IGNORED

ColecoVision Bank Tester, Color Pattern Cartridge

Madaracs

Hey gang,

Long time lurker here...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a ROM or a cartridge that exists to do some bank testing on the ColecoVision mainboard? I have a RevF that appears to have been submerged in Coca-Cola or some other toxic abrasive yet the board still functions... mostly. It will load standard ColecoVision carts but nothing with a large memory footprint. So homebrew games like Mario Bros. will not load or play.

I bought some ICs to replace bad memory (if that's the case) but I was wondering if there was a way to test the memory... I do have a way to burn a ROM if necessary. Of course, it might be a trace since it's all nice and bubbly but I still think it would be great to have a bank tester if there were such a thing.

Thanks,

-Madaracs

Hey gang,

Long time lurker here...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a ROM or a cartridge that exists to do some bank testing on the ColecoVision mainboard? I have a RevF that appears to have been submerged in Coca-Cola or some other toxic abrasive yet the board still functions... mostly. It will load standard ColecoVision carts but nothing with a large memory footprint. So homebrew games like Mario Bros. will not load or play.

I bought some ICs to replace bad memory (if that's the case) but I was wondering if there was a way to test the memory... I do have a way to burn a ROM if necessary. Of course, it might be a trace since it's all nice and bubbly but I still think it would be great to have a bank tester if there were such a thing.

Thanks,

-Madaracs

I stand to be corrected but the only utility I know of is for the ADAM to test the CV board in the computer, and even then I think it needs at least a 64K ram expander to run. Might be something else out there I am not aware of....

Hey gang,

Long time lurker here...

Thanks,

-Madaracs

I don't know of any such test program.

My guess your Cartridge slot is corroded and/or has some bent pins. I recommend this for removing corrosion. I use it for all my refurbishing work.

Sure would be a bummer not to be able to play PMC and Mario Bros.

Hope you get it working.

I don't know of any such test program. My guess your Cartridge slot is corroded and/or has some bent pins. I recommend this for removing corrosion. I use it for all my refurbishing work. Sure would be a bummer not to be able to play PMC and Mario Bros.

Oh, I'm not in any danger of not being able to play Mario Bros. ;-) I have 5 Colecovision machines right now. 4 of them work fine... well--with a switch mod or two here and there. Anyway, I will give the cart slot cleaning a shot but I really think it's RAM. I should take a photo of the bottom of that board it's really really sad. I was shocked that after a switch mod it even turned on!

Thanks for the help though!

-Madaracs

I don't know of any such test program. My guess your Cartridge slot is corroded and/or has some bent pins. I recommend this for removing corrosion. I use it for all my refurbishing work. Sure would be a bummer not to be able to play PMC and Mario Bros.

Oh, I'm not in any danger of not being able to play Mario Bros. ;-) I have 5 Colecovision machines right now. 4 of them work fine... well--with a switch mod or two here and there. Anyway, I will give the cart slot cleaning a shot but I really think it's RAM. I should take a photo of the bottom of that board it's really really sad. I was shocked that after a switch mod it even turned on!

Thanks for the help though!

-Madaracs

What do you mean by "switch mod"? Do you mean replacing the power switch?

This is my method for Power switch refurbishing.

I remove power switch from the board dissemble it, clean old grease off everything with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Clean the slides and contact points with DeoxIT. Apply a coat of high quality lithium dielectric grease. Reassemble and solder it back on the board. I find this very effective, and see no need for switch replacement.

Please post an update if the cart slot cleaning enables you to play mega carts on that unit.

What do you mean by "switch mod"? Do you mean replacing the power switch? This is my method for Power switch refurbishing. I remove power switch from the board dissemble it, clean old grease off everything with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Clean the slides and contact points with DeoxIT. Apply a coat of high quality lithium dielectric grease. Reassemble and solder it back on the board. I find this very effective, and see no need for switch replacement. Please post an update if the cart slot cleaning enables you to play mega carts on that unit.

I didn't know what to buy to re-grease the switch so on my first one I ended up modding it... adding a big ol' chunky switch and I also popped in a power light. I quite like adding new switches to the machine and power lights are very nice to have on a ColecoVision. It works flawlessly now.

I do have one Coleco that is very clean and is in the original box. The switch on that one is not the greatest either so I'll go see if I can find some "High Quality Lithium Dielectric Grease" and refurb that switch. I don't intend on ever modding that model.

I'll try the cart slot cleaning this weekend and post a response. I'm going to see Henry Rollins tonight and have some errands tomorrow so it probably wont' happen until Sunday.

You can also check in with you local electronics hobbyist store and get a 'logic probe' for like $10. There's an article on the Digital Press archives about checking and replacing RAM using one. Google away, and good luck!

Please post an update if the cart slot cleaning enables you to play mega carts on that unit.

The cart slot cleaning didn't do any good. The Mario Bros. cartridge loads to the "Collectorvision" screen and just stalls out. All of the standard carts continue to work. I think it has to be a RAM problem at this point. Most cartridges in the original Coleco library do not exceed 8 or 16K. And of course, this cartridge still works great on all of my other machines.

It's just so sad because I can't get it to work fully. I will probably end up recylcing it at this point. *le sigh*

In other news, I successfully modded one of my "good" ColecoVision units with a new switch, a cool active/standby LED and the RGB component kit from 5-11under. I'll post about that in the appropriate forum.

• 2 weeks later...

You should check the upper most address lines on the cartridge slot for continuity to the CPU:

CPU Pin: Signal: Cart slot pin

---------------------------

2: A12: 24

3: A13: 19

4: A14: 20

And the enable lines from U5 to the Cartridge slot for continuity

U5 pin: Signal: cart slot pin

-------------------------

11: EN_80: 18

10: EN_A0: 22

9: EN_C0: 2

7: EN_E0: 27

If those lines are corroded through then the larger carts will not work.

Edited by channelmaniac

• 4 months later...

You should check the upper most address lines on the cartridge slot for continuity to the CPU:

CPU Pin: Signal: Cart slot pin

---------------------------

2: A12: 24

3: A13: 19

4: A14: 20

And the enable lines from U5 to the Cartridge slot for continuity

U5 pin: Signal: cart slot pin

-------------------------

11: EN_80: 18

10: EN_A0: 22

9: EN_C0: 2

7: EN_E0: 27

If those lines are corroded through then the larger carts will not work.

Hey, I know this is late but thanks for the post. I still have the board so maybe I'll plug it in and check them out.

Hey gang,

Long time lurker here...

Thanks,

-Madaracs

Check this website out for some CV Mod Boards with full PDF instructions available. They also have a mod to replace the current +5v memory chips with memory chips that require less voltage... therefore of course less heat build up. Looks like some nice stuff, but I'll let you decide as my days of fiddling have long past.

Has anyone else heard of this place or dealt with them?

http://www.arcadecomponents.com/index.html

Jim

Edited by NIAD

• 4 weeks later...

Hey gang,

Long time lurker here...

Thanks,

-Madaracs

Check this website out for some CV Mod Boards with full PDF instructions available. They also have a mod to replace the current +5v memory chips with memory chips that require less voltage... therefore of course less heat build up. Looks like some nice stuff, but I'll let you decide as my days of fiddling have long past.

http://www.arcadecom....com/index.html

Jim

Hi Jim,

That's my site. ;)

Raymond

Hey gang,

Long time lurker here...

Thanks,

-Madaracs

http://www.arcadecom....com/index.html

Jim

Hi Jim,

That's my site. ;)

Raymond

I think my friend, Jim ordered some stuff from you for my Tron machine. :)