IGNORED

We need a new all in one atari book

Seeming as though all the well known atari texts (books) i.e Dr Re, Atari roots, atari basic, Compute's/Twaugs mapping atari etc are now out of date (and becoming harder to obtain) and since no new atari text or book has been released in donkey's years leads me to bring up this subject

WE NEED A NEW 'ALL IN ONE' ATARI TEXT/BOOK, i.e combining both a memory map, programming considerations and examples and also insights into new developments and also programming considerations regarding the various and all software based hardware tricks (aimed at all levels of programming proficiencies) including concepts, and ideas behind these software baseed hardware tricks and also how to use these techniques in various programing languages, like c or assembler etc as well as programming considerations/examples etc for the various and all hardware developments that have come about since 1992, i.e VBXE, Myide (and similar hard drive/cd drive or I/O intefaces), L.E.M, Dual Pokey, 65816 upgrades, sio2xx, MIO/blackbox (and similar) and anything else i haven't thought of

It would be nice to have this within the confines of a book (perhaps split into 2 or 3 volumes, like twaugs mapping the atari) at least all this info would be in one central location so you wouldn't have to refer to external sources or books for that info and even better, it would be in English or your prefered language)

I think that cramming all of that even into a few volumes would be ambitious, unless you are OK with very thick tomes. The hardware guide I wrote and posted on my website is 114 8.5x11" pages, and that just covers the hardware itself -- not how to take advantage of the hardware for productive purposes, not how to drive it from assembly or BASIC, not how to use the kernel or DOS, not how add-ons work. I didn't even really cover the 6502.

Also, I'd say that trying to cover multiple programming languages would just make it unreadable. Just take a look at the Microsoft .NET Framework documentation for an example, as nearly every page there is cluttered with the same examples written five times in different languages.

I really am fond of the DE RE Atari and Mapping the Atari copies which are on the internet.

i would have achieved much more when I had had the DE Re Atari book back in the day. Really.

However, i welcome you in the year 2010. We have web 2.0 and are slowly going to web 3.11 ;)

So forget about about the books and lets do a wiki. Really.

For once, i am not afraid of writing some pages of technical text. Its just that everyone can add soem bits if someone starts a Wikipage, but it would be harder to edit a whole book.

If someone starts a Wiki (well, if there isn't already one) i am with you and try to contribute the parts I have knowledge and experience of.

But I can assure you, i would never say f.e.: "I can write a chapter about ANTIC all of my own". Purely, because I haven't tried everything i could have tried.

I've pondered this topic many times, Carmel...

I, unfortunately, have too much on my plate to attempt such an ambitious project. Once my agenda is clear, and if no one has begun the crafting of such a needed tome, then I would gladly make an attempt. I would also require consultation from some of the more experienced gurus of the Atari world to while undertaking this project, though, if I was to do it.

Edited by dwhyte