IGNORED

1040 STe

STE is easily picked (I got one the other day). Additional 2 joystick ports on the left-hand side, in an easily accessable position.

Left and Right RCA audio jacks on the back.

Aside from the label and bottom sticker, and the machine feeling slightly heavier, those are the major visual differences.

OK... just saw your edit with the link.

I'd "Ask seller a question". The pictures don't show enough. Pic of the back, or left hand side would confirm or deny what it actually is.

Edited by Rybags

There's a note I've just seen it the box is from a STf.

Bid early and bid high! ;)

No skimping out on an STE my retro friend.

edit

LOL maybe you can get this "North American STE priced" mono monitor for it too! :?:-o

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1704732299501?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170473229950&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

It might be time for my to put the 520ST(old) with external floppy on ebay!

A bit more than what I paid... landed my 4 meg 520STE for $80, although it didn't come with anything other than the computer - the mono monitor was part of the auction but I told him I didn't want it.

You got at a good price on yours, I've always wanted a STe so it was worth it to me. :cool:

Supposedly the STE isn't too fussy about the SIMMs - so long as it has them, apparently earlier ones had SIPPs soldered in.

Non-parity or parity, shouldn't matter as long as matched sets of the same size are used. Should be paired up, ie slots 1/3 and 2/4.

Minimum speed should be 120ns (or was it 90?) - but most you come across should be quicker than that. Should also be of the Fast Page type, not EDO, but I've never heard of 30 pin SIMMs coming with EDO anyway.

Supposedly the STE isn't too fussy about the SIMMs - so long as it has them, apparently earlier ones had SIPPs soldered in.

Non-parity or parity, shouldn't matter as long as matched sets of the same size are used. Should be paired up, ie slots 1/3 and 2/4.

Minimum speed should be 120ns (or was it 90?) - but most you come across should be quicker than that. Should also be of the Fast Page type, not EDO, but I've never heard of 30 pin SIMMs coming with EDO anyway.

Ok, it's been long time since I had to use 30 pin SIMM's are these what I need?

E-bay 4x 1MB 30pin SIMM RAM Memory IBM: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3703880289071?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370388028907&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Looks right.

First up, I'd check the machine to make sure it's got removable SIMMs. You have to take the shielding piece off that covers the PSU and most of the top half of the board.

Secondly... I wouldn't pay that much. Put a wanted ad here, chances are someone near you would have some - really you need not pay more than a buck or two per meg.

Looks right.

First up, I'd check the machine to make sure it's got removable SIMMs. You have to take the shielding piece off that covers the PSU and most of the top half of the board.

Secondly... I wouldn't pay that much. Put a wanted ad here, chances are someone near you would have some - really you need not pay more than a buck or two per meg.

Oh, OK So the STe isn't like a PC at all as far as using the SIMM's, I'll wait for the STe to get there! Thanks!

It is similar to PCs of that era re SIMMs. ie, they had to be installed in pairs and usually the motherboard only supported certain types.

The info I have said that the ST though can only use 256, 512 or 1024K ones, but 1 meg SIMMs were the most common anyway.

+1 do a SysInfo run first - people literally just chucked 30-pin SIMMs out for years, so there was no excuse really not to upgrade.

sinf502e.zip No idea if this is the latest version but it worked fine for me.

Edited by Rybags

Its kinda funny, mine also came with 4 megs installed when I purchased it here a while back. But it actually has 2 meg simms in it. 4 total.

Apparently they also work, but the machine will only recognize 1 megabyte of each simm. Sysinfo actually reported that each simm was 2 megs.

It is similar to PCs of that era re SIMMs. ie, they had to be installed in pairs and usually the motherboard only supported certain types.

The info I have said that the ST though can only use 256, 512 or 1024K ones, but 1 meg SIMMs were the most common anyway.

+1 do a SysInfo run first - people literally just chucked 30-pin SIMMs out for years, so there was no excuse really not to upgrade.

sinf502e.zip No idea if this is the latest version but it worked fine for me.

This is the better one, smaller and simpler:

520_d.jpg

http://www.retrosite.de/emulator/atarist/sysinfo.zip

Edited by tjlazer