IGNORED

E3

XBL and PSN.

They had some Sega guys walking around in t-shirts that said "Look who's back" on the front with a DC swirl, and on the back it said, "Dreamcast - September 2010" with the logo.

Haha.. I guess this is the start of official Dreamcast ports to modern systems, something that was talked about here earlier this week, I think.

Edited by Austin

XBL and PSN.

They had some Sega guys walking around in t-shirts that said "Look who's back" on the front with a DC swirl, and on the back it said, "Dreamcast - September 2010" with the logo.

Haha.. I guess this is the start of official Dreamcast ports to modern systems, something that was talked about here earlier this week, I think.

I know it's kinda sad, but even though I probably have all the Dreamcast games they'll release, and I have a VGA adapter, I'll probably be buying most of these games haha. At the very least, cleaned up textures, online play, and true HD is going to be quite nice! Now if only they'd start doing this with Saturn games... I think I'd have a heart attack :D

XBL and PSN.

I know it's kinda sad, but even though I probably have all the Dreamcast games they'll release, and I have a VGA adapter, I'll probably be buying most of these games haha. At the very least, cleaned up textures, online play, and true HD is going to be quite nice! Now if only they'd start doing this with Saturn games... I think I'd have a heart attack :D

Who said anything about true HD? They looked almost the same as on a VGA, with only a little fixes here and there.

XBL and PSN.

Who said anything about true HD? They looked almost the same as on a VGA, with only a little fixes here and there.

I did. Does VGA do widescreen? No, but they are making all games widescreen. Does VGA do sound through the same device? No. Are the downloadable DC games going to look as blurry (textures) as the originals? No, they already said they were bumping up the texture resolution.

That's what I meant by true HD. VGA is nice and all, but it has it's drawbacks.

XBL and PSN.

I did. Does VGA do widescreen? No, but they are making all games widescreen. Does VGA do sound through the same device? No. Are the downloadable DC games going to look as blurry (textures) as the originals? No, they already said they were bumping up the texture resolution.

That's not "true HD." They're not in 1080p or anything.

XBL and PSN.

That's not "true HD." They're not in 1080p or anything.

Ugh, call it what you want, you know what I mean. It's not the same as VGA, that's all I'm saying.

Another thing that really impressed me was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53rFDk1-BDQ

I've always said that these crappy "Simon" music-genre games should be more like instruments and actually teach kids a skill. Because being good at Guitar Hero is just about the most pathetic thing ever. I had this conversation at some length with some dude at Comicon, and he ended up crying. I am stoked to see this game being made. And the guitar is a real freaking guitar. How cool is that?

What amazes me is that they finally made a real guitar game, but biffed it when it came to the drums. Drums would be much easier to do, though perhaps more expensive, considering that you're just hitting things. The the game uses air drums, which as a drummer, I can tell you that it's a complete joke. A rudimentary "pad" kit that's properly configured can be made on the very cheap. An actual electric kit could be sold to those willing to pay, and a trigger system could be sold to those who already have kits. I would so buy a game and spend money on new tracks if it used actual music and I didn't have to do a hack to get triggers set up in my real drums and tie it into the game.

Finally, I don't know if this is a feature in the game, but I'd really like to see some actual tablature and sheet music along with the colorful queues as an option. Since we're finally going to teach people how to play music, the least we can do is teach them how to read it as well.

I've always said that these crappy "Simon" music-genre games should be more like instruments and actually teach kids a skill.

I've got a bunch of these games and don't think they are crappy at all. I've heard I think Rock Band is eventually coming out with a game that teaches you to play guitar for real. If they do come out with one where the focus is on actually learning to play a guitar, I'd probably skip it. A lot of people, myself included play these games to have fun, not learn to play an instrument. I think it's great that it will be available for folks that want to learn, but I suspect most people who play these games know the difference between pretend and real-life and are just fine with it. I think that someone wanting to play the guitar for real would just...you know, go get guitar lessons. Not like local real guitar players aren't a dime a dozen.

I've always said that these crappy "Simon" music-genre games should be more like instruments and actually teach kids a skill. Because being good at Guitar Hero is just about the most pathetic thing ever.

Personally I think the Music games are much less "Simon" and much more "Kaboom". They're twitch games and you have to CATCH the falling objects. There's no twitch reflex in Simon. Yes you can memorize the notes in a song, but that's only after playing it repeatedly, and there's still some reflex required especially in the fast difficulties.

And yes I agree with Moycon, the problem with most peoples criticism of Guitar Hero and similar games is they're getting mixed up between playing videogames and playing an instrument. Guitar Hero is a video game. The plastic guitar is a video game controller. Put it this way: Do you get also get annoyed that people playing Street Fighter IV can't actually fight in real life either? :)

But yeah I do think the real guitar integration is nifty. But I don't think it's all that necessary. It's fine to just keep it as a video GAME. ;)

Edited by NE146

Thanks to a massive upsurge in reto gaming popularity, its a year (for retro gamres) to be excited about games!

Wii:

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Golden Eye 007

3DS:

The 3DS in generally took me by surprise. The first I heard of it, I was very skepticle, but after seeing it and learning its potential, I think it may just be the next system I buy.

The idea of watching a 3D movie without paying thousands for the tv, glasses and 3d blue ray player sits well with me, and seeing N64 games return with updated textures and higher polygon count.. plus in 3D sit REALY well with me.

Also, the fact that there will also be classic games re-released in 3D (SMB series and Megaman for example) is pretty exciting.

360:

Fable III

Edited by jeremysart