IGNORED

Tecmo Bowl -- XBox Live Arcade

SoulBlazer

Has anyone else checked out the new Tecmo Bowl game on XBox Arcade?

It's a fun remake of the classic Super Tecmo Bowl game for the NES, with a few new features.

One is that you can choose to play either in 2D or 3D mode. 2D mode makes it look, sound, and feel like a classic 8 bit game. 3D mode gives the whole game a nice modern facelift. Gameplay is the same in both modes.

You can also play online aganist other people and customize your team.

The recent DS port of Tecmo Bowl was quite fun, but I'd say this one is even better.

I'm not going to buy it just yet cause it's 800 points, but as soon as there's a price drop I'm grabbing it.

It would be worth 800 points if it was an actual NFL/NFLPA licensed product. Since it's not I don't think it's worth more than 400 points.

What difference does that make *really* if the gameplay is the same?

The gameplay is very close but still a bit off in my opinion. I'm just thinking of how EA had an NHL license for 3 on 3 NHL Arcade and it was 800 points. Plus they screwed up the season stats. There aren't nearly as many stats available in this game as were available in real Tecmo Bowl. Real Tecmo Bowl actually had passer rating and several other stats for QBs. This one just has a few stats. I didn't even bother looking past that to stats for other positions.

Edited by HammR25

Yeah, and good luck playing online.

The retro style graphics version in the online multiplayer has some annoying lag. The updated graphics version seems fine.

There is also a lot of quitting. It seems that there is no online record keeping of any kind. So, no penalty for dropping out of a game.

I love Tecmo Bowl, but I kind of wish I had passed on this. Impulse shopping gets me again!

Downloaded it, played it. Honestly I'd rather just play the original games. Not worth 800 points. Maybe not even worth 400....its just that its almost exactly like the original games there really is no point to getting it.

That's exactly how I felt about the DS version.

Chris

It would be worth 800 points if it was an actual NFL/NFLPA licensed product. Since it's not I don't think it's worth more than 400 points.

What difference does that make *really* if the gameplay is the same?

Being able to use "real" players does add to the fun quite a bit (at least, if you're really into football and stats), especially when you can do things with players that never in a hundred years would have happened in real life. Such as 150+ sack seasons with Bob Nelson*, 4000 rushing yard seasons with Thurman Thomas**, 40+ TD seasons with Timm Rosenbach***, kicking 70-net-yard punts (with anybody), or winning a Super Bowl using Anthony Dilweg****. In Tecmo, anybody can be a hero (except maybe offensive linemen, which can't be controlled)...even the nobodies!

* In his entire NFL career, he had maybe three.

** He was good, but not THAT good.

*** Mmmmm no.

**** Not likely; of the 7 games he started in the NFL, 2 were victories. Bonus if your star receiver is Michael Haddix.

So no, the NFL license isn't essential...but it is a lot of fun.