IGNORED

arcade2atari8 [asteroids]

xxl

Nice stuff... it is also something that's been in the back of my mind for a while, although I was thinking VBXE hires mode.

So, I guess you'll be using that "technique" that you PM'd me about?

Do you plan on doing line-draw for everything - my thoughts are that it should be able to be optimised to a degree by only drawing the larger stuff and using traditional soft-sprite methods for the small objects.

Star Wars? :)

Star Wars uses two 6809s, a TMS5220, and a quad pokey. Ain't going to happen. But if xxl can make me eat my words on this, I'd be just as happy as you, Shawn, to see a decent version of Star Wars on the A8. The Parker Bros. version was pretty craptastic.

Edited by dwhyte

Nice. How optimised would you say your line-draw is right now?

Also, are you clearing screen, doing page-flip, or just performing erase step on the vector sets?

I reckon this should be a prime candidate for VBXE. Improved graphics aside, it'd have the massive advantage in that Antic DMA can be turned off completely, as well as the fact that line-draws can be done somewhat quicker in some modes (not to mention that blits could be employed for some objects).

do it on real ATARI hardware.. Anyone can do it on custom hardware..

I totally don't get the point of the VBXE.. My ATI Radeon totally smokes it.. VBXE would have been awesome back in the day when someone would have used it for some serious application.. Nowadayze... Either use an ATARI because it's an ATARI, or use a PC because it can do what the ATARI can't.. The VBXE is a nice novelty... But If you want to port something to the ATARI, port it to the REAL ATARI hardware...

• Like 6

http://atari.pl/asteroids3.zip

i use Eru line draw proc. so it is rather optimised, but erase not. maybe Konop's 'drawto' is faster... also avg emulator is not optimised, but it is uset only for debugging (game must operate properly) ;-) i will rewrite all oryginal video sys.procedures, NMI is also not optimised :/

> do it on real ATARI hardware

pure atari 65 xe with joystick ;). vbxe did not draw lines.

> How fast do you think you will be able to get this running?

hmm. i want 100% :D , but if reach 60% i will be happy also :P