IGNORED

Action 52 - Angry Video Game Nerd

at least Nintendo insisted that it WAS possible to finish any game that got the seal.

I hadn't heard that, got a link or scan?

I don't have a link or scan right now, but I recall hearing the same thing. During the late 80' to mid 90's, before Nintendo relaxed their strict censorship policies, they controled the games being released to a large ammount. A company could only release 5 games a year, had the manafacture of the games controled by Nintendo, and had to have all games aproved by them. It was during that aproval process that people at Nintendo played the game from start to finish to see what needed to be edited and if the game could be finished. Then they would allow the game to be released, with the Nintendo Seal of Quality. Of course, that didn't mean the game was any GOOD, just that Nintendo had OK'd it.

Today, the policy is much more relaxed and I believe the ESRB does all the playtesting for the games now.

I had to skip through the middle of that video. No matter what my threshold is on watching AVGN, there's no way I'm sadistic enough to hear him go through all 52 games. It's like listening to someone review all 112 variations of Space Invaders.

Trus but at least Space Invaders is a good game cart unlike the garbage that is Action 52 I do not care how rare or valuable is I would not buy it at any price

Yeah, I love Space Invaders on the 2600 but I still wouldn't want to hear a point-by-point for each of the 112 variations. I think the AVGN video would have been better if he just played about four games and summed it up. That seems to be the extent of the Action 52 cart: many variations of the same 4 or so games. That's a good way to test the devotional fortitude of your fans, though: see who can stick it out and listen to the whole deal. It's kind of moot for me, though. I would much rather watch his reviews of games that aren't so far down (or should that be 'up'?) on the suck-scale. They're non-debatable and therefore kind of boring.

I had to skip through the middle of that video. No matter what my threshold is on watching AVGN, there's no way I'm sadistic enough to hear him go through all 52 games. It's like listening to someone review all 112 variations of Space Invaders.

Trus but at least Space Invaders is a good game cart unlike the garbage that is Action 52 I do not care how rare or valuable is I would not buy it at any price

Action 52 might be garbage, but it is interesting garbage filled with glitchy weirdness where you often wonder what the programmer was smoking. I'd much rather watch a review of Action 52 than of Space Invaders.

at least Nintendo insisted that it WAS possible to finish any game that got the seal.

I don't have a link or scan right now, but I recall hearing the same thing. During the late 80' to mid 90's, before Nintendo relaxed their strict censorship policies, they controled the games being released to a large ammount. A company could only release 5 games a year, had the manafacture of the games controled by Nintendo, and had to have all games aproved by them. It was during that aproval process that people at Nintendo played the game from start to finish to see what needed to be edited and if the game could be finished. Then they would allow the game to be released, with the Nintendo Seal of Quality. Of course, that didn't mean the game was any GOOD, just that Nintendo had OK'd it.

Today, the policy is much more relaxed and I believe the ESRB does all the playtesting for the games now.

Oh, I know all about their monopoly with their tight control over the American market, and their so-called "official seal of quality", but I never heard about any claim that any game with the seal could be finished. Why would they say that, since it's not true? Many games with the seal did not have endings.

Oh, I know all about their monopoly with their tight control over the American market, and their so-called "official seal of quality", but I never heard about any claim that any game with the seal could be finished. Why would they say that, since it's not true? Many games with the seal did not have endings.

Maybe he meant that Nintendo required that all games that you are supposed to be able to finish are (at least in principle) winnable. Ie. in order to get the seal of quality there can't be a glitch preventing someone from beating your game. Of course this doesn't apply to games that are supposed to continue forever.

Yep, there's more thought put into the game variations on the 2600 SI cart than each individual game in this Action 52 mess.

I've heard so much about this game and finally get to see it in action (no pun intended).

From the looks of it, truly awful. Wonder how much he paid for it?

Don't know about this particular title but I think I heard once that a lot of his collection is "gifted" by "fans" but I could be wrong.

I've heard so much about this game and finally get to see it in action (no pun intended).

From the looks of it, truly awful. Wonder how much he paid for it?

Don't know about this particular title but I think I heard once that a lot of his collection is "gifted" by "fans" but I could be wrong.

You're right, he gets a lot of donations. Action 52 fetches quite a bit, apparently. I'd hate to buy it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the magic of savestates I was able to gradually claw my way through the first level, which ends with a POP-style door. On to Level 2. This one's even worse, and requires glitchy blind jumps that can't be pulled off with any consistency. Still, I eventually reached the bizarro final screen, got through the door...

...and was promptly dumped straight into Level 3 of Cheetahmen?! What the hell?

Which level 3 did it drop you into. Apparently Cheetahmen had 2 of them. :lol: