IGNORED

CAR to .ATR, .XEX?

w1k

Hello, can i convert cartridge file CAR to binary? how?

Draw a circle with some chalk, made the ash of a birch tree, preferably on a marble surface. Then surround that circle with yet another ring of rock-salt. From there you need to scribe the Rune of Power, the Fuji, in a concentric pattern starting from the center of the chalk circle. Kneel in the lotus position inside the circle, and focus your being on the summoning.

Cry out three times in a very loud, very commanding voice: "FANDAL, FANDAL, FANDAL". And if the mighty one deems you worthy, he will respond with gifts of binaries... and cake.

• Like 1

Draw a circle with some chalk, made the ash of a birch tree, preferably on a marble surface. Then surround that circle with yet another ring of rock-salt. From there you need to scribe the Rune of Power, the Fuji, in a concentric pattern starting from the center of the chalk circle. Kneel in the lotus position inside the circle, and focus your being on the summoning.

Cry out three times in a very loud, very commanding voice: "FANDAL, FANDAL, FANDAL". And if the mighty one deems you worthy, he will respond with gifts of binaries... and cake.

Sorry, but this sounds as if you consider Fandal to be God. He isn't. Ivanova is God. But Fandal's a close second, admittedly.

BTW, as all dumps of Brøderbund's Seafox on the internet seem faulty (pressing and holding the fire button does release triple vertical torpedoes instead of a single horizontal one): is there a recommendable program to correctly dump this cart to a file?

Thorsten

Sorry, but this sounds as if you consider Fandal to be God. He isn't. Ivanova is God. But Fandal's a close second, admittedly.

BTW, as all dumps of Brøderbund's Seafox on the internet seem faulty (pressing and holding the fire button does release triple vertical torpedoes instead of a single horizontal one): is there a recommendable program to correctly dump this cart to a file?

Thorsten

It was merely my attempt at some humour. Nothing more...

BTW, as all dumps of Brøderbund's Seafox on the internet seem faulty (pressing and holding the fire button does release triple vertical torpedoes instead of a single horizontal one):

The Atarimania cartridge dump is OK - however it works only on Atari 400/800.

It depends on the cardridge. Normal ROMs are very easy to convert, you can even do it in an hex editor. If the card uses bank-switching, it becomes complex, but can be done most of the time. Its there anything special you want to convert? You can just PM me.

Edited by peter.dell

BTW, as all dumps of Brøderbund's Seafox on the internet seem faulty (pressing and holding the fire button does release triple vertical torpedoes instead of a single horizontal one):

The Atarimania cartridge dump is OK - however it works only on Atari 400/800.

OK, I stand corrected then, I apparently forgot to check that version. The versions on Fandal's site, Homesoft, Vjetnam, etc. are faulty, though, the error as described.

Thorsten

It depends on the cardridge. Normal ROMs are very easy to convert, you can even do it in an hex editor. If the card uses bank-switching, it becomes complex, but can be done most of the time. Its there anything special you want to convert? You can just PM me.

pm send, thank you :)

Thorsten

You have a very cheap definition of God. I would say one who is cause of all causes, full of all opulences (not just A8 knowledge), and not dependent on anyone else for anything (didn't acquire the knowledge from other's help but on his own and not affected by laws of the world like aging). So neither people mentioned would fit into that definition.

Regarding CARs->ATRs/XEXs, there was some hardware blank cartridge that let you upload ROMs directly without conversion and run them on the real machine.

Hahaha - definitely worth a rep point!

:thumbsup:

I'm quite rusty, so below may need some knowledge to see what is happening and make it work.

Is a 8K CAR file?

Put the CAR file on a DOS 2/2.5/MyDOS atr.

Use Disk Wizard II to look at the file

Look at the last 6 bytes of the file.

The last byte is $BFFF.

$BFFA,B has the run address for the cart LO, HI order.

Make a .com file that moves screen memory and Display list

under $A000 ($9000 if 16K cart)

Use ASMEDitor to make .OBJ file

Like so:

10 CIOV=$E456

20 IOCB=$350

30 RAMTOP=$6A

32 *=$600

40 LDA #$0C

50 STA IOCB+2

52 LDX #$10

60 JSR CIOV

70 LDA #$9F

80 STA RAMTOP

0110 LDA #03

0120 STA IOCB+2

0130 L1

0140 LDA EDITOR

0150 LDA L1+1

0160 STA IOCB+4

0170 LDA L1+2

0180 STA IOCB+5

0190 LDA #$08

0200 STA IOCB+$0A

0210 LDX #$10

0220 JSR CIOV

0230 LDA #$0C

0240 STA IOCB+2

0250 LDX #$10

0260 JSR CIOV

0262 LDA #$79

0264 STA $6A

0270 RTS

0280 EDITOR

0290 .BYTE "E:",155

0310 *=$2E2

0320 .BYTE 0,6

0330 .END

Now append your CAR file to load at $A000

at the end of the DL mover.

