IGNORED

Apparently crappy casual games are ok so long as they have HD graffixx

Rev

Natal is upon us and with E3 coming up expect a ton more crappy casual game announced.such as this one: River Rush.....which by the way looks like a modern day update of white water. :P

Look at this forum where all the 360 fanboys are googoo gaagaa about this game.it makes me sick because they are most likely the same ones that hate on the wii. go figure.

look in the discuss section: My link

Edited by revolutionika

Here is an example:

Looks AWESOME...

River rafting...great concept. I'm sure it'll be part of a great outdoors type of game play package...

The graphics look very sharp at this point...I know M$ is pushing the Unreal engine for development purposes...More 720p 60 FPS incoming...Many Arcade titles would work great with Natal...ilomilo anyone...M$ just getting started...the reports tonight will be insane...

Casual games are taking over everything. Why else would people be taking the Iphone/Ipad as serious gaming platforms? More and more people are getting into gaming, and most of those people prefer games like Farmville.

If Nolan Bushnell revamped the graphics on all the 2600 games and released them single-serving on the Iphone for 10 bucks a pop, Atari would make a comeback tomorrow.

Edited by HuckleCat

Casual games are taking over everything. Why else would people be taking the Iphone/Ipad as serious gaming platforms? More and more people are getting into gaming, and most of those people prefer games like Farmville.

If Nolan Bushnell revamped the graphics on all the 2600 games and released them single-serving on the Iphone for 10 bucks a pop, Atari would make a comeback tomorrow.

I'm not sure I like the fact that Farmville was just compared to the games I grew up with on the Atari.

I'm not sure I like the fact that Farmville was just compared to the games I grew up with on the Atari.

I dont like the idea either, how DARE he even insinuate that.

I was comparing them more to casual gaming, but, yeah, I see what I did there. Oops.

But seriously, with the one button gameplay, they're perfect for the iphone gaming crowd. Like I said, redo the graphics, and rename "Haunted House" to, say, "Haunted House from that movie Twilight", then BAM - million seller. With the new name and newer look, they're sure to be "hip with the kids".

Pele's Soccer - "David Beckham Soccer"

Stampede - "Red Dead Redemption for Mobiles"

Yars Revenge - Umm.. hell, "Americasn Idol for Mobiles" why not...

Kaboom! - "24: The Game for Mobiles"

See what I mean?

Like I said, redo the graphics, and rename "Haunted House" to, say, "Haunted House from that movie Twilight", then BAM - million seller.
God, that game would be horrendous if it weren't for the fact that it's the same thing as Haunted House except with amorous vampires and werewolves plastered on. But then again, preppies wouldn't like Atari gameplay, would they? Too tough for them to master, I bet.

I just looked up casual game at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game

If I'm reading that correctly, casual games are "typically distinguished by their simple rules and lack of commitment." Those stupid Farm games on Facebook must not be casual games then because they require a long-term commitment. You have to come back a certain number of hours later or your crops will die. People will set their alarm clocks and lose sleep just to harvest their crops. Why would anyone think that was fun?

Simple rules, lack of commitment, and being able to play in short bursts do not describe those farm 'games' but they do describe a lot of classic Atari games.

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 1

I would describe Farmville, those pocket pet things from a few years back, and similar games as "maintenance/chore simulators". It's busy work when you have nothing real to maintain in the real world (like a house, car, garden, etc.). There's no real reward. If they have points they would be completely meaningless since there's no ending. I see Farmville cards at places like Best Buy and wonder what kind of fools would spend money on such inanity. I'm sure Zynga (or whoever makes that crap) are laughing all the way to the bank. I can't wait for the class action lawsuit from all the people that get carpal tunnel syndrome just from playing Farmville. Not since Diablo have I seen a game require so much clicking.

Maybe I'll program a car maintenance game and see how many suckers I can rope in. :P "Ooh, it's time to change my oil and check the pressure in my spare!" "My engine's making a ticking noise. Time to adjust those valves!"

I already got a Wii, but the absolute controllerless nature of the Natal really appeals to me. But then, I did say it was just a glorified Itoy, and I liked that to (well, some of the games anyways) I don't expect it to be a blip on the radar compared to the Wii though.

