IGNORED

Help Identifying my Atari 800

BigSteve

Hello All,

I originally posted this over at Atari.com. What I have is an Atari 800 that has been labeled as a Varian VXR-200. A couple notable things, there is no cable from the back of the machine for a switch box. There is also a series of wires that appear to be soldered to the main board that go out to an input of some kind. One of the guys over at the Atari BBS said it may have been used at NASA JPL as a spectrometer reader. Any help at all in identifying this system would be greatly appreciated.

hpim1188.th.jpg

hpim1187.th.jpg

hpim1192.th.jpg

hpim1191e.th.jpg

Very interesting Steve!

Would it be possible to take a couple more pictures - one of the (is it blank or missing?) logo area, and another of the inside of the ROM cartridge? (remove the two screws on the metal plate and it should just fall out)

Its clearly a device that no one wanted you to know it was an Atari, the Name is covered on the front and the labels peeled off the RAM and ROM.

My guess is you will find that there are some custom inputs and outputs.

Probably a cartridge missing too

Very interesting Steve!

Would it be possible to take a couple more pictures - one of the (is it blank or missing?) logo area, and another of the inside of the ROM cartridge? (remove the two screws on the metal plate and it should just fall out)

Its clearly a device that no one wanted you to know it was an Atari, the Name is covered on the front and the labels peeled off the RAM and ROM.

My guess is you will find that there are some custom inputs and outputs.

Probably a cartridge missing too

Thanks for the quick replies. I am at work right now but once I am off I will get some more pictures and upload them.

Some more photos. I am not sure how to run that utility or do a ROM dump, is it easy to do or do I need special tools/utilities?

hpim1194.th.jpg

hpim1212zh.th.jpg

hpim1221.th.jpg

hpim1224.th.jpg

I guess one other thing you can find out is if it's GTIA or CTIA by running the following (needs BASIC cartridge):

10 GR.9

20 FOR T=0 TO 79:C.T/5:PLOT T,0:DR. T,191:NEXT T

30 IF PEEK(53279)<>6 THEN 30:REM PRESS START TO END PROGRAM (LIKE Windows XP)

You can easily remove the RF cable in any Atari 800; it's just a normal RCA-type connection inside but goes through some loops through an inductor as some sort of surge protector.

Hello All,

I originally posted this over at Atari.com. What I have is an Atari 800 that has been labeled as a Varian VXR-200. A couple notable things, there is no cable from the back of the machine for a switch box. There is also a series of wires that appear to be soldered to the main board that go out to an input of some kind. One of the guys over at the Atari BBS said it may have been used at NASA JPL as a spectrometer reader. Any help at all in identifying this system would be greatly appreciated.

I don't recall anyone saying anything about NASA JPL at the Atari.Com forums. What I stated was

"There was no Atari model computer by that designation, even in prototype form. My guess is it's simply an Atari 800 that was re-purposed/re-badged for private use by Varian(an electronics and scientific equipment company). Lots of industries wound up doing that, including manufacturing plants, cable companies, etc."

What Curt said was:

"Its most likely one of the video overlay Atari's that were used by supermarkets, cable tv companies and such, I have 2 such computers in the Atari Museum inventory. The modifications and software were done by 3rd party companies, then they'd buy stock Atari's, put their boards and cartridge software into them and just change the label on the computer case."

When you say 'main board' steve, you mean the 800's motherboard, or do you mean the o s rom board

I've seen a similar switch to that, mine came with computer support's 'ultimon' (a built in resident monitor), I think the ultimon board fitted onto the o s rom board somehow and the switch I think was soldered onto the ultimon board or o s rom board and you could 'toggle' between the 800 o s and the Ultimon o s

When you say 'main board' steve, you mean the 800's motherboard, or do you mean the o s rom board

I've seen a similar switch to that, mine came with computer support's 'ultimon' (a built in resident monitor), I think the ultimon board fitted onto the o s rom board somehow and the switch I think was soldered onto the ultimon board or o s rom board and you could 'toggle' between the 800 o s and the Ultimon o s

The 800's motherboard from what I can tell.

If you could determine the connection points of the external input, it'd go a long way to explaining just what it is and how it probably works.

Maybe it's some sort of parallel I/O that they've rigged to work from a Page D5/D6 address, or it might just be hooked up to the joystick or POT lines.

Honestly, your best bet is to contact Varian and ask them direct if there's anybody left there from 28 years ago that could tell you what this was modified to do for them. You might be surprised and actually get a response.

Kinda kicking myself for not thinking of that. I'll see if I can contact anyone, thanks :)