IGNORED

Indus GT drive error - H3 - what does this mean?!?

The manual doesn't list "H" as a possible option when reading the error codes. Does anyone know what this error means?

Thanks,

Roger

:ponder:

UPDATE: upon doing a search in this forum, I found a post from 2004 and the person states that this means:

"The drive failed the floppy disk controller test."

Ummm, is there anyone that knows how to fix this or can help me get this rectified?!? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by dafivehole

Maybe run a disk cleaner thru the drive ???

Doubt that will work - sounds more like the hardware failed an internal diagnostic.

You could always try the "re-seat all the connectors" trick - sometimes it works, especially with older hardware; the pins and connectors get oxidized and pulling the connections and re-seating them sometimes cleans the contacts and corrects weird issues.

That's what I thought it might mean :sad:

This doesn't sound like an easy solution though... are there any "resident experts" on the Indus GT out there?!?

I might have to bite the bullet and try to sell it for parts if the repair is too pricey or complex.

Thanks,

Roger

This doesn't sound like an easy solution though... are there any "resident experts" on the Indus GT out there?!?

I might have to bite the bullet and try to sell it for parts if the repair is too pricey or complex.

Thanks,

Roger

Re-seat all the chips on the circuit board. re-seat all the wire connectors. if you still have a problem then junk it or sell it for parts. The Idus GT is a pain in the Ass when it comes to troubleshooting problems.

I don't know that I would junk it... sounds like the FDC chip is bad. Don't know what they use in the Indus, but it is probably fixable. You might need another Indus to swap parts with.

Bob

Thanks,

Roger

The manual doesn't list "H" as a possible option when reading the error codes. Does anyone know what this error means?

Thanks,

Roger

:ponder:

UPDATE: upon doing a search in this forum, I found a post from 2004 and the person states that this means:

"The drive failed the floppy disk controller test."

Ummm, is there anyone that knows how to fix this or can help me get this rectified?!? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

grab the service manual from http://www.reedcc.com/INDUS_GT_FSManual.pdf

here is the section on a H3 error

3.4.5 (C3/H3) Floppy Disk Controller Test *

The floppy disk controller (FDC) is the heart of the disk drive. This test runs through a complex series of routines to checkout the FDC. The test proceeds as follows:

1. The UART issues a FORCE IMMEDIATE INTERRUFT command to the FDC.

2. The Z80A goes into a short time delay loop for 52 microseconds. This is the maximum time the WD1770 should require to respond. The WD2797 is a lot faster.

3. The FDCs INTRQ line is tested to see if the FDC has interrupted. Note that the FDCs INTRQ line is not tied to the Z80As IRQ line. The test fails if the FDC has not responded.

4. The FDC is issued a FORCE INTERRUPT command to clear the FORCE IMMEDIATE INTERRUPT condition.

5. The Z80A once again waits for 52 microseconds to allow plenty of time for the FDC to respond.

6. The FDC status register is read to clear the FDC interrupt condition.

7. The Z80A waits for another 52 microseconds to allow time for the FDC to respond.

8. The FDC INTRO line is again tested to make sure the FDC has cleared it. The test fails if the FDC has not responded.

9. The FDC track, sector, and data registers (in that order) are loaded with 00H, 01H, and 02H respectively. Then the data, sector, and track registers (in that order) are tested to see if the pattern has changed. The test fails if there is a mismatch. If all three patterns match, the test is repeated with 01H, 02H, and 03H respectively. This testing continues until the last pattern used is FFH, 00H, and 01H respectively.

10. The FDC track register is copied to the data register and a seek command is issued. This causes the FDC to seek to the track it is already on. This test verifies that the WD1770 is in Mode 1 and that the IP is reselected in the status register. This test isn’t required with the WD2797.

11. The FDC index pulse (IP) line is set active.

12. The Z80A delays for slightly more than 20 microseconds to give the FDC time to react.

13. The FDC status register is checked to see if the index was recognized. The test fails if it was not recognized.

14. The FDC index pulse line is deactivated.

15. The Z80A delays for slightly more than 20 microseconds to give the FDC time to react.

16. The FDC status register is checked to see if the removal of the index was recognized. The test fails if it was not recognized.

If any of these tests fail, the drive will show H3 in the LED display and ’H’alt.

I would try replacing 74LS244 (U19) first. It often goes bad in Indus (as well as U23).

What exactly is that and how would I fix it?

Thanks,

Roger

U19 and U23 are 2 74LS244 chips on the main-board, they might be soldered in. a 74LS244 is an octal buffer/line driver, it is for buffering signals usually. the 2 that Trub mention are for: (U19) buffering the Atari port signals and IRQ/DRQ signals internally (to the data bus). if that chip has failed you can get the H3 (Halt in test 3) error code

(U23) sits between the 4 config switches on the back and the data-bus and the front panel switches and the data bus.

by sits between I mean electrically.

have you taken a meter and checked the voltages at the powersupply conection? if it is too far out of spec it can cause odd behavior.

if it is the disk controller, I forget exactly which one the indus uses, but if that is bad, it's a chip swap to repair the problem. I've fixed several 1050's that way, swapping the FDC chip and RIOT.

also, what part of the country or world are you located in, there may be someone near by that can swap parts / fix it for you.

Edited by tregare

if it is the disk controller, I forget exactly which one the indus uses, but if that is bad, it's a chip swap to repair the problem.

It is WD2797. The board is also designed to use 1770 instead, but apparently they never use the latter.

I would try replacing 74LS244 (U19) first. It often goes bad in Indus (as well as U23).

What exactly is that and how would I fix it?

Thanks,

Roger

U19 and U23 are 2 74LS244 chips on the main-board, they might be soldered in. a 74LS244 is an octal buffer/line driver, it is for buffering signals usually. the 2 that Trub mention are for: (U19) buffering the Atari port signals and IRQ/DRQ signals internally (to the data bus). if that chip has failed you can get the H3 (Halt in test 3) error code

(U23) sits between the 4 config switches on the back and the data-bus and the front panel switches and the data bus.

by sits between I mean electrically.

have you taken a meter and checked the voltages at the powersupply conection? if it is too far out of spec it can cause odd behavior.

if it is the disk controller, I forget exactly which one the indus uses, but if that is bad, it's a chip swap to repair the problem. I've fixed several 1050's that way, swapping the FDC chip and RIOT.

also, what part of the country or world are you located in, there may be someone near by that can swap parts / fix it for you.

I'm near Dallas, TX.

Thanks