IGNORED

GBA Advice Needed

Ze_ro

I've been considering getting a Gameboy Advance for a while now, but was waiting for some good games to come around (Specifically, I was waiting for a new Mario game, and a new Zelda game... but whatever). Here's a list of some of the games I've been interested in... can anyone comment on whether they're worthwhile or not?:

- Super Mario Advance 1/2/3 (I already have most of these on the SNES, but a handheld version might be fun)

- Castlevania (I know the first one is dark, but I never had any problems with Gameboy screens)

- Mega Man Battle Network (Is this a "normal" Mega Man game? Or is this something different than what I'm expecting?)

- Doom

- Contra Advance (I didn't realize this existed until I browsed GameFAQs... is this any good?)

- Metroid Fusion (Not out yet, I know...)

- Earthworm Jim (Just like the 16-bit versions?)

- Street Fighter Alpha 3 (4 buttons? Hmm...)

- Atari Anniversary Edition

- Rayman Advance (Just like the Jaguar version?)

- Motocross Maniacs Advance (I loved the B&W version!)

- Sonic Advance

- F-Zero Advance

- Super Mario Kart

(Wow, that list is longer than I expected!)

Which of these suck, and which are good? Is there anything I'm missing that I should have? I'd like to get a good role playing game too... is Golden Sun worthwhile, or should I wait until something better comes around?

--Zero

Okay:

* Doom - Not really. Doom has become more of proof-of-concept tool than a game. Like Quake is used to benchmark video cards, Doom is used to see if any given device has enough power to run Doom.

* Metroid Fusion (Not out yet, I know...) - Everything I've heard about this game makes it sound like it will be *the* title for the GBA. I hope it plays, looks and sounds very similar to the SNES version, because I *loved* that.

* Street Fighter Alpha 3 - If you've already got a few 2D fighters that you don't play this is probably not worth it. Personally I'd rather be playing X-men vs Street Fighter on my DC or Vampire Saviour on my Saturn.

* Atari Anniversary Edition - Depends if you've got the games on another platform or not. Personally I think there needs to be more and more interesting titles.

* F-Zero Advance and Super Mario Kart - Nope. I've played the originals and the GBA versions and I don't think either are worth the price. I think there's a rally title or two that's a better racing game.

Can't help with the others on the list, but here's what I've picked up so far:

* Breath of Fire II - Not worth it, even if you haven't played the original SNES version. 4/10

* Bomberman Tournament - Very nice, great for a couple of quick rounds of Bomberman in bed, or whatever. Apparently there's an adventure game in there too. 9/10

* Jackie Chan Adventures - A nice beat-em-up with good animation and response, but really only for fans of the show (of which I am one). 7/10

* e-Reader - Fans of NES titles will undoubtedly enjoy the packs of NES conversions / emulations. Pokemon stuff (the new pokemon-e expansion) doesn't really contain enough to make it worth it if you're just a pokemon fan. The most promising thing is the Game and Watch title bundled with the unit. (Although there is a 6-in-1 Game and Watch card for the GBA.) Personally I'm into funky technology regardless of the games.

HTH.

Hi Ze_ro!

I can comment on some titles as well...

- Super Mario Advance 1/2/3 (I already have most of these on the SNES, but a handheld version might be fun)

I found this is not the case for 1 & 2. I haven't played 3 yet, but I got bored with the other two sooo quick - don't buy them if you excessivly played the originals. Actually I ususally end up playing the built in bonus, a revamped version of the original Mario Bros.

- Castlevania (I know the first one is dark, but I never had any problems with Gameboy screens)

G-O-D! One of the major titles for the system! The first is almost perfect, while the second is all-in-all way too easy and has the magic-system somewhat ruined. It has improved graphics though and is still worth the money. But try "Circle..." first!

- Mega Man Battle Network (Is this a "normal" Mega Man game? Or is this something different than what I'm expecting?)

This is sort of an RPG, only it has very actionized battle scenes. While interesting at first, after two days of playing it I got so annoyed with the ultra-high RE-rate and the action scenes getting constantly worse to play, so that I quit it. Due to the many battles, you're loosing your direction quite too often. On the other hand it's a nice story and very entertaining for a while.

- Doom

Again, don't touch this if you know the original in and out - it's not the fun you'd expect. I'd rather say try Eck's vs. Sever, being original GBA work.

- Contra Advance (I didn't realize this existed until I browsed GameFAQs... is this any good?)

Not yet available in Germany.

- Earthworm Jim (Just like the 16-bit versions?)

Exactly. As usual I got bored quickly. Any gag in it is just worth seeing it once and if you did before, it'll be disappointing. Almost a 1:1 conversion though.

- Street Fighter Alpha 3 (4 buttons? Hmm...)

Not yet available in Germany.

- Atari Anniversary Edition

Didn't touch it, why should I pay for 1:1 conversions of stoneage arcade machines? :D

ULTRA-HARD! If you're in for a challenge of another kind, try it!

- Motocross Maniacs Advance (I loved the B&W version!)

Haven't seen this yet.

