IGNORED

Hozer almost had me here

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506369169071?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250636916907&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Wow, that was a close one! You know how quick you try to act if you see a good Buy It Now? Well, when I saw the BIN price, Hozer was the first thing that came to mind so I was looking for that little head on the cartridge and didn't see it. Then, I saw this in the description "1982 Mystique 101". Of course, I looked down a bit further and saw "Note: This game is made by hoser video".

Does anyone see anything on the label that indicates it's a reproduction? Or, is that a picture of a real Custer's being used to sell a reproduction?

This has been an issue throughout AtariAge's existence. I'd prefer that people have clean, unmolested images rather than watermarked images simply to promote the site (or prevent this kind of abuse). I can't stand sites that watermark images. There are some exceptions, but for a site like AtariAge, I'm not keen on it at all.

..Al

Same thing happened to me. I saw it and nearly purchased it, but then read the fine print. I'm not totally against what Hoser does, but if they don't clearly label their games as reproductions it becomes a problem.

Oh, I agree. If the cart picture they showed some abnormality (that little head or anyhing else), that would have immediately gave it away. Also, if they would put something in the title about being a repro. They have their disclaimers and I can't disagree with that but still a little shady IMO. Then again, this one may be better than others since at least this seller statest that it's a reproduction in the actual description unlike some that just say "Made by Hozer". Well, if you are new to Atari and thinking you are getting a great deal, you may not know what Hozer is.

Oh, I agree. If the cart picture they showed some abnormality (that little head or anyhing else), that would have immediately gave it away. Also, if they would put something in the title about being a repro. They have their disclaimers and I can't disagree with that but still a little shady IMO. Then again, this one may be better than others since at least this seller statest that it's a reproduction in the actual description unlike some that just say "Made by Hozer". Well, if you are new to Atari and thinking you are getting a great deal, you may not know what Hozer is.

I don't think you can show a picture of the little head... ebay has decency rules about that kind of stuff. I for one am glad he didn't show it. But seriously, if you haven't collected in awhile and then got back into it without knowing about Hoser, you could accidentally make that mistake. To be fair to the guy/girl, I accidentally (forgot about this) did click buy-it-now for one of his auctions, and when I wrote to Hoser and told him/her that I didn't realize it was a reproduction, he/she said 'that's fine, don't worry about it'. So, they seem decent.

Oh wow, I didn't know you couldn't show the Hozer Head on the catridge, I have seen many. Who knows with ebay though, rules are always changing and some people can get away with it for a month while others will have their auction ended in a matter of hours.

Auctions with Hozer Heads on the carts:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506372311971?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250637231197&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3004284503841?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300428450384&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3004284523731?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300428452373&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3004284536011?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300428453601&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

....and these are just a few, there are more on ebay right now.

Sounds like they are good people if they were fine with the misunderstanding and were OK with cancelling the auction since you thought it was an original. Then again, as I stated, "Reproduction" or "Repro" in the title would clearly take care of this problem in nearly all cases.

I hope the buyer doesn't think they are getting the real deal. :|

Oh wow, I didn't know you couldn't show the Hozer Head on the catridge, I have seen many. Who knows with ebay though, rules are always changing and some people can get away with it for a month while others will have their auction ended in a matter of hours.

Auctions with Hozer Heads on the carts:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506372311971?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250637231197&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3004284503841?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300428450384&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3004284523731?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300428452373&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3004284536011?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300428453601&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

....and these are just a few, there are more on ebay right now.

Sounds like they are good people if they were fine with the misunderstanding and were OK with cancelling the auction since you thought it was an original. Then again, as I stated, "Reproduction" or "Repro" in the title would clearly take care of this problem in nearly all cases.

I hope the buyer doesn't think they are getting the real deal. :|

I think that was supposed to be a joke (think dirty). If you did accidentally buy it, I'm sure you could have gotten out of completing the transaction. I did this once and then informed the seller that I found out that the cartridge is an unauthorized reproduction which is in violation of ebay rules.

Edited by taxman

I did this once and then informed the seller that I found out that the cartridge is an unauthorized reproduction which is in violation of ebay rules.

Unfortunately, they don't give a shit, try it yourself and report them. They do NOTHING.

This has been an issue throughout AtariAge's existence.  I'd prefer that people have clean, unmolested images rather than watermarked images simply to promote the site (or prevent this kind of abuse).  I can't stand sites that watermark images.  There are some exceptions, but for a site like AtariAge, I'm not keen on it at all.

..Al

I agree.  Would it be possible to make the canvas size of the image a bit bigger to put some sort of AtariAge seal?  Might be quite a bit of a hassle now, and of course people will just photoshop it away,  So nevermind!

I did this once and then informed the seller that I found out that the cartridge is an unauthorized reproduction which is in violation of ebay rules.

Unfortunately, they don't give a shit, try it yourself and report them. They do NOTHING.

I don't understand eBay sometimes. They cancelled my Malagai chip auctions twice when someone reported them. The first time I got it reinstated, then a little while later, they cancelled it again, this time saying that even if the Malagai is an original it was a copyright violation for me to suggest that someone could use an Asteroids cart to put the Malagai chip into. WTF? That's not a copyright violation! But yet they do jack about Hoser repros and the thousands and thousands of illegal PDF scans of arcade manuals that are on eBay at any time.

Well at least it got me out of the transaction.