IGNORED

Ultimate Planet

Vorticon

Any further thoughts on "Ultimate Planet" multiplayer sessions using PIO? :). That would rock so freaking hard.

Well, let me first finish the single player game then we'll see :) A 2 player game on 2 consoles connected via PIO should not be too hard to set up, but certainly not trivial. As for multiplayer games via PIO, after mulling over what Matthew and I had discussed a few months ago it will likely need more hardware support than just cables, plus it would be difficult to test on real hardware...

I was still hoping to have time to create a small demo program for 2 players via PIO for the Faire, but maybe if I keep my focus on Ultimate Planet and finish the single player version early then I might be able to have 2 player version available by Faire time.

I have nearly completed the player interface now and I'll post a test version within a week or two and ask for input before embarking on the AI development.

Great news!! I've been looking forward to this for a long time-- As far as I know, the TI is seriously lacking in RTS games. (As in next to zero? Is it zero??). As always, I eagerly await your updates as they become available and look forward to the test version!

Great news!! I've been looking forward to this for a long time-- As far as I know, the TI is seriously lacking in RTS games. (As in next to zero? Is it zero??). As always, I eagerly await your updates as they become available and look forward to the test version!

Earlier in this thread there was a comment along the lines that the TI99 did not have classic wargames for it. Can I ask if Avalon Hill ever release titles for the TI99?

Any further thoughts on "Ultimate Planet" multiplayer sessions using PIO? :). That would rock so freaking hard.

Well, let me first finish the single player game then we'll see :) A 2 player game on 2 consoles connected via PIO should not be too hard to set up, but certainly not trivial. As for multiplayer games via PIO, after mulling over what Matthew and I had discussed a few months ago it will likely need more hardware support than just cables, plus it would be difficult to test on real hardware...

I was still hoping to have time to create a small demo program for 2 players via PIO for the Faire, but maybe if I keep my focus on Ultimate Planet and finish the single player version early then I might be able to have 2 player version available by Faire time.

I have nearly completed the player interface now and I'll post a test version within a week or two and ask for input before embarking on the AI development.

and why not imagining through modem ? the first ( i think ) network TI99 game ! ;p

Earlier in this thread there was a comment along the lines that the TI99 did not have classic wargames for it. Can I ask if Avalon Hill ever release titles for the TI99?

Avalon Hill released quite a number of wargames in the early 80's for the TRS 80, Atari, Commodore and Apple computers, most of them on cassette and programmed in Basic. For the most part they were passable at best in quality, but had the interesting feature of including a playing board and counters in order to compensate for the lack of graphics. Unfortunately, the TI got completely bypassed, with only one exception: a galaxy trade and conquest game called Galaxy. A review of it can be found here http://www.orphantech.com/reviews/2009/12/8/galaxy-avalon-hill-1984.html

Not really a wargame though. The only wargame I have ever came across for the TI is Roman Wars programmed in XB and is posted on the TI Gameshelf. Not a bad game at all actually, and quite involved given the memory limitations of the XB environment.

and why not imagining through modem ? the first ( i think ) network TI99 game ! ;p

Sure, although a wargame tends to be a bit slow for modem, especially if you are connecting long distance! I don't have the necessary knowledge of modem communication, although I'm sure I can learn it if I had the time. How about save files instead that could be exchanged via email? Kind of like postal chess in a way. Each player will create a save file after their turn ,which would include the current state of the game, and send it to the other player who will then update the game then in turn make his/her move. So on and so forth... This should be fairly easy to implement I think.

Sure, although a wargame tends to be a bit slow for modem, especially if you are connecting long distance! I don't have the necessary knowledge of modem communication, although I'm sure I can learn it if I had the time. How about save files instead that could be exchanged via email? Kind of like postal chess in a way. Each player will create a save file after their turn ,which would include the current state of the game, and send it to the other player who will then update the game then in turn make his/her move. So on and so forth... This should be fairly easy to implement I think.

Now THAT..... is awesome

nope, it's quite easy to do... 9600 bauds modem will transmit 960 bytes per second... to send a move + some data, i supppose you won't use more than 30 bytes.

in basic, it's really easy to code, using OPEN / PRINT / INPUT (if i remember well) / CLOSE. Just need 2 or 3 line command to configure the modem ( speed, etc..), then 1 command to dial the number of your opponent. After, just need 1 print/input every move.

Long distance...bah, actually all long distance cal are free ( on fixed phone ), so it's not more a problem ;)

By email why not...just little bit more complicated ( save the files, transfert to pc, send by email, etc..)...

Now THAT..... is awesome

If you restrict play to Classic99 - perhaps you could share a directory and use a file as a flag as to who's turn it is and all the data...

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Here's the first official update to Ultimate Planet. This release only deals with the player's own units and basically demonstrates the player interface. There is no combat or AI at this time. I would appreciate it if a few here test it out and provide me with comments before I move on to the AI proper. I *think* I have worked out all the bugs, but one never knows. Unzip the files in DSK2 of Classic 99.

To run, use EA option 3 and enter at the Filename Prompt DSK2.PLANET.OBJ then press enter. You will be prompted for another filename, so just press enter again. Under Program Name, enter START and press enter. You will be presented with a splash screen: just hit any key to dismiss.

