IGNORED

Atari 800xl picture problem

grant74

Hi there fellow Atari enthusiasts! I'm new on here - this is my first post. Hopefully one (or more!) of you guys can help me with a slight problem I have with my 800xl. I bought it of evilbay recently, and it has a strange picture problem. The computer didnt have a rf cable when I got it so I purchased a cheap standard rf cable off ebay too, I hasten to add not an original atari item with the little switch box inline. The problem is weird, the screen that you get when you first turn on (standard blue screen with "ready") is 100% fine, but when you play a game the screen is sometimes distorted when the screen flicks from one scene to another, sometimes it goes black and white too. Only when playing a game though - like I say - the normal blue screen is fine! Strange! So, what do you think guys? RF cable? RF modulator? power supply unit? Any suggestions would be gratefully received! many thanks!

Possibly power supply, and be very aware that when they go bad they can kill machines. A buzzing sound over audio, as if the TV is badly tuned can be a sign of that.

Or might be something simple like a dodgy RF female connector at the computer end. I've found practically all my old gear having some problem in that regard. Spraying some contact cleaner in there can help out a bit.

Hi Mate - yeah, I seen another topic on hear which sounded similar although he posted screenshots and it looked a lot worse! At the minute mine does it periodically whilst playing games - yet to look at the "ready" screen you'd think nothing was wrong with it! Strange! - So, I've bought another power supply from evilbay just to try it and if that dont work one of my friends is going to take a look. He used to repair arcade machines for a living so is well versed in this kind of work and hopefully can cure it - if my power supply aint already fried it!

Possibly power supply, and be very aware that when they go bad they can kill machines. A buzzing sound over audio, as if the TV is badly tuned can be a sign of that.

Or might be something simple like a dodgy RF female connector at the computer end. I've found practically all my old gear having some problem in that regard. Spraying some contact cleaner in there can help out a bit.

I also have heard that problem on my 800XL. I can hear noise as if the channel is not tuned but the picture is clear. Also you can hear the audio from the 800XL but the noise is also there in the background (like a bad 5th voice for noise).