IGNORED

Donkey Kong Junior XL/XE - do you like it?

So were currently playing DK Jr in the HSC... some observations and discussion points :)

any thoughts on the character movements - are they in blocks rather than pixel by pixel due to keeping the code small? getting the game out quickly? so the chars interact with the ropes more easily maybe? Would more moveable positions have meant more char sets etc ?:

There are lots of cosmetic things in DK Jr that could have been improved; e.g. can't see the crocs behind the fruit - falling things have rope graphic even if not on rope etc... Coders spend ages improving these 'cosmetic' things in other games, but here we have a game that is very addictive nontheless, as the gameplay, varieties of screens, plus incremental difficulty makes it a winner. Maybe more coders could take note of this and save themselves a lot of time :ponder:

I read a memo somewhere that the programmer was behind schedule on the project and offered to 'speed things up' if they got paid more. The memo recommended firing the program after the project was done. I also think I read that the programmer originally wanted to do it in FORTH but the game was too slow. I might be confusing that part with a different game though, I'll have to look for those memos again.

If Landon Dyer pops up on AA again he can shed some light on it.

Tempest

I read a memo somewhere that the programmer was behind schedule on the project and offered to 'speed things up' if they got paid more. The memo recommended firing the program after the project was done. I also think I read that the programmer originally wanted to do it in FORTH but the game was too slow. I might be confusing that part with a different game though, I'll have to look for those memos again.

If Landon Dyer pops up on AA again he can shed some light on it.

Tempest

I sort of remember reading that, but I was thinking it was a different game that she (the programmer) was working on.