IGNORED

C64 Multicolour Char Mode

Emkay for first post was a troll and you know it.

would you like me to quote it?

in a technical question thread that was strictly about c64 multicolor char mode you somehow managed to get in snipes at:

processor speed

SID chip sound

Atari designers and marketing.

not bad considering his question was simply "how many colours are available to a c64 in multicolour character set mode"

you are trying to goad people into a versus thread you know it and so do the people familiar with your methods.

Steve

• Like 3

Some of you should forget about the Atari 8-bit machines and start programming for the Jaguar instead. Given your preferred mode of discourse, I think you'd fit in better with the people in that community (if "community" is the right word for it).

• Like 1

Interesting, it is always the same person saying emkay is a troll.

Just repeat this for a million times, then everyone will believe this is the truth ;)

By the way, the points emkay presented are true. If C64 was 4mhz etc... then we could say it is the better machine overall. In reality this is not the case. This is simply the truth. Possibly it is a sad truth for C64-believers. Maybe it is partially off-topic, but it is no trolling, and the tone of this discussion was already set when Jose started calling things 'sad' when comparing A8 to C64 features.

However, you are cordially invited to come back on the AA forum if some other chance of bashing with emkay occurs.

/sigh

No offense, but the hostility on this board never really started until... well... those of us that have been here a while know.

But, I have one question in regards to this thread: why is a C64 specific question being asked on an Atari forum? I can't help but feel that "Jose" is nothing more than a throwaway account being used to keep the flame war going.

Interesting, it is always the same person saying emkay is a troll.

Just repeat this for a million times, then everyone will believe this is the truth ;)

By the way, the points emkay presented are true. If C64 was 4mhz etc... then we could say it is the better machine overall. In reality this is not the case. This is simply the truth. Possibly it is a sad truth for C64-believers. Maybe it is partially off-topic, but it is no trolling, and the tone of this discussion was already set when Jose started calling things 'sad' when comparing A8 to C64 features.

However, you are cordially invited to come back on the AA forum if some other chance of bashing with emkay occurs.

Sorry, did i misread an earlier post?

did ANYONE prior to emkays first troll burst say anything about "better" or "faster" or indeed any other comparison other than a question from someone trying to get their heads around the similarities and differences between c64 and a8 character colour modes?

NO THEY DIDN'T!

that post was nothing more than an attempt as usual to drag a specific thread question to an OT "versus" thread. well we wont play.

and to be perfectly honest anyone suggesting that Jose who is one of the most rabid pro active A8 fans on this board is a closet 64 fanboy needs counselling.

oh and he probably asked it here because he knows that several of us can answer it with clarity (as indeed you will note several people did)

Steve

• Like 3

By the way, the points emkay presented are true.

emkay said "instead of making a superior machine for the 80s, they chosed a less than 1Mhz processor, where other used 4MHz and more already" - ignoring the "superior machine" jibe, that's at best a half truth because nothing with a 6502 in it was going at 4MHz in 1981 when the C64 was being designed - Z80-based machines were going at 4MHz yes, but most of us should understand why those speeds are not directly comparable to the C64 or indeed any other 6502-based hardware.

He went on to say "SID is also a 16 Bit Sound device, but limited to 3.5Khz for making good music with dull sounding" and, apart from the latter bit being opinion rather than any kind of truth as such, it has absolutely no bearing on anything said previously in a thread about graphics hardware.

But, I have one question in regards to this thread: why is a C64 specific question being asked on an Atari forum? I can't help but feel that "Jose" is nothing more than a throwaway account being used to keep the flame war going.

If that were so, he's put a massive amount of time and effort into managing a throw-away account. i'd guess that he asked here because A) the target for what he's doing is the Atari 8-bit and B) he knows there are people here who can answer the questions (although that number seems to be decreasing each time a thread goes off piste like this) so no need to go elsewhere.

• Like 2

/sigh

No offense, but the hostility on this board never really started until... well... those of us that have been here a while know.

Yeah, you can have your own thoughts.

But if I want to have all this vs. thing going on why will I put so many questions?

I have 25years of A8.

The only thing I want is having the Games released on A8... do you ever feel what was all your friends with ZXs. (C64 was almost don-t exist in Portugal those days) having all Arcade conversions, Films, lots of new Games...

