IGNORED

Multiple machines (Xbox 360's)

cimerians

So anyone have more than one? (I know Moycon does..)

I finally got my 2nd machine for fear of losing my 1st to the RROD. Its the COD2 special edition with the 250GB drive.

Just wanna ask...

Do I:

- transfer the old unit to new the unit online.

- hookup the new unit and old unit with the transfer kit and transfer my stuff.

- Done?

I shouldnt have to call them right? Of course I'll jump offline and try the games out if they work offline.

Also a few more questions:

I can use the old machine in another room for multiplayer?

Downloaded games can only be played online with myself logged into live (on the old machine)?

Can you login more than once to xbox live on two different machines?

I've never used the transfer kit. My understanding is you can move all you stuff off the old drive onto a new one (except rented video's wont work) and it will all be tied to your new 360 and the old HD will be blank. (Could be wrong about that like I said I never used it)

Way I've done it is to go online and register your new 360 to your Xbox.com profile, then use the button to transfer all the licenses to the new console, you shouldn't have to call them if you haven't already done that in the last year, then boot the new console up and Push the center X button to pull up the blades and go all the way to the right to Account Management. Then choose Download History and start queuing up everything you want on your new system you have already purchased. Yes it will take a long time to do if you're like me and have a crap load of downloads, You can have 30 items in your queue though. Best to start up with a long file, and then fill the queue to 30 and leave. In the end you'll have everything you want on the new system, and tied to it so you should be able to access everything even off-line, the old 360 will still have all the content, most will only be accessible if you are signed into Live. (Stupid as shit I know)

I can use the old machine in another room for multiplayer? Yes

Downloaded games can only be played online with myself logged into live (on the old machine)? True otherwise they show up as demo.

Can you login more than once to xbox live on two different machines? Not with the same gamertag.

I've never used the transfer kit. My understanding is you can move all you stuff off the old drive onto a new one (except rented video's wont work) and it will all be tied to your new 360 and the old HD will be blank. (Could be wrong about that like I said I never used it)

Way I've done it is to go online and register your new 360 to your Xbox.com profile, then use the button to transfer all the licenses to the new console, you shouldn't have to call them if you haven't already done that in the last year, then boot the new console up and Push the center X button to pull up the blades and go all the way to the right to Account Management. Then choose Download History and start queuing up everything you want on your new system you have already purchased. Yes it will take a long time to do if you're like me and have a crap load of downloads, You can have 30 items in your queue though. Best to start up with a long file, and then fill the queue to 30 and leave. In the end you'll have everything you want on the new system, and tied to it so you should be able to access everything even off-line, the old 360 will still have all the content, most will only be accessible if you are signed into Live. (Stupid as shit I know)

I can use the old machine in another room for multiplayer? Yes

Downloaded games can only be played online with myself logged into live (on the old machine)? True otherwise they show up as demo.

Can you login more than once to xbox live on two different machines? Not with the same gamertag.

Thanks a bunch, I'm going to do it the way you have without the xfer kit. I don't mind downloading everything again, I just want to keep my stuff on the old drive. I have a feeling it does blow it away, I did it once before when my original unit first RedRinged, I can't rember though.

Since I can't login on two machines at the same time (sucks) I may have to purchase a few games again for my family so we can play online. Uno etc...

Its a bit frustrating but oh well, I got my shiny new machine.

I've bought about eight 360's (mostly as gifts for nephews and nieces) and currently own four, two of which were free prizes.

Personally I don't even register the 360's on xbox.com. I simply pop on the hard drive on whatever 360 I happen to be using. Works fine. :)

But yeah you're out of luck as far as being able to play downloaded games on more than one box.

Since I can't login on two machines at the same time (sucks) I may have to purchase a few games again for my family so we can play online. Uno etc...

Its a bit frustrating but oh well, I got my shiny new machine.

Hmmm I think i see what you are saying. Not sure in that case buying the game again is necessary.

Uno is a mostly online only game isn't it? Do you need a Gold account to play it online once it's purchased? That I am not sure about. My girlfriend and I each have our own Gamertag and Gold accounts. You might just have to get a separate "Family" gamertag and Gold account to play online like that. In any case, if you don't need a Gold account to play Uno, then just have the family member play on the new machine the games licenses are tied to (Uno will show up as the Full version) and you can log into Live on the old 360. (Since you're logged in, it'll be the Full version as well)

So anyone have more than one? (I know Moycon does..)

I finally got my 2nd machine for fear of losing my 1st to the RROD. Its the COD2 special edition with the 250GB drive.

Just wanna ask...

Do I:

- transfer the old unit to new the unit online.

- hookup the new unit and old unit with the transfer kit and transfer my stuff.

- Done?

I shouldnt have to call them right? Of course I'll jump offline and try the games out if they work offline.

I can use the old machine in another room for multiplayer?

Downloaded games can only be played online with myself logged into live (on the old machine)?

