IGNORED

The XBox 1 Thread

Despite its problems, I kind of like the original XBox.

When it came out, it had the most powerful architecture of the bunch. You had a hard drive to store your save games, and a few other nice-to-haves.

However, it really is just a closed system PC. I typically did favor buying multiplatform games for this machine over the PS2 or GameCube. Too bad there was nothing spectacular in terms of RPGs. Metal Dungeon is pretty bad, and I haven't tried Blackstone yet. (Which I suspect is also pretty bad.) Driving, action, fighters, 3D platformers, and of course sports are reasonably plentiful though.

So the plan is simple. Just like in the PS2 thread, post either in this thread or in the gallery your XBox 1 photos. I'm kinda archiving photos of my stuff in the gallery here.

For the record, I just finished Stubbs the Zombie and Red Faction 2 over the past two weeks. Both were decent for what they are. You just have to remember that this isn't the "current gen" in terms of visuals and enjoy the ride for what it is.

Hex.

[ Hasn't decided what to start playing next. Eternal Sonata has been rotating in and out of my queue lately though... ]

I transferred my brothers "new" Xbox, which I purchased and modded for him for Christmas, into a new case a few months ago: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024748&id=1426037258&l=5634f30263

I have a few Xbox's but they are in stock cases. It is what is inside of them and the software that is running on them that makes them worth looking at.

As an Odamex developer I am currently working on the Xbox port.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OCyy_SGx1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhThAQ7Ms6k

• Like 1

I love my Xbox, but now the disc drive is dying,and I don't have the stuff (or knowhow for that matter) to get it moded to put a new drive in it. I'm currently looking for a new system, but apparently, their still pretty hot items and the pawns and used game stores around here never have any.

It's a great beast, just to bad Microsoft never got the emulator working on the 360 (yeah, I know some of it works, but only about 90% of the games I like don't work so...yeah)

I still have that old beast hooked up to the TV, but untill I can get the tools and softmod it, I'm kinda scared to use it, as I'd loose all my saved stuff if the drive craps out altogether before I can copy it.

You don't have to mod the machine to put in a replacement DVD drive. Only the 360 requires firmware modification to replace the drive. You can use any DVD drive from any version of Xbox to replace your dying drive. You can get them for $20 - $30 on ebay. Both of the Samsung drives are considered the best ones and of those the Rev. B is generally considered the better of the two. If you can't find a Samsung drive the Phillips is a good drive but do not buy a Tompson for any price.

That would be cool, but I can't do ebay anymore, on account of it being Paypall only.....that and there is/was so much confusion on what actually would/wouldn't work, and most of the hits when searching look like they came up with parts for a drive, not the drive itself (though honestly, if I had the technical knowhow, repairing rather than replacing the drive would be the way to go, it just needs a new track, maybe a new laser)

Anyhow, after my brain exploded a couple of years back when I was trying to find out how to fix it, I just dropped it. Looked for emulation, but it's surprising how half assed it is, considering the Xbox was just a computer, and an old one at that (yeah, I know all consoles are, but most have at least some custom stuff)

Maybe I'll get it fixed eventually, but not if I have to go the ebay rout.

Edited by Video

The Xbox had some things that made it very different from a computer. The components were largely common to PC's but they were custom and had design quirks particular to the Xbox, the memory interface was different, the full role of the bios was different, and it runs on a custom OS. Emulating is not as simple as presenting a picture of the Xbox hardware to the games and then passing through API. A lot of the regular complexities involved in emulating other consoles are present in emulating the Xbox.

The XBOX was a great system, for sure.. Personally, it was the last system that really struck me with awe on launch day. Maybe not as much as the Dreamcast or the Nintendo 64, but the constant smooth frame rate, the vastly-improved polygon counts, the bump mapping, the seemingly infinite draw distance and the massive scenery changes without load times (DOA3 as an example) were all very major improvements from what came before. The added features like the hard drive and the custom soundtracks added completely new capabilities and uses for a console system out-of-the box and were welcome additions that I also personally used frequently.

Many of the exclusive games on it led to the feeling that it was, for me anyway, the "hardcore gamer" system of that era, kind of like the Dreamcast was, just before it.. That may have been due to the abundance of exclusive Sega titles, but I digress.. Long live the original XBOX! :)

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

The PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and Dreamcast are discussed in this forum section pretty much every day. It hasn't changed since those were the current generation systems. I am sure that at some point they will move to classic status but to say that only the 3 consoles mentioned are discussed here is hugely incorrect.

• Like 1

The PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, and Dreamcast are discussed in this forum section pretty much every day. It hasn't changed since those were the current generation systems. I am sure that at some point they will move to classic status but to say that only the 3 consoles mentioned are discussed here is hugely incorrect.