As for casual games, yeah, their everywhere, and they suck, so are crappy games, so are sports games, so are FPS, so are.......

I just looked up casual game at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game

If I'm reading that correctly, casual games are "typically distinguished by their simple rules and lack of commitment." Those stupid Farm games on Facebook must not be casual games then because they require a long-term commitment. You have to come back a certain number of hours later or your crops will die. People will set their alarm clocks and lose sleep just to harvest their crops. Why would anyone think that was fun?

Simple rules, lack of commitment, and being able to play in short bursts do not describe those farm 'games' but they do describe a lot of classic Atari games.

I couldn't agree with you more. This whole "casual" and "hardcore" bullshit needs to stop. Games are games.

i don't know where this idea that in order to draw in new gamers, you need to give them intelligence insulting "baby" games came from. as a lad, while i started on atari, i cut my teeth on metal gear, contra, life force, castlevania, etc.

just for balance here's what games will use sony's move-

killzone 3-

socom 4-

the fight-

gran turismo 5-

http://www.pushsquare.com/15346/gran-turismo-5-le-mans-footage-sneaks-onto-youtube/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+pushsquare+(PushSquare.com)

sports champions-(it even detects pulling an arrow from a quiver behind your back!)

say what you will about sony or nintendo, they don't sh*t on their fanbase. microsoft completely betrayed what brought people to the xbox brand in the first place. you appeal to the core gamer first, others will follow. the wii didn't markedly and cynically target grandma from the get go the way the kinect is.

Edited by xg4bx

And Move Party, Brunswick Pro Bowling, TV Superstars (The fight and Sports Champions are just fancy HD versions of Wii games)...dressed up HD "baby" games.

There's already been talk of a Star Wars game and a Forza game. I realize you like to bash MS, but maybe you should just wait and see what's available for it. For all you know the next Halo and GOW games will be Kinect compatible. Just because they don't have YouTube video's yet why would you doubt they are coming?

That said. My guess is they'll mostly suck. The Wii has shown us only very specific games benefit much from motion controls, but I'll wait and see to pass judgment I guess. I'll try a demo of it when they hit stores. No way am I dropping $150 for either Kinect or Move unseen.

And Move Party, Brunswick Pro Bowling, TV Superstars (The fight and Sports Champions are just HD versions of Wii games)...dressed up HD "baby" games.

There's already been talk of a Star Wars game and a Forza game. I realize you like to bash MS, but maybe you should just wait and see what's available for it. For all you know the next Halo and GOW games will be Kinect compatible. Just because they don't have YouTube video's yet is no reason to doubt they are coming. That said. My guess is they'll mostly suck. (Yes including your beloved Sony games) The Wii has shown us only very specific games benefit much from motion controls.

ironically heres the star wars game lol

please tell me how long you think you can wave your arms around before you get a muscle cramp. me, maybe 5 minutes.

the fact is that to have any meaningful type of gameplay you simply need a controller input. how can i realistically play something like a shooter without a controller input?

those are the questions microsoft should have been answering instead of trying to pawn off eyetoy rejects on grandma. i'm not insulted by the product, i'm insulted by the betrayal of the xbox fanbase.

i saw the kinect launch line-ip, there's 3 dance games and 3 exercise games. the average xbox fan wants shooters, this product isn't made for them.

microsofts e3 conference was an embarrassment, they spent 90% of it talking about kinect and they tossed the "hardcore" a bone by dragging out the tired corpses of gears and halo. they didn't show crackdown and they didn't show fable (which is kinect compatible btw). why is that? oh yea, grandma is the 360's new audience now.

this isn't even fanboyism, this is anger. why wouldn't i support sony, they actually have games. in the past 2 weeks i've seen little big planet, infamous, killzone, socom, motorstorm, with the last guardian and twisted metal still to be shown, AS WELL AS the move. i'd have to be stupid not to support a company who still wants MY business as well as giving me enough games to choke a horse.

ms showed quite clearly that my business isn't welcomed anymore. i'm not sitting and twiddling my fingers hoping that hypothetical technology produces games i might want to play when sony has them now.

i'm also not a big fan of peripheral control only games ala what's been shown for kinect. and for the record the move has been reported to work very well with a game like socom, one press guy said it was more responsive and accurate than the dualshock. (which can also be used) it's not just the wii that can do motion control right.

