IGNORED

E71 error?! Noooooooo...!

Jess Ragan

Boy, this just couldn't have come at a better time, could it, Microsoft? Last night my Xbox 360 died on me, giving me the dreaded red ring of death and the E71 error. Apparently the system firmware is messed up, and I'll need to have it sent in for repairs. On my (non-existent) dime. I don't really like the Playstation 3, but with my Xbox 360 dead I guess I'd better get used to it.

Why would you have to pay for it? Microsoft offers a three year warrenty on all XBox 360's with the RROD. Just call them and they will e-mail you a prepaid UPS code, which you can then use to ship it back to them on THEIR dime.

My experience has been it takes about two weeks to get it back and it includes a free month of XBox Live.

BTW, the E71 and RROD errors are actually different -- I've had both. It's believed the E71 is due to a failue of the graphic chip or some other related function inside the system. RROD's are USUALLY caused by a failue in the main heatsink and/or CPU.

I've also heard the newer units -- made in 2009 and on -- don't have the failues as often as eariler units. My own personal experience isn't long enough to offer anything usefull on this -- I bought my current one from a friend who didn't need it when she got it new in November of 2009.

When you get your XBox you'll also need to transfer the licence over from your old unit to your new one for anything you bought and downloaded -- games, movies, music, and so on. Instructions can be found both here in past threads and on the XBox Live website. You can only do this once a year, though.

My system was manufactured in November 16, 2005. I purchased it in May of the following year, from a game store, and it was used. I can't even register the system because the previous owners already did that. Moral of the story? Don't buy used Xbox 360s.

I'm a little surprised that the console has lasted this long... most of these launch units died within two years after they were purchased. I'm glad it's lasted as long as it did, but it picked the worst possible time to sputter out on me. I just don't have the money to fix it, and I'm fairly certain Microsoft won't. I guess my only option is to tinker with it and see if I can revive it myself.

The arcade units take hard-drives?

Yes, they're simply an Xbox 360 without the hard drive attached and they have a little onboard memory for game saves. The ones in stores now also a lot quieter than the early Xboxes and come with an HDMI port.

Edited by HammR25

The arcade units take hard-drives?

Yes, they're simply an Xbox 360 without the hard drive attached and they have a little onboard memory for game saves. The ones in stores now also a lot quieter than the early Xboxes and come with an HDMI port.

Thanks just wanted to be sure.

There is a way of fixing them, my computer teacher did plenty of that. I think he opened them up, took off the heatsyncs and ran them till they shutdown from over heating, I suppose it redos the solder.

Yeah, since it's out of warrenty, check your local Craigslist and game stores for any people who might offer to repair it for you. Even if it can't be repaired, some people will offer you some cash for it as they can use it for spare parts and what not. And that's a amazing run you had on your original unit! I've never heard of one lasting that long. :lol:

Idid put mine in a towel, in a bag, it had RROD and it actually worked, but only for half a day. Then did the same and it lasted an hour, then half etc. until it worked only 1 minute. Now I'm gonna buy one of those clamp kits.

But the towel trick works.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Xbox 360 running again... for the time being, at least. I ordered a repair kit online (which is actually just a handful of plastic and metal washers, eight thick screws, and a small amount of thermal paste) and it seems to have worked pretty well. Just to be sure, I also did the pennies trick on the system's four RAM chips, since my Xbox 360 was so old that Microsoft didn't even bother putting pads on the chips. Never hurts to have a little extra insurance, right?

Anyway, I had it turned on for two straight hours and it worked like a charm, just like it did before the crash. Now I have to return the system to its butt-ugly case, which could prove tricky because the pennies have made it harder to fit cables into their proper ports. The RF unit/power button was a BEAST to insert because of it... it took a solid two minutes to push the motherboard down far enough to make it fit. Bleech! What's really vexing about the system is that when the case is stripped off it's actually pretty compact; about the width of two Wiis and a bit taller. It makes me wonder why Microsoft hasn't come out with that much-rumored slimline model... they would have to do practically nothing to the existing design of the motherboard to fit it in a smaller case.

be glad you didn't get the E74 error. that RRoD repair kit would have fixed it anyway. but so far i haven't seen one that permanently fix the E74 or the RRoD (only temporary) once it has happened. The E71 error code is just a screwed up update or system software and sometimes can be reset.

I would fear putting the mobo into the oven and melting any plastic parts. glad to hear that you got it back up and running.

just for the curious

link to a list of error codes and possible fixes

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

and a link to the different versions of 360s

http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_Revisions