IGNORED

Is there anyway I can play Nintendo DS games on the TV?

You know how Nintendo has made a Super Game Boy and later Game Boy Player for playing Game Boy (Color/Advance) games on the TV? Well, I'd be very pleased as punch if there was a way to play Nintendo DS games on the TV. How would that be possible you might ask? Very simple:

1. You can switch the display to show on the TV either top screen only, top/bottom screens vertically (default option of course), or top/bottom screens horizontally side be side.

2. A standard SNES style controller (with same button layout as DS; very important) with microphone built into the controller, and a mouse which would be used as the stylus.

Not only would it be fantastic to be able to view the action on the big screen (well, if you consider 32" "big screen"...) but you wouldn't have to worry about having the touch screen all scratched/fingerprinted up.

Or we can simply fall back on using a regular DS wirelessly connected to the Wii.

So, are there any third party devices that can play the Nintendo DS on the TV and does a good job doing so?

PS: Yes, I know all about that stupid YouTube video of the guy putting the DS on top of a TV; that's not what I mean. :P

Edited by Dittohead Servbot #24

you wouldn't have to worry about having the touch screen all scratched/fingerprinted up.

Unless you have a touch screen TV, which I highly doubt, as well as some secret controller to control gameplay, you're still going to have to play using the actual DS. =P

Anyways, no 3rd party products I know of do this. Most of the draw to the DS is the portability thing. TVs aren't exactly portable, not to mention that given most DS games feature highly pixelated textures, it wouldn't look too good on a big screen.

If you want to see what a DS would look like on the big screen, just buy the Wii version of FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, and it'll show you just fine. :P

No no no, with my idea you don't use a touch screen. You use a mouse. That is, there's a cursor on the bottom screen and you click (and hold to draw if necessary) to use it like you would use the stylus on a regular DS. I'm guessing that's how Nintendo DS emulators on a computer work.

Most of the draw to the DS is the portability thing. TVs aren't exactly portable, not to mention that given most DS games feature highly pixelated textures, it wouldn't look too good on a big screen.

That's the excuse Nintendo tried at first before releasing the Game Boy Player.

Edited by Dittohead Servbot #24

No no no, with my idea you don't use a touch screen. You use a mouse. That is, there's a cursor on the bottom screen and you click (and hold to draw if necessary) to use it like you would use the stylus on a regular DS. I'm guessing that's how Nintendo DS emulators on a computer work.

*facepalm*

How do you intend to hook a mouse up to either the DS or the TV? Better yet, how do you intend to display two screens of DS action on one screen of TV? You do realize that both screens are independent, right? You also do realize that the only real mods to show the DS on a TV have included taking apart the DS and using 2 separate TVs, right?

IMHO, even back in the days of Pokemon Stadium, Gameboy Color games looked horrible on a TV.

I assume he means to use a mouse that controls a onscreen stylus (Much like what you're doing as you use your computer).

I don't see it working very well for touch screen games like the two Zelda titles. Would be nice for things like NSMB, Mario Kart, and Super Mario 64.

But I don't see it happening when it would only really be ideal for a portion of the library (The games that basically don't use the touch screen functionality.

Edited by Atariboy

Well, there IS DS emulation. That's a start. I think it would at least be nice if you could, say, interface your DS through your Wii to your TV, or have an A/V mod like there was on the GBA. Many games primarily use the top screen for action, which could theoretically be displayed on the television. The rest could be done in the palm of your hands. Just one of the many ways this could be done.

The big problem is, the DS has two screens. I've tried shooting video for youtube, and it's a pain. With touch screen becoming more and more common, and screen resolutions high enough, the DS could easily be put onto a screen via emulation if nothing else (like on a touch smart PC)

IMO, there is plenty of games that don't require the touch screen, or minimal use of it, that a device could be made to hook to the TV that either doesn't have touch screen interface, or is basically the bottom half of the DS with a wire to the TV to show the upper screen (or lower screen as an option) The vast majority of games I've played, the second screen is really a waist anyways, and you only need the one.

I for a while did use an old PSP to TV device. This was for the 1k, you can probably still find one on Ebay, but it pissed me off more than anything, as it was made to hook to the PSP, and it didn't fit to good even with modification on the DS....but then, any half way decent clipon webcam with a macro mode should be able to work too :P

Yeah, and Nintendo saw the error of their ways when the GBATV (and a few other devices) beat them to market, sold, and worked just fine. I think I got my GBATV about a year before the GB Player came out. :P

Edited by Video