IGNORED

Starplex 5 button controller repair

Rob Mitchell

The fire button on my Starplex 5 button controller is getting stuck.. So I removed it and have attempted to clean it with both electroncis cleaner and WD40 for lubricant. I even harvested a spring from an Atari switch .. but this did not help. The button keeps getting stuck! It worked perfectly up until last week.

Does anyone have a broken Starplex 5 button controller?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Follow up:

I figured out how to take the switch apart.

Using a pair of needlenose pliars, I unscrewed both solder pins .. and that allows the bottom of the button to be removed. All parts can then be disassembled. Still the "slider" is getting stuck when pressed. After a good cleaning and spray with WD40 still getting stuck! I even stretched the spring to increase the spring constant .. no better. I'll try to make it work again tomorrow .. but I suspect that I am going to have to find a replacement button.

So this is FYI for those who have the cool Starplex Controller. The buttons do wear out! :(

What system have you been using the Starplex on, the 2600 or did you adapt it to the Vectrex?

I have adapters that allow me to connect them to the Vectrex, Bally Astrocade and O2. Of course they work with the 2600/7800 and 8-bit computers. Tonight I've been using the working Starplex on the Vectrex (Gravitrex and Moon Patrol).

I'm gonna have to find a replacement pushbutton for the broken Starplex .. I literally wore it out! Mouser and Digikey have a variety of pushbuttons .. Maybe one will fit .. :ponder:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have SUCCESS with fixing the broken pushbutton on my Starplex controller! :)

The problem was that when fully depressed, it would be stuck down. So after lubricating it .. no better. It would still bind. Why this happened is still not clear to me.

I've looked for a suitable replacement in several electronics catalogs .. No success.

So this evening, I took the button apart (again!) and attempted to open up the housing using pliars to spread it apart and allow the traveller to move easier. That did not work. So then I thought if I could just shave a small amount off the inside, that would allow for more clearance and the traveller would not bind. While attempting this, I broke off a section of the inside structure! Yikes! Oh well! Might as well put it back together and see if it might still work .. well it works like new! I'll reinstall it in the controller tomorrow and give it a bang .. with Vectrex Minestorm! :D

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the heads up, I bought three of those units while they are still available (2 without the woodgrain sticker). You might consider picking up one of those for spare parts.

As for the ones without stickers, I'm thinking a 'gameskin' like solution for at least one of them.

Lastly, can you post schematics for your various adapters? Mini projects are cool!

Hex.

[ Needs to make more genesis carts on a stick... :D ]