- Sonic Advance

Nice. Brandnew levels, so I had more fun with it than with the SMAs.

- F-Zero Advance

Too hard again for me.

- Super Mario Kart

Killer Application! Still In the charts from day one - for good reasons. You can play it virtually forever, there's so much packed in this game, even I as a single player am still not bored with it after months. It contains 20 original courses plus the 20 SNES tracks, so you'll need a long time to master them all.

Is there anything I'm missing that I should have? I'd like to get a good role playing game too... is Golden Sun worthwhile, or should I wait until something better comes around?

Golden Sun is worth the money. It's tons of eye-candy, but still they

didn't forget about the game. I had my 50+ hours fun with it, so - definitely recommended!

Advance Wars: Must have! I'm still playing it at least once a week and I own it since the day it was released.

Well, generally I can only recommend "Try before you buy" since virtually 95+% of the available games are crap.

Greetings,

Manuel

Let me just say this. METROID FUSION IS THE FUNNEST NEW GAME I'VE PLAYED IN A LONG LONG WHILE. Yeah I played it via an emu. But I want to buy the cart so I forced myself to stop playing halfway through so I don't ruin it too much for myself (you see, I tend to use savestates a little too much in emu's) ;) But anyway, I digress.. yes it's a lot like the SNES version.. but OH SO MUCH MORE! :)

Also the new Castlevania H.O.D. is great as well. If your a fan of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the psx, then this is your game. After all, it's basically the proper sequel! (By the way the first GBA Castlevania is good... but forget it, just get Castlevania HOD.

*Advance Wars: Yes. Get it.

*Contra Advance: Just the snes version basically. But you have less screen space! sort of iffy...

*I personally like Konami Classic Collection myself... good old Time Pilot on the go!

* Doom - Not really.  Doom has become more of proof-of-concept tool than a game.  Like Quake is used to benchmark video cards, Doom is used to see if any given device has enough power to run Doom.

I had a chance to play Doom a bit on the GBA and I thought it was pretty damn cool. Of course, maybe I was just thinking it was awesome that the GBA had enough power to run Doom better than the Jaguar did (and from what I understand, it's a port of the Jaguar code). Also has networked multiplayer support and the background music the Jaguar version is missing. :)

..Al

So you don't have a GBA?It is a good system,but I just never play it.None of the games really make me wanna play it too much.The games I have really played on it are the Castlevania games.Other than that I don't play it.Maybe when Fusion comes out I will,but still not too much.Advance Wars is good too,but it gets old fast,once you best it that is.Golden Sun is good too,but it is too easy and you never pick it up again after you best it.Whatever,that is all just what I think. :x :sad: :roll:

Thanks for the advice! I figured it would be quicker to ask here than to browse GameFAQs for hours... plus, I figure you guys have similar tastes to me anyways :)

What is Advance Wars like? Is it a strategy game like Command & Conquer or something? I've heard from a number of people that it's quite good, but I've never been a big strategy buff (although if I could find it cheap...)

Perhaps I should just try some of the games on an emulator and see for myself...

--Zero

My friend has finished the new gameboy metroid. He says that although it not that long and takes maybe 3 hours the first time through it's still stellar, one of the best games he's played period. I've played the castlevania games and both of them are fantastic.

What is Advance Wars like? Is it a strategy game like Command & Conquer or something? I've heard from a number of people that it's quite good, but I've never been a big strategy buff (although if I could find it cheap...)

--Zero

advance wars the reason i bought a gba, and i love it. it is a turn-based strategy game. most of the time, you are given a force which doesnt get bigger, but occasionaly you can build more units. the gameplay is similar to fire emblem or even tactics ogre, without hero units or any rpg style gameplay. you can read what i have to think about it here: http://www.geocities.com/pgames16/wars.html

also, i know i havent updated my site for a long time, so you dont have to tell me!

I'll add a couple of more good GBA titles...

if you need a FPS / Doom-type game, get Ecks vs. Sever...it's old-fashioned fun.

Three Stooges - a port of an old computer game (I had it for Commodore 64...great game)

Fortress, cross between Tetris and Rampart...addictive puzzler.

Hope this helps!!

Three Stooges - a port of an old computer game (I had it for Commodore 64...great game)

Holy crap, you mean they redid that old game where you have to prevent that guy from forclosing on the orphanage? I can't believe they'd bring that one back! :eek:

To be honest, I never played it much... it just seems like an odd game to remake while Ghostbusters sits there waiting...

--Zero

I don't believe anyone's pontificated upon Sonic Advance. If you were a fan of the Genesis Sonic games then this is a logical extension. Very well done, and shows up very nicely on the non-lit screen.

I'm shocked I didn't mention it either. Actually I was more shocked that it happened in the first place. I'm playing Sonic.. on a NINTENDO?!?! I still can't get over that. Damn good game though!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I got a GBA for Christmas, so now I can finally buy these games and stop playing them on emulators... I got Golden Sun as a pack-in, and it's a great game. Seeing as how much I played my Lynx, the graphics in Golden Sun blew me away...

