IGNORED

130xe b&w through s-video but color on RF

WIZZARD77

I just bought another 130xe and it only displays Black and white through s-video. I'm using a cable plugged into the monitor port and not a mod. It does display color through RF. This is a strange 130xe. When I go into self test mode to test the memory it does not test the expanded memory. I have tested it with xRAM from Satantronic and run 128k progs on it and it runs fine. Has anyone had any experience fixing the color problem or know why self-test is weird. The b&w display also does have faint vertical lines down the left of the screen. Thanks

Most XEs will only Self-Test 48K of the RAM, maximum. It was supposedly only some later ones that would test more than that.

Just curious, how can you tell how much RAM it's testing? What do the 'blocks' on screen represent? Mine shows a few rows of narrow blocks followed by four wide blocks.

On my other 130xe there are also 4 med sized blocks across the bottom for the expanded memory.

There are multiple revs of XE ROM out there, aren't there?

As far as the color goes, I guess the chroma line isn't connected to your monitor jack for some reason.

I've check continuity from all the pins on the video port to their traces on the board and all seem good. One thing I did notice is that there seems to be alot of flux near where the RF board connects to the back side of the board. Would one of the super video mods help or could somthing be dead on the board between the rf and the monitor port?

I've check continuity from all the pins on the video port to their traces on the board and all seem good. One thing I did notice is that there seems to be alot of flux near where the RF board connects to the back side of the board. Would one of the super video mods help or could somthing be dead on the board between the rf and the monitor port?

How have you connected the Svideo to the TV/Monitor and what else do you have connected to the TV? I had a something output to Svideo while having something else connected to the composite port and had a B/W output. Check the output of TV with nothing else connected except Svideo.

• 1 month later...

Its' the only thing plugged in. It works fine with my other 130xe.

did you get this all sorted out?

chrominance may be missing.

some times there is a switch or a person disables it entirely for hi res no artifact display. I never like the remove the whole circuit or box approach for that reason.

I would touch up the solder joints making sure to clean as well adjust the potentiometer and then verify nothing is missing or any traces cut/broken.

After that I might start checking the driver circuit (just a few transistors and caps) Taking care not to forget to clean the rf modulater channel switch while I was in there.

WIZZARD, have you checked the monitor cable? It kinda sounds to me like there's something wrong with your monitor cable as opposed to the 130XE itself.

He said it works fine with his other 130XE so more likely it's something else. He's supposed to be a Wizard so most likely he checked the cable.

I actually traded it to my brother for his 800xl because I,m getting the 320xl PBI ram upgrade. I did trace all the board traces with a meter and I had continuity, but I didn't check all the caps. I checked the resistors though and they were fine. My brother only uses RCA hookups and those work great so I don't think he's gonna put much time in it. I did upgrade the 800xl video circuit with the 'quick and easy upgrade' and it works great.