IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 9: Montezuma's Revenge

Must I explain everything? ;)

There is only one type of torch. The other "pole thing" is not a torch. It just temporarily prevents enemies from killing you. (I always think of it as a snake charmer.) Take a look at the bug-fixed picture I posted. The torch is at the far left. The other two things are the "snake charmers". (...they have a name, but I just can't think of it at the moment) Believe me, you really need both of those things for that room - especially in later levels when "chain things" are added.

Once you've got the torch (real torch, I mean), you can't get rid of it until you end the level.

Page 6 AMULETS is wot they iz :D

After my (failed) efforts to describe how to play Zone Ranger using snacks and popular breakfast cereals I thought I'd see how you got on ;)

Amulets... pfft! Those don't look like amulets to me. Amulets are things that go on necklaces - jewels, and crap like that. I utterly refuse to call them "amulets". I will continue to call them "snake charmers". (...even though they also "charm" spiders and skulls... but I couldn't very well call them "skull charmers", now could I? Of course not. That would sound silly.)

Here are some pictures for "show & tell":

1. The beginning of level 9 (actually level 10 - level 9 just repeats) - notice how it starts dark

2. Psyche! No torches! I found out the hard way that all torches disappear on level 9. Soon after that, I died 11 times in a row in a place I usually easily pass... when I can see! Luckily I had something like 21 lives.

3. After my fifth time on level 9 (that's level 13 to you mathematicians out there), I started to get tired of wandering in the dark and I started making silly mistakes. I ended up in the flames. Still... 710400 isn't bad. ;)

1. The beginning of level 9 (actually level 10 - level 9 just repeats) - notice how it starts dark

2. Psyche! No torches! I found out the hard way that all torches disappear on level 9. Soon after that, I died 11 times in a row in a place I usually easily pass... when I can see! Luckily I had something like 21 lives.

3. After my fifth time on level 9 (that's level 13 to you mathematicians out there), I started to get tired of wandering in the dark and I started making silly mistakes. I ended up in the flames. Still... 710400 isn't bad. ;)

WOW! You're really good at this game. :) :thumbsup:

Does the score roll at 999,990 points?

Don't tell me you're so bad at this game that you died on the first screen.

Don't tell me you're so bad at this game that you died on the first screen.

Ok, i don't get it. I got to the 3rd level. Surely you can't be serious. lol :) 8)

Here's a map of level 1 for those who might need it. :)

Ahhh! Those are C64 screenshots! My eyes bleed with rage. (sort of like this guy here: :lust: ... no, that's not the guy! Where's that smiley with the red, angry eyes?? What kind of forum doesn't have a smiley with eyes boodshot with rage?)

my eyes do :roll: :o ;)

I think Mr.A. should play through the Utopia version or play this one with an actual blindfold and see how far he can get... release the bats :skull:

Nooooo! Not the Utopia version! That's like my Kryptonite. "...losing strength...can't... continue... playing..." (until Miss Teschmacher removes the cartridge from around my neck and forces me to save her mother in Hackensack NJ... long story)

The score loops after 999,999 by the way - not 999,990 (...see, after 0 comes 1 and...:D). I looped the score once, but I was playing on an Atari emulator on the Amiga... and I don't count scores done on emulators. ;)

Edit: No, I'm wrong... the score loops after 999,950. The lowest score increment is 50 points.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

80,600 Level 1 ended sooner than I expected, then I was struggling to find the torch on level 2 but I did locate it... then had too many keys to pick it up and then flambéed myself trying to get back to the doors that I didn't open because I thought these darn keys would come in useful :x

post-19705-127297254709_thumb.jpg

I found my map for the Utopia version, not much use really! Has the P.Bros version not got the screen with the giant stomping (Montezuma?) thingy as it was too much RAM? Would be nice if someone fixed the Utopia version too ;)

This is a really good game, nice slick movement makes all the difference. Definitely need a joystick with an accurate fire button... I'm on my third one....

trbb, the link for the map you posted, What level is that for? It looks a little different than the maps i have.

post-22103-127302009886_thumb.png

I just compared it to my map and it is the Utopia version, checkout the screen near the bottom left! Even though this version is "unwinnable" It's still a great game. I suppose it could be played through for high score and then get back to the top and count that as beating it...