I'm definitely sold on Metroid Fusion. I played it in an emulator for a while, and it's simply amazing. Kind of sucks to hear that it's a rather short game, but I still think it's worth it.

As for the Castlevania games, I'll definitely get one of them... but I'm still not sure which one. I've played each of them in the emulator, and they're almost completely different games! They're both very good... but I'm not sure I have the money to buy both of them, seeing as how there's so many other games I'd like to get.

I think I'll avoid most of the SNES ports until I can get them for cheap (What's with everyone going crazy for the Legend of Zelda game? Am I the only one that bought it for the SNES? I'd rather get the Oracle of ____ games...) One exception might be Yoshi's Island, since I don't have the SNES version yet.

From what I've read, Megaman Battle Network sounds like crap... Megaman Zero is pretty fun though (although the overly japanese dialog is rather annoying (Lines and lines of "........." and the like), at least it's real Megaman).

Despite your warnings, I'll probably end up getting both Doom and Doom II eventually... I'm a huge fan of Doom, and the nostalgia and portability alone will probably be worth it to me (even if the green blood is pretty lame)

Motocross Maniacs Advance is awful. It's nothing like the original GB version. Guess I'll have to keep my eye out for the earlier one... :(

Sonic Advance and Mario Kart are others that I'll definitely have to get... I haven't seen Sonic for a good price anywhere though, so it might be a while (That damn game was priced at $60 when it came out... $60!!!). Is Sonic Advance 2 changed much? Or is it basically just new levels?

Thanks a lot for your advice! I'm still not sure about Advance Wars... it seems like a fun game, but I have a hard time getting into strategy games, so we'll see.

--Zero

- F-Zero Advance

--Zero

Hi,

I own Castlevania Harmony of........ and it is great, good to play and it makes fun. :thumbsup:

Metroid Fusion is out in germany, I have it, great. Better than others before. ;) :thumbsup:

Rayman and F-Zero I HAVE owned, I sold them. If you have F-Zero for the SNEs, then it´s ok and Rayman is nice, but not so good as it was written in the papers.

Greets

Michael

I'm coming to very much love my GBA. I think I enjoy it much much more than any of the current big consoles.

I mean, since I bought this thing about two months ago, this is what I've gotten:

Dragon Warrior I + II (GBC)

Dragon Warrior III (GBC)

Joust/Defender (GBC)

Phantasy Star Collection

Tactics Ogre

Golden Sun

Lunar Legend

Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder

Advance Wars

Monster Rancher Advance 2

Namco Museum

Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advance

Gradius Galaxies

Robotech: The Macross Saga

Tekken Advance

As you can see, I'm pretty big on RPGs, classics, and scrolling shooters. And in the case of this generation of consoles, the GBA is the ONLY system that is really catering to my desires. In about two months, I have as many games for it as I have for my PS2 that I've had a year.

I'd definitely recommend picking up Namco Museum. I play that game a lot and I think anyone into any kind of retrogaming will get a lot of mileage out of it too. Tekken Advance is pretty cool too if you can find it for cheap (I got mine at Toys R Us for $10). Right now I'm spending quality time with the Dragon Warrior series. When I get done beating all three of them, I'll go on to Tactics Ogre, Golden Sun, or Lunar Legend. Oh, and Advance Wars is a cool little game too, I'd snag that one if you can find it.

And in the case of this generation of consoles, the GBA is the ONLY system that is really catering to my desires.

I hear that... I'd much rather have quality side-scrolling games like Metroid... instead of all these first-person 3D games like Metroid ;)

Anyways, I ended up buying Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon, and it's great (I had a hard time choosing, but I think this is the better game overall, and I was able to find it for a lower price). I've yet to get Metroid Fusion, since the price is a little high at the moment (I'm rather broke)... instead, I've been mulling over games like Wario Land 4 ($30 CDN), Sonic Advance ($35 used), and NHL 2002 ($25)... I need a hockey fix, and it doesn't look like 2003 is coming out, and the only other hockey around is one of those retarded "Hitz" games...

I've also seen huge amounts of used F-Zero's around... I'm not sure why there are so many, but I'll probably pick up a copy when a good price shows up (I don't have the SNES version). Similarly, Fortress seems to be everywhere, and I could use some puzzle action...

I'll have to be on the lookout for good prices on Gradius Galaxies, Konami Collectors Edition, and Bomberman Tournament...

--Zero

I recently replaced my GBA (broken L button, it was driving me crazy!!). The good people at Stop n Save software were willing to give me $40 for it too!

here's all of what I own, I recommend them all:

GB + GBC:

Metroid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Zelda : Link's Awakening

Zelda : Oracle of Ages

Zelda : Oracle of Seasons

GBA:

Advance Wars

Golden Sun

Castlevania : Circle of the Moon

Tactics Ogre : The Knight of Lodis (best game ever!)

Klonoa

Castlevania : Harmony of Dissonance

Yoshi's Island

Metroid Fusion

Zelda : Link to the Past

metal gear for GBC was overlooked... if you ever see that, play it. and about contra advance, its only 6 levels, some from the snes game, some from the genesis game. good luck!