IGNORED

SS + IOBoard wiring question

Stephen

I need to get back to installing the Simple Stereo & IO Board in my PAL 130XE. I have a few questions before I can proceed.

The simple stereo board has pin 8 of J1 going to pin 9 of J4 on the IO Board. Pin 9 of J4 on the IO board goes to mobo +5V. I assume that this means the simple stereo also gets +5V. Second question, is about the capacitor that you sent me. It is a radial 16V 1000uF. Simon told me he thinks the cap is supposed to go between mobo +5V and power in for the IO board. I currently have the IO Board powered directly off of the SIO port. Please advise.

io-board gets 5V from motherboard, but simplestereo gets its power directly from pokey chip, so no interconnection for 5V line is required in that case

it was provided on keyboard header just for easy of use if not used together with io-board

OK - so this just leaves the cap. Again, sorry for such a basic question, but it's been years since I have done any of this stuff. I assume for the cap, I take 5V from the mobo, go into the + lead on the cap, and take the other lead of the cap to the 5V input of the IO board.

I am also not sure where pins 12, 13, 17 of J3 on the simple stereo should go. I will be installing the VBXE2 board but I wanted to test the IOBoard & simple stereo before, in case I broke anything.

Thanks for all of your help. I will continue to take pictures & update my blog during the install. You are welcome to use both as an install guide (or I can write one up using these for you). It seems you will be making another run, and I know there will be some 130XE users out there that want documentation.

Stephen Anderson

OK - so this just leaves the cap. Again, sorry for such a basic question, but it's been years since I have done any of this stuff. I assume for the cap, I take 5V from the mobo, go into the + lead on the cap, and take the other lead of the cap to the 5V input of the IO board.

No, you should connect the cap on between the +5V and gnd on the IO board (the connector on the top left of the board (power in)). I placed it on the back of the board. It is needed to reduce noise in the audio output.

Read post 14 & 15 of this topic.

I am also not sure where pins 12, 13, 17 of J3 on the simple stereo should go. I will be installing the VBXE2 board but I wanted to test the IOBoard & simple stereo before, in case I broke anything.

J3-12 is A7 and J3-13 is A4 and can be connected at different places on the motherboard. I connected those near the rom chip at the bottom of the 130XE board (the solder pads but I don't remember from my head which).

J3-17 is only needed if you want to map the convox at D6xx. In that case you need to connect J3-14 too (hardwired to ground or via a switch). D6xx signal is on pin 9 of the 74LS138 above the Pokey chip.

I hope to post a few pictures of my installation soon.

Robert

Edited by rdemming

i know that if i don't do documentation for this it will hount me till i die ;)

so ita a promise - i'll make one - soon

Candle, if I can find the time to finish my install, I will gladly give you all of my pictures and do a write up for 130XE machines. I know you're insanely busy.

I am down to the last wire! I do not know where to pick up the GTIA key-click, and the signals listed on the GTIA pinout are not helping me.

One more question, I got some notes from Simon, as well as a photo from candle. It shows the connection from J3 of simple stereo to J22 of the IO board. The picture does not match the schematic of the IO board that candle has on his website. The schematic has J3 pin 8 getting 12V, pin 10 going to A7 on the motherboard (I hooked to pin 15 of Freddie). Simon's notes have J3 pin 8 going to IO board's J22 pin 1 (towards bottom of PCB), J3 pin 10 going to J22 pin 2, and J3 pin 12 going to motherboard A7.

Also on that photo, IO Board's J7 is populated. Is this for VBXE? I don't have anything going to J7 on mine (currently just installing SS and IO). I have 13 wires going to the IO board using J2, J3, J4, J22. I will post some pictures soon. This PC seems to have a clicking (dying HD). Gotta power down.

*** EDIT ***

post-650-127273860049_thumb.jpg

I don't want to power this up until I get these worked out.

Thanks for everybody's help on this! The machine booted up and no smoke was let out :) Stereo PoKey sounds awesome! I have not tried the PS2 keyboard interface yet.

There does seem to be a lot of background noise (hiss). I used NeoTracker 1.8 with Covox set to $D280. The sound quality is not very good. When only playing samples in the right channel, there is static in the left, and vice-versa. The static is not present (or much harder to detect) when both channels are playing. But the sound quality is still not great when both channels are playing.