Can you login more than once to xbox live on two different machines?

For your first question, we *just* built this web page to help out. LMK what you think:

www.xbox.com/transfer

I also am planning to add this content to the solution channel (from the My Xbox menu) of the dashboard so you can see it when you sign into Live.

Hmmm I think i see what you are saying. Not sure in that case buying the game again is necessary.

Uno is a mostly online only game isn't it? Do you need a Gold account to play it online once it's purchased? That I am not sure about. My girlfriend and I each have our own Gamertag and Gold accounts. You might just have to get a separate "Family" gamertag and Gold account to play online like that. In any case, if you don't need a Gold account to play Uno, then just have the family member play on the new machine the games licenses are tied to (Uno will show up as the Full version) and you can log into the old 360. (Since you're logged in, it'll be the Full version as well)

Cimerians/Moycon........buying the game (Uno) again will be unnecessary. You can play Uno with a different gamertag (suchas your girlfriends) on the old machine and you can play with your gamertag (that was the gamertag account that purchased the game) on the new machine. Both accounts will have to be Gold to play online though.

My advice, if you plan on keeping both units active, is to continue buying all of the online content (games and such) with the same gamertag and from the original unit. You can then have your girlfriend/family use their gamertags for that content on that machine (the original machine) and the other unit will require your gamertag (connected to Live) to access that content. This is assuming that the secondary unit is somewhere like your bedroom where you will be the primary user. If in the future the original unit dies you can transfer all of the licenses associated with that unit (which would be all of your online content) to a new unit or your secondary unit. This also assumes that you have a stable and reliable internet connection because your gamertag will have to connect to XBox Live when you play any of the purchased content on your secondary unit.

I feel like I was rambling a bit, but I hope I helped you in some manner.

El

Edited by Elw00d

You can play Uno with a different gamertag (suchas your girlfriends) on the old machine

No, Won't work that way. If he has transferred the license to the new 360 (like he said he was going to) the game will only appear as the demo on the old machine unless he is logged in to Live on the old machine with the gamertag that bought the game.

I've had 5 Xbox 360's so I've tested this very thoroughly. The game will only be available to other gamertags on the console the license is tied to. His family members won't be able to play it on the old machine.

I agreed with you though buying the game (Uno) again will be unnecessary and stated why in the last post. :)

All great suggestions, thanks. These were questions I've wondered about for a while.

I'ts nice to know I can sign into my old 360 and play UNO while another person is signed on with their own tag on the new machine (with all the licenses) and play together. Of course we both need gold accounts.

Haven't done anything yet, I need to get an HDMI cable today and hook it up. This will be my primary machine since the old one doesn't have HDMI and its been loud as hell lately.

Done. Downloading......

100 more to go.......

:P

It IS a pain to do that. When my XBox 360 was stolen last year, the HD went with it. So when I got a new unit, I had to download all my stuff again. At the time (last October) I probaly had about 200 things on XBox Live I had bought. Set it up for max, left, came back a while later, loaded it up again....just went down the list. Took about eight hours to download everything again.

I've been thinking of getting another box, just cause mine is almost to it's 3 year mark, and I figure at 3 years and one day, it'll blow it's brains out :P Ugg. I useually have good luck with systems though, even notoriously unreliable ones, so I dont' know if it'll be a prob. But having a backup would be nice.

Out of all that, the only thing I know, is that you can use your second system to play link games (or I guess even online stuff, but it'll need a new ID to do that) We often have lan parties around here, so multiple systems could be handy for me.

I've been thinking of getting another box

I might be willing to sell you a 60GB if you would be interested.

I would for sure make you a deal.

I have my eye on the Final Fantasy 360 but can't possibly justify a forth 360 ;)

Let me know.

(This offer is open to anyone that is thinking of buying a second 360 just PM me.)

Cripes...I'm glad I got this second machine. Its so much quieter and its less hot. I noticed the wattage on the brick is less.

Strangely the new controllers feel a lot lighter and the d-pad is much better (wider maybe?)

Anyone know the exact changes thats been made to the current 360 model(s)?

PM sent

Cripes...I'm glad I got this second machine. Its so much quieter and its less hot. I noticed the wattage on the brick is less.

Strangely the new controllers feel a lot lighter and the d-pad is much better (wider maybe?)

Anyone know the exact changes thats been made to the current 360 model(s)?

Yeah, tha't sweird about the bricks. I've seen some in fleamarkets (guess people burned up their system and scrapped them for parts) but they got several different ratings. Mine's still old enough it's got the higher voltage rating, my friend has the lower rating. Ugg... at least have all the external parts interchangable on a system :P (imagine if you needed different video cords, or controller/charger cords depending on your model, that would suck)

As for the controller, don't know, maybe it's wired vs wireless? Haven't heard of different Dpads, but maybe it's just firmer, or looser carbon buttons inside it?

Edited by Video