Can't believe you think Mr.A has this one in the bag already ;)

Here's a first go. This game is amazing. I think it would take me a summer month, or two, or three . . . to get anywhere in the realm of hundred thousands like Mr. Amiga. :)

That's strange... I don't remember a room with a ladder that says "Mute" on it. ;)

Don't make me loop the counter, because I will if I have to. On top of that, I'll complete a level carrying all four torches... just to teach you a lesson... some kind of lesson... OK, not really a lesson... but it'll be something.

Has anybody ever gone to the next level without sliding down those sliders? I did it a few times - on both sides - landing on the platform and conveyor belt without touching anything else. (I was hoping to miss the platform and die, but I just wasn't lucky enough)

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

trbb, the link for the map you posted, What level is that for? It looks a little different than the maps i have.

post-22103-127302009886_thumb.png

I just compared it to my map and it is the Utopia version, checkout the screen near the bottom left! Even though this version is "unwinnable" It's still a great game. I suppose it could be played through for high score and then get back to the top and count that as beating it...

I'll have to try that version out. :)

Here's a first go. This game is amazing. I think it would take me a summer month, or two, or three . . . to get anywhere in the realm of hundred thousands like Mr. Amiga. :)

That's strange... I don't remember a room with a ladder that says "Mute" on it. ;)

Don't make me loop the counter, because I will if I have to. On top of that, I'll complete a level carrying all four torches... just to teach you a lesson... some kind of lesson... OK, not really a lesson... but it'll be something.

Has anybody ever gone to the next level without sliding down those sliders? I did it a few times - on both sides - landing on the platform and conveyor belt without touching anything else. (I was hoping to miss the platform and die, but I just wasn't lucky enough)

That's what I was about to ask-- how do you finish the level? Do you have to get everything that's obtainable first or is there some minimum set of things you need and which screen do you go to to finish the level?

91K The fightback is on, erm well the fight for 2nd anyway... after not opening too many doors on the level 2 door frenzy I decided to open lots and get the points but I then seemed to not have a blue key DOH! Had aonther go and got well into level 3 but then kept running into things, chains holes, you know how it is when you enter a new room... cunningly designed to flash on exactly as you realise you should have waited a second ;)

152,850 :)

post-19705-127308944879_thumb.jpg

That's what I was about to ask-- how do you finish the level? Do you have to get everything that's obtainable first or is there some minimum set of things you need and which screen do you go to to finish the level?

Just get the yellow door open and make a leap of faith onto as many jewels as you can when the time runs out the jewels disappear and you have to drop down a few screens and are taken to the top of the next level! Collect as much as you want but best to stack up the points on the easier levels I guess :)

monty table

1st Mr.Amiga500 710,400 (13) 12pts

2nd therealbountybob 152,850 (3) 11pts

3rd deteacher 116,850 (2) 10pts

4th roadrunner 105,400 9pts

5th littleman jack 77,090 8pts

6th therealbountybob 67,330 7pts ;)

6th Divya16 29,350 7pts

7th 4Ks 28,300 6pts

8th littleman jack 21,200 5pts

8th Cebus Capucinis & atariksi lost in the pyramid?!

:)

monty table

1st Mr.Amiga500 710,400 (13) 12pts

2nd therealbountybob 152,850 (3) 11pts

3rd deteacher 116,850 (2) 10pts

4th roadrunner 105,400 9pts

5th littleman jack 77,090 8pts

6th therealbountybob 67,330 7pts

7th Divya16 29,350 6pts

8th 4Ks 28,300 5pts

9th littleman jack 21,200 4pts

10th Cebus Capucinis & atariksi lost in the pyramid?!

:)

Hey! You got second and sixth?? That's just not fair.