I do have the capacitor hooked up to the underside of the IO board. I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when I have the machined hooked to my monitor directly through the Y/C input, the bottom half of the screen has noise in it. Dark single scanline bars that run the entire width of the screen but jiggle up and down by a few scanlines. I am not sure if this is the same noise that is coming through the audio. The same noise is present on the stock audio out (DIN5 jack) now, not just from the IO board's stereo jack.

I have not checked the audio out on a scope. Any ideas where I should look? My first guess would be the motherboard audio & GTIA keyclick inputs to the SS board. I used a 40-pin IDE cable for all wiring, but they are all straight runs (none of the wires are twist braided). Would this help?

there were some changes in io-board to help to fight this - mostly related with harmonics frequencies that may appear on audio signal

basically latter devices were build with C21 replaced with 220pF cap (original 680pF), those boards have 1M resistors on sound output replaced by 33k ones (it seems that sound level from jack connector was too low for most equipment but my 20 years old amplifier ;) )

most of the digital noise is introduced by poor routing of GTIA click - amplification is quite high, and wire that goes to that input should be shielded

J7 is for SIO2PC

everything (assuming the far ends of those wires i see on the picture are in right places) is okay

SIO2PC? Is that to make the USB port work on the device? I thought that got its signals from J4 - I have it connected to the data in, data out, 5V, and clock of the SIO port.

er ;)

i've ment traces from J7

I looked on the bottom of my board. The only thing next to the pins by J7 is your website address.

J4, J5, J6 and J7 are all wired the same. That means you can connect the SIO signals to either of them.

I suppose future use is to connect other SIO devices to the remaining 3 connectors like an internal SIO2SD or SDRIVE.

@Candle, if you look at the bottom of the PCB, I believe you only see that +5V and GND of those connectors are connected to each other. The other pins are connected at the top side and are hidden by the headers. So you can't make any conclusions by just looking at the bottom.

Robert

Edited by rdemming

er ;)

i've ment traces from J7

I looked on the bottom of my board. The only thing next to the pins by J7 is your website address.

J4, J5, J6 and J7 are all wired the same. That means you can connect the SIO signals to either of them.

I suppose future use is to connect other SIO devices to the remaining 3 connectors like an internal SIO2SD or SDRIVE.

@Candle, if you look at the bottom of the PCB, I believe you only see that +5V and GND of those connectors are connected to each other. The other pins are connected at the top side and are hidden by the headers. So you can't make any conclusions by just looking at the bottom.

Robert

Exactly - I saw that no pins were connected, but also know that this is a double sided (or maybe even multi-layer) PCB.

Anyhow, it's all working, so I will start writing up my pin to pin install guide. Hopefully it can be of use to someone.

Sorry for this Stephen, its been a while when i looked on real PCB, I usually see them in CAD and then memory may do all kinds of tricks on what one remember ;)

IO-Board schematics

Sebastian

ps. its for v3, but it should be good enough

No prob - thanks! I'm sure that memory would be an issue for me if I had as many projects going on at once like you do.

Spotted one major issue - I do not have power going into J21 of the IO board! I have +5 and ground going into J4 (pins 8&9). I have the capacitor across these two pins. I assume it is correct to have the +5V going into both J4 and J21. Does it matter whether or not the cap you provided goes across J21 or J4?

then why You have placed that cap that was provided with the board?

it was suppose to be place as close to the place from where you "steal" 5V supply for J21 as possible

now You don't have any power supply on amplifier, and DAC for covox

then why You have placed that cap that was provided with the board?

it was suppose to be place as close to the place from where you "steal" 5V supply for J21 as possible

now You don't have any power supply on amplifier, and DAC for covox

Big mistake on my part. I was going off a wiring diagram I got from Simon. The only connection to the IO board was the +5 and Gnd coming from SIO. I assumed that powered the board since I did not have any other reference. I put the cap across that 5V and Gnd point. I will make the change.

Well, I hooked up power & ground to J21. Also put the cap there. I am still having the same issue - poor quality sound through the Covox. I will try to record it and post an example.

*** EDIT - Link to Blog below ***

Updated blog post is here

Stephen, You did what Simon did - put verry long wire for J21 - i know this is partially my fault, since i wrote somewhere to do so, but as i wrote in this thread that cap i've provided and that two wires leading to +5V on motherboard should be as close as possible to J21

and in Your case its something like 12" - not exacly as close as possible

unless blog pictures are out of data that is