IGNORED

MicroSpartaDos 4.3 release

pirx

Hello!

Pecus with my humble support rewrote the ingenious MicroSpartaDos (MSDOS ;), originally programmed by Jiri Bernasek in 1993.

The main reason for the remake was adding support of quadruple sectors (512 bytes/sector), but we (Pecus mainly) managed to seriously squeeze the MEMLO.

The minimal values are:

Single density: $8D3

Double density: $953

Quadruple(512): $A53

Enjoy your SpartaDOS based game collections with this new, exciting release ^_^.

pirx

MSDOS43.zip

Is this version -like the original- with the high speed loader ?

If so: please release also a version without any high speed loader at all.

High Speed loader s*cks with Emulator and even worse: due to the high speed loader it has certain incompatibility issues with MyIDE.

In the original version I was able to kill that high speed routine, but that was years ago. I don't want to do that the hard way again... So if you could release a non-highspeed version, that would be appreciated very much!

Marius

It might be good to have option so the user can cut on or off the high speed loader.

There is an option... hold shift and chose game. But already in the boot process the high speed is initialised, and that is causing trouble already on myide (and on emulators it is slowing down the I/O)

Perhaps with that MSINI program one could alter a high-speed I/O flag in the msdos.com itself? I think the game loader itself should not grow in size to implent this... a bigger game loader is less compatible i'm afraid.

Thx.

M.

Hi!

Thanks for comments!

Well, holding [sHIFT] during boot turns off High Speed I/O entirely (please have a look at MSDOS.TXT for this and other interesting information), but do please check the latest version with MyIDE and emulators.

MSDOS4.3 has got only the cleanest turbo implemented (UltraSpeed). It asks the drive for its speed with "?" command and if the drive returns an interesting value, the HS routine is launched.

As far as I can see it works perfectly in Atari800Win, I mean SIO patch works full speed. I doubt there are any problems with MyIDE, but we can not test it ourselves.

Cheers,

pirx

Edited by pirx

Well I just had to give this a try. I used MakeAtr to rip some of my orignal Mypicodos-MyDos 16meg ATR's to local drive [folders]. Then emptied two SpartaDos ATR's with Emulator [16meg] copied over MSDOS43.COM & MSINI2.COM. Typed BOOT MSDOS43.COM, and tested with Emulator. So far everything is working good on the Emulator. Then using MakeAtr again opened first SpartaDosGame.atr and loaded it full of the files from local [folders]. Renamed my PICONAME.TXT files to msdos.dat. Wrote a small basic program to change the mypicodos format to msdos.dat format on all the ATR folders. Rebooted with Emulator with SDX442(maxflash).ROM and all the files and folders are set.

I have ran quite a few of the games with the emulator and so far only two games didn't load.

Freecell.com from Flop Magazine caused a crash.

Gyruss file version caused a crash.

I was using Atirra 1.6, next I am going to copy the atr's to Sio2Sd and try these games on real hardware.

with sio2sd drive

Freecell.com from Flop Magazine caused a crash.

Gyruss file version caused a crash.

[/qoute]

These are now loading with the SHIFT+"key" to stop high SIO, and a couple more that were acting strange work with the 'shift+key'. Damn it sure helps to read documentation occasionally.