That's what turn me into an A8 constant finder... But those were the Days without Internet.

Did you know how it was living with so many Games announced and nothing.

I crossed Englang asking for Last Ninja A8 (that is why I am crazy about it... and I still believe that something exists, even if it is just some uggly Screens, and some probably things that it exists...)

Where are

DARK FUSION

JACKAL

FANTASY SOFTWARE'S POD, ELECTROFLUX, 21st ...STREET

STRIKE FORCE HARRIER

FLASH GORDON

PLAYER MANAGER (from ANCO)

HI/TEC'S advertised HONG KONG PHOEY, ATOM ANT, TOP CAT,...

REAL GHOSTBUSTERS (any one here ever known that it was supose that it were in the macking the A8 version by VIRGIN MASTERTRONIC)

Many more I can't remember right now, but if any of you want I can tell just what I know about them (of course just some "Press talkings", Advertisings, Rumours,...)

Why don't some A8 lovers, like me, that live in England, U.S.A., Poland,... don't start trying to find this Games.

With so many obscure things on A8, probably some Sherlock Holmes jog would be needed. Why we don't have a real GTW A8 like GTW64 (Game that weren't C64)?

I spent all my first Year's Job Salary on n Inter-Rail with A8 as the first reason.

1 week in England/ SUNARO, MILES BETTER SOFTWARE, PAGE 6, ATARI WORLD, Majour stores,...

Just on that time I spent something like 800Euros these days.

I spent thousands in importing from ANG, MICRO-DISCOUNT, PAGE6, a French Atari Club (can't remember the name...),...

I spent and always at Stores to see all-formats Computer Magazines and Books.

I started very early into some BASIC things. Learning BASIC from many different Machines (by the way, anyone remembers the Name of that Deutschland all/formats game Type/in large magazine?). What I don't had was people here in Portugal.

Atariksi says to start doing new things and that suits better into A8 technical archievements, but that I would left for you there (PM 1,5, all Demos,...). And it-s because as I said several times I-m not an Artist nor a Designer,...

You may think that is why I start ripping C64 and other ones gfxs. Probably yes, but mostly because what I want is to get this unreleased Games on A8.

Probably it also seems a little "vs." try.

It answer "YES" if you see that I want to get the Screens better than others look.

Also "YES" because I want the best on my lovely A8.

But "NO" because what I really want is to learn and try to do my bests to get new & unreleased things on A8.

I cannot say all I'm doing, but I am ALWAYS DOING SOMETHING!

Some here know what I am talking ;) .

some here knows that I am waiting for their answers and job done.

Hope you'll see my Name in the near future on A8 things, because

THE THINGS ARE ALWAYS GOING ON!

Greetings.

Jos]e pereira.

• Like 1

emkay said "instead of making a superior machine for the 80s, they chosed a less than 1Mhz processor, where other used 4MHz and more already" - ignoring the "superior machine" jibe, that's at best a half truth because nothing with a 6502 in it was going at 4MHz in 1981 when the C64 was being designed - Z80-based machines were going at 4MHz yes, but most of us should understand why those speeds are not directly comparable to the C64 or indeed any other 6502-based hardware.

But the 6510 in the C64 had no problem to run at 2mhz instead....OK, you win, that's half of 4mhz, so a half-truth ;)

To laugh about C64 capabilities on an Atari forum is not trolling.

Posting things like this is trolling according to Chickybaby's post.

But the 6510 in the C64 had no problem to run at 2mhz instead....OK, you win, that's half of 4mhz, so a half-truth ;)

So emkay pulling that 4MHz figure out of thin air (note that i'm being polite here!) was obviously just trolling - glad you agree. =-)

Edited by TMR

Where are

DARK FUSION

Hang on... Dark Fusion? Really...?! i've always thought that was average at best on everything and the difficulty is geared wrong for the boss battles, which version were you playing to want it converted?

I don't care who was the first to troll - anyone that follows is just as guilty. I also said to please not point fingers or continue arguments as well. If individual members have problems take it to PMs and work it out there or put the person on ignore - that's why the feature is there. So, please drop the bickering - this thread will be locked and/or posts gone. Last warning. Thanks.