I'm not disagreeing with you that other systems are discussed here all the time but really their place is in the classic gaming section, not the modern gaming section.

"Ninja Gaiden" was the only XBOX title that interested me much. But man, what a sweet game. The combat system was a tad broken in that you could take out most tough enemies with wall attacks or flying swallows, but it was still quite a thrill ride and must have pushed the system to its limits.

I might get another XBOX at some point just for NG. I gave up at chapter 12 the first time around.

I'm not disagreeing with you that other systems are discussed here all the time but really their place is in the classic gaming section, not the modern gaming section.

Well I don't see any reason to pick this perfectly good thread of all the possible ones available to voice this opinion. If you really feel topics on these systems should be moved to the Classic Gaming section then post in the Atariage Suggestion/Improvements section and deal with it the proper way. Albert will make the decision one way or the other and I am sure he will give you ample opportunity to voice your opinion on it there. Disrupting a good thread in progress with your disapproval of its posted location and opinion on the matter isn't the appropriate way to address the situation. It would be one thing if it were a lone stray thread but this is the regular location for these sorts of topics. Instead of picking a random one to voice your concern use the aforementioned board which exists for these purposes. Thanks.

• Like 1

..It would be one thing if it were a lone stray thread but this is the regular location for these sorts of topics. Instead of picking a random one to voice your concern use the aforementioned board which exists for these purposes.

I agree that maybe this wasn't the best thread to pick to make a statement about where this sort of topic belongs. There are literally dozens of similar threads in this forum and no one seems to have been complaining.. This is prior to averaging in talk about the Playstation 2 and Game Cube, for that matter.

If this was a particularly serious issue, maybe the moderators would like to come up with a strict definition of what they consider to be "modern" in order to avoid this in the future. I think this could be an appropriate starting point, if it really mattered that much, anyway. Are only systems currently sold new in mainstream retail stores considered "modern"? Or is the definition based more around how games look and feel? If it was the later, judging by how many titles on the Wii look like barely-enhanced Dreamcast games, "modern" could theoretically be considered anything released in the last ten or eleven years. :ponder:

Anyways... I was playing DOOM 3 and OutRun 2 on my original XBOX the other day. Looking at these, I have to say that these games still look pretty damn "modern" to me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Austin

To get things back on track after Shawn dropped a deuce... :(

Out of curiosity, has anyone else played Xyanide or Yager?

Xyanide is a shooter that is reminiscent of maybe Robotron or Geometry wars. You can shoot in any direction and there are several branches you can take as you fly around. It's pretty and from a quick poke at Amazon you can download the soundtrack and it looks like it saw a PSP release at some point.

Yager is an okay space/futuristic air combat game; I didn't get very far in the game. Some of the missions are pretty tough and you tended to be compressed for time to handle objectives. Still, what I saw of the story was good, as were the visuals. What I'd call a good cheap OK game.

Both of these are available on Amazon under $25 new, and if you hunt around, Yager is likely to be really cheap. Both are decent titles for the X-Crate.

@ Hyper-Eye: I had no idea you had done so much work with the XBox1 -- very cool. I'd like to poke my systems with a stick in my copious free time, and may PM you about softmoding my machine when I'm in a good space to do so.

Hex.

[ Does more damage just hanging out than he even knew he was capable of... :D ]

The XBOX was a great system, for sure.. Personally, it was the last system that really struck me with awe on launch day. Maybe not as much as the Dreamcast or the Nintendo 64, but the constant smooth frame rate, the vastly-improved polygon counts, the bump mapping, the seemingly infinite draw distance and the massive scenery changes without load times (DOA3 as an example) were all very major improvements from what came before. The added features like the hard drive and the custom soundtracks added completely new capabilities and uses for a console system out-of-the box and were welcome additions that I also personally used frequently.

Many of the exclusive games on it led to the feeling that it was, for me anyway, the "hardcore gamer" system of that era, kind of like the Dreamcast was, just before it.. That may have been due to the abundance of exclusive Sega titles, but I digress.. Long live the original XBOX! :)

In at least one way, the Xbox was better than the 360 IMO. The Built in HDD is a lot of what had to do with it being able to load huge areas at once without having to stop to load. The 360 with it's driveless sku's screwed that all up. IMO, they should have included a drive with all the 360's so that we could have gotten the assumed drive and still gotten instant loading on as much as the other.

