IGNORED

MC014 eBay warning - Feedback manipulation

Zwackery

I haven't left feedback for anyone in over 3 weeks (not purchasing a lot via eBay right now), so I was surprised today to get this message from eBay:

Dear XXXXXX (xxxx@xx.xxx),

Your eBay account was recently involved in activity that violated our Feedback manipulation policy.

This recent account activity doesn't follow our guidelines.

Buyers aren't allowed to deliberately manipulate a seller's detailed seller ratings through a combination of repeat purchases and low detailed seller ratings (DSRs). Demonstrating a pattern of leaving positive Feedback with consistently low detailed seller ratings is also against our Feedback manipulation policy. You can learn more about the policy here:

http://pages.ebay.co...nipulation.html

You may have done this because the detailed seller ratings you left are accurate, but you're worried you may receive negative Feedback if you leave neutral or negative Feedback for your seller. We wanted to make sure you know that sellers can't leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This means you can give honest Feedback without worrying about getting negative or neutral Feedback in return.

Or, you might have done this because you think 1 is the highest (or best) detailed seller rating that you can leave for a seller. However, our detailed seller rating system is based on a 1 to 5-star scale. 5 stars is the highest (or best) rating, and 1 star is the lowest (or worst) rating.

It is important to eBay, the seller, and other buyers that buyers leave appropriate Feedback for sellers. There may be times when it is appropriate to leave positive Feedback and low detailed seller ratings. However, in most cases, the detailed seller ratings and Feedback rating should agree.

We encourage all buyers to leave honest and accurate Feedback after buying an item on eBay. We understand that you may have been unaware of this eBay policy, and we encourage you to take a few minutes to learn more about our policies:

http://pages.ebay.co...eedback-ov.html

Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

And I haven't had a repeat purchase since February. I've been giving nothing but positive feedbacks, sometimes 3 or 4 stars on one area or another, but mostly 5s.

WTF? Is eBay sucking even more now? Is that even possible?

It's amazing that they send you such an email, but don't offer you the contact info necessary to go back and ask what the heck is going on.

Actually right on point with Ebay, Every time I need something It is like pulling teeth to get answers. If you want to talk with someone, good luck finding a telephone number on the site. I had to google "telephone number Ebay" to find one. I use Ebay often, but man does it Suck!

I haven't left feedback for anyone in over 3 weeks (not purchasing a lot via eBay right now), so I was surprised today to get this message from eBay:

Dear XXXXXX (xxxx@xx.xxx),

Your eBay account was recently involved in activity that violated our Feedback manipulation policy.

This recent account activity doesn't follow our guidelines.

Buyers aren't allowed to deliberately manipulate a seller's detailed seller ratings through a combination of repeat purchases and low detailed seller ratings (DSRs). Demonstrating a pattern of leaving positive Feedback with consistently low detailed seller ratings is also against our Feedback manipulation policy. You can learn more about the policy here:

You may have done this because the detailed seller ratings you left are accurate, but you're worried you may receive negative Feedback if you leave neutral or negative Feedback for your seller. We wanted to make sure you know that sellers can't leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers. This means you can give honest Feedback without worrying about getting negative or neutral Feedback in return.

Or, you might have done this because you think 1 is the highest (or best) detailed seller rating that you can leave for a seller. However, our detailed seller rating system is based on a 1 to 5-star scale. 5 stars is the highest (or best) rating, and 1 star is the lowest (or worst) rating.

It is important to eBay, the seller, and other buyers that buyers leave appropriate Feedback for sellers. There may be times when it is appropriate to leave positive Feedback and low detailed seller ratings. However, in most cases, the detailed seller ratings and Feedback rating should agree.

We encourage all buyers to leave honest and accurate Feedback after buying an item on eBay. We understand that you may have been unaware of this eBay policy, and we encourage you to take a few minutes to learn more about our policies:

http://pages.ebay.co...eedback-ov.html

Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

And I haven't had a repeat purchase since February. I've been giving nothing but positive feedbacks, sometimes 3 or 4 stars on one area or another, but mostly 5s.

WTF? Is eBay sucking even more now? Is that even possible?

Check and see if that really was sent by ebay, by going to My ebay and checking messages. HHW

Ridiculous. I've left plenty of positives but lower ratings on things like seller communication or what I perceived as inflated shipping prices, etc. I don't think those things are conflicting at all, you can still leave a positive for the overall transaction and still be dissatisfied with some aspect of it. I think the lowest star I've given was a 3.

On another note, they really need a star rating for packaging. Some of those would get a 1 for sure.

When eBay gives me this message:

These detailed seller ratings are anonymous, so please feel free to leave honest ratings about your buying experience.

but then sends me the aforementioned email, which I asked customer service about, it does not please me as a customer.

When eBay gives me this message:

These detailed seller ratings are anonymous, so please feel free to leave honest ratings about your buying experience.

but then sends me the aforementioned email, which I asked customer service about, it does not please me as a customer.

No kidding. I thought the whole point of the star ratings was that they're anonymous. Leaving a positive with low ratings avoids unnecessary drama, I've done that a few times myself - and with truly low ratings, not just 3's. Besides the drama from immature sellers, I also don't necessarily want other sellers to know I gave "less than amazing" ratings to the last guy. If I get an email like that I'm going to be pissed.

I thought, perhaps foolishly, that eBay actually realized their feedback system is inflated, and came up with the anonymous star ratings to encourage more honesty. I guess they changed their mind. I swear eBay has a split personality disorder. They seem to change their mind about some aspect of their policies or marketing strategy every 6 months.

Edited by gdement

Over the weekend I get this bit of crap:

Dear Xxxxxx,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to the alert you received. I

understand your frustration regarding this matter and apologize for the

inconvenience it caused you.

Xxxxxx, when we receive a complaint about a seller or buyer who

potentially violated eBay policy, we investigate the complaint and take

appropriate action. The warning notice that you received was sent after

our investigation revealed that your account was in violation of the

Feedback Manipulation policy.

Feedback Manipulation occurs when Feedback has been artificially

inflated, falsely enhancing a member's reputation rather than providing

information on genuine buying and selling experiences. This is not

allowed. Taking actions that influence whether a member leaves or

withdraws Feedback, as well as taking actions that limit or attempt to

influence the type of Feedback left, are also not allowed.

Any future violations of eBay policies may result in a range of actions,

including removal of Feedback, listing cancellation, limits on account

privileges, account suspension, forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled

listings, and loss of PowerSeller status.

For complete information about the eBay Feedback Manipulation policy, go

to:

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ruby M.

eBay Customer Support

Needless to say, the survey I got inviting me to evaluate my satisfaction with the response was as poor as it could be.

I wrote them back and asked for specific examples for this baseless allegation.