The gamefield consists of 4 bitmap screens organized in a large square. Your units occupy the left upper corner, and the enemy units the other 3 corners. You can scroll the field by 2 hexes using the CTRL + E,S,D,X keys, or jump to any of the 4 screens by using the FCTN + E,S,D,X keys. CTRL + H will take you to your home corner.

You control the blue units. To select a unit, position the hex marker using the W,E,R,Z,X,C keys over the desired unit and press enter. The marker will turn red and the unit parameters will be displayed.

UP1.GIF

If the unit is on top of terrain other than empty space, then the underlying terrain will be displayed next to the parameters for reference.

UP4.GIF

Once a unit is selected, move the marker to the new location and press enter, at which point the unit will be displayed at its new location and the marker will turn cyan again. Each hex movement has a cost in terms of movement potential depending on the terrain. In this demo, I have grossly increased the movement potentials in order to allow you to roam around. Note that units cannot be stacked and cannot move over another unit. If you try to move a unit over an enemy unit, you will be asked whether you want to attack it or not. If you do, then you will commit the unit to combat and it will not be able to move until the next turn.

UP3.GIF

While moving a unit, you can use the Fctn-9 key to go back to the previous hex and restore some of the movement potential. Cruisers can only move in empty space. Fighters can go through asteroid fields as well. Infantry can move in empty space or on the planetary surface. Armor can only move on planetary plains and production center (yellow markers on the planet).

Cruisers (you have 3 of them) each carry 2 infantry and 2 armored units. The number available for each is displayed at the right of the cruiser parameters. You can deploy the infantry units either in empty space or on a planetary plain. Armored units can only be deployed on planetary plains. To deploy a unit, select (and move if needed) a cruiser and press the J key (jettison). You can then select which unit you want to deploy by pressing I or A (or press enter to cancel), at which point the marker will turn green. Move the marker to any valid hex within ONE HEX of the cruiser and press enter to deploy that unit. You can keep doing this until you run out of units.

UP2.GIF

This should be pretty much it for now.

One more thing: For more TI like looks, you will need to disable filtering under Classic 99.

Please let me know what you think.

planet.zip

Edited by Vorticon

An incredibly AWESOME game, Vort. Please submit it for the RDGC! I could see myself playing this one for hours on a rainy day...

Adamantyr

Thanks :) I hope it lives up to its expectations. As for making it to the June deadline, that will likely be a stretch but one never knows :) BTW, where are you at with Realms of Antiquity?

An incredibly AWESOME game, Vort. Please submit it for the RDGC! I could see myself playing this one for hours on a rainy day...

Adamantyr

Thanks :) I hope it lives up to its expectations. As for making it to the June deadline, that will likely be a stretch but one never knows :) BTW, where are you at with Realms of Antiquity?

Special effects engine. Gotta create content for it (exact spell effects, graphics, sounds) and then write the engine, optimize it, and find out if I gotta start using the 8k RAM cartridge. :S

Adamantyr

Special effects engine. Gotta create content for it (exact spell effects, graphics, sounds) and then write the engine, optimize it, and find out if I gotta start using the 8k RAM cartridge. :S

Adamantyr

I really hope you can do without the 8K RAM, because otherwise it's going to limit its playability on real hardware given that many of us do not have that cart... Any chance of a release by Faire time this year?

Adamantyr

I really hope you can do without the 8K RAM, because otherwise it's going to limit its playability on real hardware given that many of us do not have that cart... Any chance of a release by Faire time this year?

Really hard to say. :) Core engine isn't done yet. If it was, then I'd just be doing pure content, which is a little more predictable.

Adamantyr

Is there a way to get this working using MESS?

I'll email you a DSK version for use with MESS. Otherwise, you can easily convert it to V9T9 format (which is similar to MESS) using Fred Kaal's TIDir utility program.

Edited by Vorticon

Is there a way to get this working using MESS?

I'll email you a DSK version for use with MESS. Otherwise, you can easily convert it to V9T9 format (which is similar to MESS) using Fred Kaal's TIDir utility program.

Be great if you could email or post a link to DSK version, Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update:

I have the AI broad lines on paper but have decided to delay implementation until the combat mechanics are finalized. I'm currently in the process of setting up the combat resolution tables, satellite and production centers attacks, and meteorites auto-motion. Completed the targeting implementation where now a unit can target an enemy unit at a distance depending on its firing range. Also, when you select a unit that has already been committed to combat, the target hex will be highlighted. This is very useful when you have a lot of attacking units and you forget what each is targeting.

I should (hopefully) have another updated download and pictures with all this stuff finalized within the next couple of weeks.

• 3 months later...

OK, I think I'm going to try and concentrate on finishing this game by Faire time. I have been (and continue to be) distracted by my ELF computer, but I really would like to have something to contribute to the Faire in November, not to mention that I hate having unfinished work hanging around especially after having put so many hours into it! I have however decided to move all development back to my enhanced TI (32K on 16bit bus and fast crystal) and break up the source code into modules as Willsy had suggested to speed up compilation time. With any luck, I should have something new to report back by next week.