Yeah, and th eXbox was the last system that really made me go "WOW" The 360 can do more I suppose, but honestly, there's not that totally awesome factor going on any more. I hope the next generation actually offers something cool/new/different, or they make a better attempt at backwards compatibility (not that that'll happen)

I got into the Xbox extremely late in the game (bought one a few months back). I only have five games for it but from what I'd played until my Thompson drive took a dump it seemed okay. I kept getting "this disc is dirty" messages even though they were spotless. After trying to install a new laser and failing I just shelved it for a while, tired of pouring more money into it. I dunno, one of these days I may get it back into service once I buy a Samsung drive for it. I just don't know why Microsoft decided to use a proprietary DVD player of all things.

Xyanide is a shooter that is reminiscent of maybe Robotron or Geometry wars. You can shoot in any direction and there are several branches you can take as you fly around. It's pretty and from a quick poke at Amazon you can download the soundtrack and it looks like it saw a PSP release at some point.

yeah, I remember Xyanide: it was a nice shooter and still fun to play once in a while, though its level design tends to be a bit too repetitive...

yeah, I remember Xyanide: it was a nice shooter and still fun to play once in a while, though its level design tends to be a bit too repetitive...

My thoughts exactly. I bought it on launch day and I didn't really end up playing it much.. Probably just spoiled by all the PS2 shmups I was buying at the time.

Regardless, I'd like to pick it up again and give it more time.. It can be had for about $5 or $6. Not too bad, IMO.

..It would be one thing if it were a lone stray thread but this is the regular location for these sorts of topics. Instead of picking a random one to voice your concern use the aforementioned board which exists for these purposes.

I agree that maybe this wasn't the best thread to pick to make a statement about where this sort of topic belongs. There are literally dozens of similar threads in this forum and no one seems to have been complaining.. This is prior to averaging in talk about the Playstation 2 and Game Cube, for that matter.

If this was a particularly serious issue, maybe the moderators would like to come up with a strict definition of what they consider to be "modern" in order to avoid this in the future. I think this could be an appropriate starting point, if it really mattered that much, anyway. Are only systems currently sold new in mainstream retail stores considered "modern"? Or is the definition based more around how games look and feel? If it was the later, judging by how many titles on the Wii look like barely-enhanced Dreamcast games, "modern" could theoretically be considered anything released in the last ten or eleven years. :ponder:

Anyways... I was playing DOOM 3 and OutRun 2 on my original XBOX the other day. Looking at these, I have to say that these games still look pretty damn "modern" to me. :thumbsup:

i think the cut off should be if i could walk into gamestop today and buy the console/games, it's modern. i can still do that with the 6th gen.

i'd like to get another xbox, theres alot of cool games like the otogi series that aren't bc on 360.

edit-somehow i don't think i'll be buying one from andrew star

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Foffer-listing%2FB001ELWMHI%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref_%3Dsr%5F1%5Folp%5F3%26qid%3D1273816766%26sr%3D8-3&tag=atariage&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

is he on acid?

I like the original Xbox a lot, especially since you can pick up games for it right now for practically nothing!!! I actually softmodded one of the ones that I have recently, but I can't figure out how to get files over onto it, like emulators, roms, etc.

I've also got a game of Beyond Good and Evil going on it currently. I bought into the hype of how it's a cult classic and all that, and so far, it has been a great game. :cool:

i think the cut off should be if i could walk into gamestop today and buy the console/games, it's modern. i can still do that with the 6th gen.

Let's make this easy: anything from when the disc-based systems went full swing on up are modern. There. Simple. Basically, that's about the time the PS1 showed up to the present. Game play hasn't really changed much since then (grossly generalized statement I know, don't beat me up :P). We left the 2D platforming era (classic) and moved to the 3D polygon era (modern).

Since the forums only have two main threads for consoles (classic and modern) it doesn't make much sense to re-classify modern every time a new wave of consoles comes out. Is Albert supposed to then move all previous console discussions to the classic forum? That would make the classic forum a huge, bloated mess. Not to mention that said huge bloated mess would eventually cause some people to start recommending splitting the classic forum by generations. When does the insanity end?

Not to mention the big, glaring elephant in the room: there are already sub-forums for the current-gen consoles. If we move the previous gen (Xbox/GC/PS2) into "classic", then what do we talk about in "modern"?

You don't have to mod the machine to put in a replacement DVD drive. Only the 360 requires firmware modification to replace the drive. You can use any DVD drive from any version of Xbox to replace your dying drive. You can get them for $20 - $30 on ebay. Both of the Samsung drives are considered the best ones and of those the Rev. B is generally considered the better of the two. If you can't find a Samsung drive the Phillips is a good drive but do not buy a Tompson for any price.

If you have a Play n Trade nearby, they generally sell used Xbox 1's for about $29 bucks. Might be more worthwhile to just pick up one of those.

..I know I have. To date, I have 11 (!) Xbox systems. A little too much I know :lol: