IGNORED

7800 Retro Inspection In Retro Gamer Issue 78

The_Laird

I wish Retro Gamer was in the stores around here

Here in chicago fry's electronics is now stocking Retro Gamer and Games magazine both from the UK.

Also..

If you check online for the retro gamer magazine shop which is www.imagineshop.co.uk you can buy two dvd sets which have many issues of retro gamer.

It was the first ever port of Galaga to a home console and I don't think its a bad port of the game.

Well, there are certainly games that are far worse than 7800 Galaga. But, with a title like that you'd think they would've taken the ball and ran with it especially with it being the first console to release it.

My biggest complaint of Galaga is the timing (or pace of the game). It is totally off. The graphics are OK but that is not as important as game play.

Off topic a bit here, but in the youtube video, the narrator calls it the "Atari seven thousand eight hundred"...

Is it just because I'm a lazy American :-) that I have always called it the "Atari seventy-eight hundred"???

I mean, is that regional or just him? or ?

Back on topic; great to see that article. I'll have to try and dig up a copy.

...and Galaga on the 7800 is one of my favorites as well...

desiv

Seventy Eight Hundred...

No one ever calls it the seven thousand, eight hundred just as the fifty two hundred was never called the five thousand, two hundred or the twenty six hundred was never called the two thousand six hundred.

I was discussing this with somebody recently and I (and everyone I know) has always call it the seven eight hundred

• Like 1

Here in chicago fry's electronics is now stocking Retro Gamer and Games magazine both from the UK.

They have Fry's in Chicago now? When I lived near there CDW was opening huge stores like that, but I didn't see a Fry's until moving to CA. Did they put CDW out of the retail business, or are they fighting it out?

Seventy Eight Hundred...

No one ever calls it the seven thousand, eight hundred just as the fifty two hundred was never called the five thousand, two hundred or the twenty six hundred was never called the two thousand six hundred.

We do call it that in Germany. :) Atari Siebentausend-Achthundert, Zweitausend-Sechshundert, Fünftausend-Zweihundert... while it is theoretically possible to call it like "Achtundsiebzig-Hundert", it would sound kind of strange, it is not very commonly used here, save for numbers below 2000.

As it happens, the 7800 got a little 4-page feature in Germany in the July-issue of M! Games as well. It has little text and is mostly pictures, and the overall tone is rather negative, with the outcome that the system is only interesting if you are into the real, pre-NES age arcade-oldies. Fair enough I think, that´s the department where the 7800 shines, sadly these games are too retro even for me. :(

The 10 top-titles for the 7800 listed in the mag are Ms. Pac-Man, Xenophobe, Asteroids, Dig Dug, Midnight Mutants, Centipide, Food Fight, Galaga, Xevious and Joust.

If you have any Barnes and Noble locations within driving distance, they sell them.

Sadly no - none in Canada, I don't believe. I've been meaning to go to Maine anyway.

FYI, until last year, I always bought Retro Gamer at any Chapters (at least in the Ottawa, Ontario region), are there any on the east coast?

Last December though, I bought a subscription; turns out to come to less than half price and I get the magazine about 1 month BEFORE the Chapters does. You can find subscription info at the Retrogamer homepage.