here.

You start out at your long house and must survive the perils of the forest to retrieve the Sword of Iffrit from it's hidden location, scour caves, castles, and ancient ruins and return the sword to your house.

***note the winning condition at the moment can be achieved in build 19 by traveling inside the black castle [this sets the flag for receiving the sword] then traveling back to the long house and entering.

- current to do's:

repair score graphics [it was item icons]

slow down enemy and increase speed in higher difficulty

add additional graphics for Sword [main quest]and Power-Ups [side quests]

day and night sequences possibly

additional sound fx..maybe music on title

post-22144-127170194946_thumb.pngpost-22144-12717019584_thumb.pngpost-22144-127170196862_thumb.pngpost-22144-127170197873_thumb.pngpost-22144-127170198702_thumb.pngThe Sword of Iffrit alpha 18.bin

Here's the latest iffrit alpha 19.bin

Edited by rpgfaker

Fun game. Like it so far. Will be nice to see how this progresses.

Some problems I see so far:

- Going left on starting screen brings you to right side of starting screen. Intentional?

- When you kill a guy a heart is left behind. I just happened to not be able to reach the heart since it was on top of some playfield. When moving to a different screen the heart remains. It should probably disappear 1 - After so many seconds (maybe blink then disappear) and/or 2 - When you travel to a new screen.

Ideas:

- I think enemies shouldn't keep giving you hearts.. maybe it should be random. Right now I can do a trick by going back and fourth between screens to get my health all the way back to full and killing the same enemy over and over.

- Maybe all the enemies don't have to move so fast. Some screens I know I don't want to enter a certain way since I'll encounter the enemy in a way it makes it hard to fire. Heck, maybe not always have an enemy pop up? That's too predictable.

Some questions:

- Does the game do anything else yet? I go inside the castle and that's it so far? Just making sure I saw everything, tested everything I could, etc.

- Does the score mean anything?

Fun game. Like it so far. Will be nice to see how this progresses.

Some problems I see so far:

- Going left on starting screen brings you to right side of starting screen. Intentional?

- When you kill a guy a heart is left behind. I just happened to not be able to reach the heart since it was on top of some playfield. When moving to a different screen the heart remains. It should probably disappear 1 - After so many seconds (maybe blink then disappear) and/or 2 - When you travel to a new screen.

Ideas:

- I think enemies shouldn't keep giving you hearts.. maybe it should be random. Right now I can do a trick by going back and fourth between screens to get my health all the way back to full and killing the same enemy over and over.

- Maybe all the enemies don't have to move so fast. Some screens I know I don't want to enter a certain way since I'll encounter the enemy in a way it makes it hard to fire. Heck, maybe not always have an enemy pop up? That's too predictable.

Some questions:

- Does the game do anything else yet? I go inside the castle and that's it so far? Just making sure I saw everything, tested everything I could, etc.

- Does the score mean anything?

Yeah the screen jump is from lack of borders in the level design I'm still looking at redesigning what's there. I like your idea on limiting the heart collection time and I have code for random % drops but I have more to add since hearts won't be the only drop item. The trick with the enemy is still only useful under the current level design and AI I'm looking to make some changes to a few areas but play testing is the best way to see if any are fun. I guess if you counted the screens there's 15 in there the sword [flag] is the only real objective so far.

Lots of work to do on this one thanks for trying it

Not trying to sound picky or anything, but you think you could use the no_blank_lines kernel or would it be impossible with the current kernel being used? Just curious on the matter.

alpha 19 has no lines. Just check for the latest build. I have to reverse the player0 to player1 to make up for the loss of missle0 from adding no lines but it will help with some of the new things I'm trying to add, plus it does look a little better.