IGNORED

$10,000 for "bulk of video games"?

Atarius Maximus

I routinely bid on auctions that have:

Seller with (0) feedback

Seller with shades mask.gif

Vague Titles

Even more vague description (Bulk of Video Games)

No pictures

No shipping terms listed

and

$10,000 opening bid.

This seller has obviously done his research very well, and has really thought this through. He should be commended on a job well done. :dunce:

What's really funny is that the "BULK" or "HUGE LOT" usually ends up being less then 10 carts. Half of these result in multiple copies of Combat, Pacman, Asteroids and Video Pinball. :D

To me, HUGE means way more then 100 possibly close to 200 or more. And BULK could mean anything, but generally to me it indicates there are quite a few, but that there are also few distinct titles.

Cap

The seller probably just finished watching Antiques Roadshow and thinks he is sitting on $1,000,000 worth of Combats and ET's!!!

I've never actually seen Antiques Roadshow before. Was there a show featuring an Atari 2600 that was appraised at $1000 or something? Someone please fill me in.

AM

It was a small piece, and the host of the show was playing Pac-Man of all things, and they had a few commons and a quadrun on the show... I don't remember what they said they were going for, but it has had a detrimental effect on classic gaming.

What's really funny is that the "BULK" or "HUGE LOT" usually ends up being less then 10 carts. Half of these result in multiple copies of Combat, Pacman, Asteroids and Video Pinball. :D

To me, HUGE means way more then 100 possibly close to 200 or more. And BULK could mean anything, but generally to me it indicates there are quite a few, but that there are also few distinct titles.

Cap

Yes, Cap, you have to adjust. So here's the eBay equivalents

"Stack" => 2-4 carts

"Huge Lot" => about 3 Stacks (12 carts max)

"A Ton" => 2 Huge Lots (probably 15 to 20)

"One Heap" => A Ton and half ( 20 something carts)

"A hunk" => no carts, just a hunk,hunka of burning love :)

"bushel" => two Heaps

"one bulk" => four Bushels

"mountain" => 50 Bulks

"an ocean" => 100 Mountains --- applies only to O'Sheas

Yes' date=' Cap, you have to adjust. So here's the eBay equivalents

[list']

"Stack" => 2-4 carts

"Huge Lot" => about 3 Stacks (12 carts max)

"A Ton" => 2 Huge Lots (probably 15 to 20)

"One Heap" => A Ton and half ( 20 something carts)

"A hunk" => no carts, just a hunk,hunka of burning love :)

"bushel" => two Heaps

"one bulk" => four Bushels

"mountain" => 50 Bulks

"an ocean" => 100 Mountains --- applies only to O'Sheas

This is priceless! The official conversion chart!

Are you implying eBay is medieval? You'll get no arguement from me :) Oh, I forgot to include the term "Mother Lode"! Its a very common eBay "unit".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&item=801310537

Except that he spelled it Mother Load. That at least is a pretty cool auction of Atari 8-bit hardware and software. The auction at the top of this thread would have made me spit my milk out, had I been drinking any at the time. :)

..Al

Are you implying eBay is medieval? You'll get no arguement from me :) Oh, I forgot to include the term "Mother Lode"! Its a very common eBay "unit".

Now where can I work it in :?: Hmm more than "Huge Lot" and less than a "Bulk"?  :ponder:

Measurements during the Middle Ages were spelled out in ways similar to the list you created. I think your list would have done a lot better than Medeival systems of weights and measures :D

Except that he spelled it Mother Load. That at least is a pretty cool auction of Atari 8-bit hardware and software.

..Al

A lot of stuff, but nothing really rare. Worth $500, though. Heh, yeah, I now auto-translate eBay misspellings, You know -> lable means label. Arari , Cartrage etc. Don't even notice them anymore ;)

Weirdness -- If you multiply the numbers in my units list, you get 4*3*2*1.5*2*4*50*100 or 1,440,000 carts/ocean . Pretty close to the remaining O'Sheas stock! Eerie, huh?

It was a small piece, and the host of the show was playing Pac-Man of all things, and they had a few commons and a quadrun on the show...  I don't remember what they said they were going for, but it has had a detrimental effect on classic gaming.

I think there's a few silver linings to it, no matter how grossly inaccurate the pricing for common games was in that episodes:

1. People will think twice about throwing away old Atari stuff (possibly saving some genuine rarities in the process).

2. People will spend more time looking for old Atari stuff (possibly discovering some genuine rarities in the process).

3. People will be dissapointed by not getting high amounts of money, and the market will be flooded by lots of cheap Atari games at some point.

All in all, not a bad thing. BTW the new av rocks. :D