* After a second look - Thread also moved to proper forum. Please post threads in relevant areas. Thanks. *

I don't care who was the first to troll - anyone that follows is just as guilty. I also said to please not point fingers or continue arguments as well. If individual members have problems take it to PMs and work it out there or put the person on ignore - that's why the feature is there. So, please drop the bickering - this thread will be locked and/or posts gone. Last warning. Thanks.

* After a second look - Thread also moved to proper forum. Please post threads in relevant areas. Thanks. *

I don't know where this thread was posted before, and I guess the trolling wouldn't have occured if it hadn't been in the wrong place to begin with.

But, well, this is pretty "heavy stuff" for the Classic Computing board, maybe while you're at it you should've moved it all the way to the Programming board?

I don't know where this thread was posted before, and I guess the trolling wouldn't have occured if it hadn't been in the wrong place to begin with.

But, well, this is pretty "heavy stuff" for the Classic Computing board, maybe while you're at it you should've moved it all the way to the Programming board?

It was originally in the Atari 8-Bit Computer forum, which at the moment seems to be suffering from a mild case of Jaguar disease. I'm sure it will make a full recovery soon.

• Like 1

I promise not to upset you, but just saw this in an A8Book.

(nothing to do with C64 by now...)

I am without a real computer all the Day :thumbsdown: , just an "only Web acess" one, any of you here could "key" this on an Emulator and just post here the Screen:

20 POKE 106,PEEK(106)-4

30 CB=PEEK(106)

40 GRAPHICS 0

50 CHRSET=CB*256

60 DIM CT(16)

70 FOR I=0 TO 15:CT(I)=17*I:NEXT I

90 FOR I=0 TO 15

100 FOR J=0 TO 7

110 POKE CHRSET+I*8+J,CT(I)

120 NEXT J:NEXT I

141 SCREEN=PEEK(88)+PEEK(89)*256

150 FOR I=0 TO 15:POKE SCREEN+I,I:NEXT I

160 POKE 756,CB

170 POKE 623,192

180 POKE 712,8

190 GOTO 190

Sorry to upset you with this and one more time.

If any can it will be :thumbsup:

Thanks.

José Pereira.

Hi José,

What book did you get that code from? I'd like to read up on it.

Thanks!

Don

It was originally in the Atari 8-Bit Computer forum, which at the moment seems to be suffering from a mild case of Jaguar disease. I'm sure it will make a full recovery soon.

Yes, reading through the Atari 8 forum, always the same two 'trolling' (STE and TMR, both from British Petrol country) when someone's mentioning C64 there. C64 always belongs in the 'Classic Computing' section.

Edited by high voltage

Yes, reading through the Atari 8 forum, always the same two 'trolling' (STE and TMR, both from British Petrol country) when someone's mentioning C64 there. C64 always belongs in the 'Classic Computing' section.

STE and TMR are hardly trolls by any stretch of the definition. It takes more than just disagreeing with your opinion to make one a troll.

While I agree that this particular thread belongs in the Classic Computing forum, other threads that include both Atari and Commodore computers are just fine in the Atari 8 bit forum.

• Like 4

The fact they are English has F all to do with anything and bringing BP into it is even worse. This is not the P&R forum and that a very biggoted thing to say.

• Like 8

If anywhere a thread like this should be in one of the Dev sections as José is attempting to port at least the graphical content from C64 games to the Atari. This is 1/2 the problem when clueless people jump into a thread, ruin it by making it off topic or presuming (and blaming José for stirring up trouble, even going as far as claiming he was a throw away account for the trolls to post with) that he's saying the C64 is better than the A8.

All STE did was point out that emkay was trolling by posting remarks he knows damn well will annoy anyone OTHER than avid A8 fans. You don't even need to prefer the C64 to see what he was up to. It's like a script, someone posts something trolly, someone else points it out, in come the defenders and blame the person who pointed out the troll, turn it personal or go beyond what is necessary and it turns into another argument.

And yes, really no need to bring where people live into it or BP, or would you like to tell us where you're from and we can make assumptions about you based on the atrocities your country is responsible for?

Pete

• Like 4

I am the Wicked Ukrainian Green Eyed Witch of the East and obviously moving this thread and posting a warning wasn't enough. So I am sending it to Lockville where it can live out it's days in peace and not worry about any future Ignorance Spills cause the cleanup can be a real Bitch.

Thanks. :D

• Like 1