Edited by xg4bx

Yes, betrayal. After all, yesterday MS canceled Crackdown 2, Gears of War 3, Fable 3, Metal Gear Raiden, and the next Splinter Cell. If you're trying to not come off like a playstation fanboy, you failed miserably.

Seriously, the main reason Microsoft and Sony are even in the video game business is to make money, not to make you and me happy. Both MS and Sony see the Wii printing money for Nintendo, and both want a piece of that. Think what you want, Nintendo did target soccer moms and the elderly, otherwise they would have games like Gears of War and Killzone. Wii Fit sure was not made for the FPS or RPG fan. They want Oprah and Dr. Phil to endorse their console, so soccer moms will go out in hoards and spend spend spend, just like they did with the Wii. This is about more money without having to make a new console, for both companies.

When I first saw the TV-remote motion controllers for the Wii, I thought to myself "wow, here's the end of Nintendo". I was wrong. You're doing the same thing with the Kinect. Personally, this time I'll wait to try it before I decide it's a failure. Despite this, I still feel any motion controller used with a FPS is a bad idea, but hey, since "some guy" said the move was better than a sixaxis controller, it must be true. Right?

ironically heres the star wars game lol

Right I've seen it. Your point?

That's the type of games motion control works at. Simplified games with simplified controls. See how the Jedi moves forward? That's because you can't free roam accurately with this technology. How would you?

This just doesn't work so good with games like Killzone 3 and Socom 4 (Or Halo and COD for that matter) if they've (Sony) sold you on their lame camera for those types of game, you're probably going to be really pissed later when you play them. (I know you'd never get pissed at Sony)

Like I said I have no doubt that MS plans on incorporating their motion controller in some of these types of games just like Sony plans on doing.

I'll totally try it out on both systems, but I'd be really surprised if it works as well as a standard controller for many games. Still..I'm certainly not going to bitch about a product that's not even on the market.

Face it, your post was simply an attempt to bash MS. Nothing more. MS hasn't shit on anyone. So they didn't show you every game that's going to be released for the Kinetic when it launched 6 months from now. Big deal. They showcase games this things going to work well with. I think your anger manifests because you're pissed you don't have a 360 and you lash out. I'm selling one right now in the Marketplace, time to get over that anger.

I hope this thing is a bigger failure than the HD-DVD addon. That way MS can get back to focusing on what people bought the 360 for. This motion gaming fad sucks. I am glad the HD-DVD drive was made because I use mine all the time... that will be different with this. Not only do I not intend to purchase it I will avoid it at all costs. I plan to refuse to purchase any game that supports it even if only minimally. If we are lucky Kinect will be analogous to Virtual Boy. Both are stupid and both deserve to fail.

Yeah, they are just jumping on the boat to try to get dough like Nintendo is apparently doing. The thing is, addon's have NEVER succeeded. Just look at all the shit for things like the Genesis. Something like the Eyetoy had a mild bit of success, probalby up there with the DDR pad or the GH guitars, because it was relatively cheap, and used for quiet a few games... This thing? It's more than three times the cost of those other things, that'll loose sales, itrequires the 360 (which isn't cheap) that'll loose sales, and developers are in no way required to use it, so they will mostly just make games for the 360 and ignore this thing, and that will loose sales. Over all, your looking at one dead ass peripheral. I hope it does good, I plan to buy one, as not the primary controller of the console, it will actually have a good chance of having good games without nearly the crap flow the Wii has. That's the other problem, Microsoft, and Sony haven't actually considered the sheer ammount of shit for the Wii, that simply doesn't sell, it sits in the sub $10 bin and sits there, loosing stores money, not making Nintendo money, and probably putting startup game makers out of business (though if they release crap, the deserve it IMO )

I'm interested, I'd buy one, and See what games are good, but I expect fully it will be dead within a year of launch.

moycon,im only here to bash the 360 too.

Yeah I know but you're like 15, what else you got to do with your time? Too hot to go outside.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope it works, actually.

Mainly because my wife and daughter are already freaking out about the pet cat game, and I don't want to feel like I'm wasting money come x-mas.

Well, for a lot less, you can REALLY surprise them, and get them a kitten for christmass or something :P