IGNORED

Best Lesser-Known Games?

eegad

Pele's Soccer! Fun! Fun! fun!

also Video Pinball, Indy 500, Bump N Jump, and Carnival.

Think I still have mine from '83 (still in its now very tatty box with manual). Used to play it a lot but it soon became very easy to rack up big scores. It's an Atari title that doesn't seem to come up on eBay very often.

I'd also go with Frostbite. A very slick Frogger-ish game and one my all-time 2600 faves.

Yep, Frostbite and Dark Cavern are 2 others that I agree with - a couple of great under-rated games.

To the person that mentioned Sky Diver.... that was the 2nd or 3rd game I got as a kid for the Atari, and I loved it - thought it was so funny when the guy would "splat" on the ground. Doesn't stand up so much these days though.

To those who mentioned Carnival and Bump & Jump....they don't count, since they are arcade conversions. :) (To the person that mentioned Journey, that one counts since unless I am mistaken, they made the 2600 game first, then made a very different game for the arcade)

We all have our own opinions, but the one nomination that I just have to disagree with is Gangster Alley. Got that one last year in an ebay auction lot and, after playing it a couple of times, relegated it to the "worst games ever" list. :)

After playing the Flashback 2+, I believe Fatal Run was a superior driving game, even by today's standards. They should totally make a remake.

I can't figure that game out. The instructions say to distribute radiation vaccine to the cities and I can't figure out how to do that.

To those who mentioned Carnival and Bump & Jump....they don't count, since they are arcade conversions.

OK, I'll change my Carnival and Bump n Jump to Golf and Robot Tank. Stargunner is a good one, too. I agree with the Sky Diver vote. That is a pretty fun game, too.

I can't figure that game out. The instructions say to distribute radiation vaccine to the cities and I can't figure out how to do that.

I think by sheer nature of you getting to a city, you've automatically "distributed" the vaccine.

My votes are for:

Bumper Bash

Fast Eddie

BMX Airmaster

Bugs Bunny

Omega Race

Kung-Fu Master

Klax

Pooyan

Time Pilot

Hero is a pretty well-known game for enthusiasts but if you asked people who don't collect, they typically wouldn't know that one. Or kaboom, even though it sold so well. Just the ten or so big ones..

asteroids, pac-man, space invaders, breakout, centipede, missile command, pitfall. Even river raid and yar's are not as famous as those, among the uninitiated. For serious collectors, very few good games aren't well-known.

I'm sticking with Sky Diver. I saw at least one other person mentioned it. It is one of the best for simultaneous play with youngsters. And the best overall unknown to non collectors is pretty much the whole Starpath collection, they play as if you were on different hardware.

Off the top of my head, I'd say -

Stellar Track (love this game, my friends and I would keep hitting the Reset switch to try to get a combination of the most enemies with the fewest stardates)

Dodge 'Em

Canyon Bomber (I know there's an arcade version but neither version is very popular or even well-remembered by most people)

Space War

Surround (the LEGO graphics version of Light Cycles for me and my friends growing up, I can still hear the sound effects in my head)

Bugs is a fun title to play every once in awhile (It's that kind of game you think sucks at first, but it grows on you after awhile).

All other games I would have said have already been mentioned by others.

I'm sticking with Sky Diver. I saw at least one other person mentioned it. It is one of the best for simultaneous play with youngsters.

Yeah, that was me that mentioned that a little bit ago and the funny thing is my 10-year-old son and I were just playing Sky Diver yesterday. After that, we played Steeplechase.

Good times! :thumbsup: