IGNORED

Mapping variation

lbaeza

Hi there

Check the attached picture. It shows two versions of the excellent "Mapping the Atari" book, one states "published by COMPUTE! Books, a division of Small System Services, Inc.", and the other one reads "COMPUTE! Publications, Inc. abc A subsidiary of American Broadcasting Companies, Inc."

Which one came first?

Regards

post-86-12719077158_thumb.jpg

I believe the COMPUTE! Books one came first. ABC bought Small System Services IIRC.

I think you are correct, I have the revised edition that Rybags is referring to. That came out in 1985 and it has the COMPUTE Publications logo the same as the one on the right.

I also have the non revised copy that is shown on the right in the picture and the interesting thing is if you look at the copyright notice on the page over from that it reads

"Printed and published in the United States of America by COMPUTE! Books, A Division of COMPUTE! Publications, Inc. Robert C. Lock, President and Publisher"

So all they changed was the logo page.

Ibaeza, what happened to the front covers? Mine have the glossy printed cover with the Atari Logo.

I believe the COMPUTE! Books one came first. ABC bought Small System Services IIRC.

I think you are correct, I have the revised edition that Rybags is referring to. That came out in 1985 and it has the COMPUTE Publications logo the same as the one on the right.

I also have the non revised copy that is shown on the right in the picture and the interesting thing is if you look at the copyright notice on the page over from that it reads

"Printed and published in the United States of America by COMPUTE! Books, A Division of COMPUTE! Publications, Inc. Robert C. Lock, President and Publisher"

So all they changed was the logo page.

Ibaeza, what happened to the front covers? Mine have the glossy printed cover with the Atari Logo.

that was the Revised Edition for XL/XE one, the pictured above books are original/first run...

inside my revised edition on the copyright page it says:

Revised edition copyright 1985, Ian Chadwick. All rights reserved

Previous edition copyright 1983 by Irata Press, Ltd. Michael Reichmann, Publisher.

this one in front of me is 5th printing, other one i have is probly also 5th printing too...

sloopy.

Hi there

The covers of both versions are exactly the same. BTW, I always liked the drawing on the front cover...who did it?

I also attached a scan of page "ii" of both versions, and they look the same, except for the Compute! logo, please look at the attached pics and you'll see...

And of course I am aware of the "XL/XE" version of Mapping, but this version comes with some sort of cardboard jacket...

Regards

post-86-127199697993_thumb.jpg

post-86-127199699307_thumb.jpg

post-86-12719970074_thumb.jpg

post-86-127199704875_thumb.jpg

post-86-127199707597_thumb.jpg

post-86-12719970916_thumb.jpg

I also attached a scan of page "ii" of both versions, and they look the same, except for the Compute! logo, please look at the attached pics and you'll see...

Your page ii scans contain the answer!

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 is the first printing

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 [with the '1' removed] is the second printing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer's_key

(I have a copy of the 2nd printing here too, also with the ABC logo on the title page.)

Your page ii scans contain the answer!

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 is the first printing

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 [with the '1' removed] is the second printing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer's_key

(I have a copy of the 2nd printing here too, also with the ABC logo on the title page.)

Thanks for the link - I've spent a solid hour reading up on the old Linotype machines. Fascinating bit of machinery.