Then append *=$2E0 (run address you got from $BFFA)

You can append stuff using BASIC on the file like so:

10 CLOSE #1

20 CLOSE #2

30 OPEN #1,4,0,"D:FILE1.OBJ"

40 OPEN #2,8,0,"D:OUTPUT.COM"

50 FOR N=1 TO NUMBER BYTES TO WRITE

60 GET #1,X

70 PUT #2,X

80 NEXT N

90 CLOSE #1

92 REM APPEND $A000,$BFFF (LO HI,LO HI)

100 OPEN #1,4,0,"D:CARFILE"

110 FOR N=1 TO NUMBER BYTES IN CAR FILE

120 GET #1,X

130 PUT #2,X

140 NEXT N

142 REM append $2E0 and RUN address

150 PUT #2,224:PUT #2,0:PUT #2,LO FROM $BFFA

160 PUT #2,BYTE FROM $BFFB

170 CLOSE #1:CLOSE #2

Now you have a .EXE.

Some revision may be necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never found the need to re-open E: when doing a cart loader - only ones that would need it are language carts.

But, all this is well and good, but doesn't address the self-destruct code that most cartridge games have hidden inside... the real challenge is defeating that. But, luckily most if not all have been cracked a long time ago, although a lot of ROM images you'll find are uncracked copies.

Also, if the CAR file is for use with emulator, (of course it is), it may (probably) has protection

code, that checks for RAM, which would have to be defeated to work as a .EXE file.

I've never found the need to re-open E: when doing a cart loader - only ones that would need it are language carts.

But, all this is well and good, but doesn't address the self-destruct code that most cartridge games have hidden inside... the real challenge is defeating that. But, luckily most if not all have been cracked a long time ago, although a lot of ROM images you'll find are uncracked copies.

You're trying to load a binary file, so Atari has screen memory and DL up at $Bxxx. You have to move

that down before you can load the .exe.

Hi there,

w1k was talking about an OS ROM, not about a game cardridge.

http://atariarea.krap.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7879

Here was my reply for those who might be interested:

OK, this is an OS ROM, not a cardridge ROM and I was assuming that you talk about cardridge ROMs. While there is a way to load the ROM image under the RAM, it hardly makes sense because it will get disabled when you press RESET. Again some vectors might be changed to improve this but...

For these reason I have exchanged the the ROM in my BiBoMon with a 2x16k static RAM and an battery for buffering. This way I can load up to 2 alternative OS and they with the RAM to read-only mode. See the attached image.

post-17404-127815628568_thumb.jpg

I'm quite rusty, so below may need some knowledge to see what is happening and make it work.

Is a 8K CAR file?

Put the CAR file on a DOS 2/2.5/MyDOS atr.

Use Disk Wizard II to look at the file

Look at the last 6 bytes of the file.

The last byte is $BFFF.

$BFFA,B has the run address for the cart LO, HI order.

Make a .com file that moves screen memory and Display list

under $A000 ($9000 if 16K cart)

Use ASMEDitor to make .OBJ file

Like so:

10 CIOV=$E456

20 IOCB=$350

30 RAMTOP=$6A

32 *=$600

40 LDA #$0C

50 STA IOCB+2

52 LDX #$10

60 JSR CIOV

70 LDA #$9F

80 STA RAMTOP

0110 LDA #03

0120 STA IOCB+2

0130 L1

0140 LDA EDITOR

0150 LDA L1+1

0160 STA IOCB+4

0170 LDA L1+2

0180 STA IOCB+5

0190 LDA #$08

0200 STA IOCB+$0A

0210 LDX #$10

0220 JSR CIOV

0230 LDA #$0C

0240 STA IOCB+2

0250 LDX #$10

0260 JSR CIOV

0262 LDA #$79

0264 STA $6A

0270 RTS

0280 EDITOR

0290 .BYTE "E:",155

0310 *=$2E2

0320 .BYTE 0,6

0330 .END

Now append your CAR file to load at $A000

at the end of the DL mover.

Then append *=$2E0 (run address you got from $BFFA)

You can append stuff using BASIC on the file like so:

10 CLOSE #1

20 CLOSE #2

30 OPEN #1,4,0,"D:FILE1.OBJ"

40 OPEN #2,8,0,"D:OUTPUT.COM"

50 FOR N=1 TO NUMBER BYTES TO WRITE

60 GET #1,X

70 PUT #2,X

80 NEXT N

90 CLOSE #1

92 REM APPEND $A000,$BFFF (LO HI,LO HI)

100 OPEN #1,4,0,"D:CARFILE"

110 FOR N=1 TO NUMBER BYTES IN CAR FILE

120 GET #1,X

130 PUT #2,X

140 NEXT N

142 REM append $2E0 and RUN address

150 PUT #2,224:PUT #2,0:PUT #2,LO FROM $BFFA

160 PUT #2,BYTE FROM $BFFB

170 CLOSE #1:CLOSE #2

Now you have a .EXE.

Some revision may be necessary.

This all fine and dandy for running the resultant XEX from a language ROM in an emulator, but what about DOS vectors for getting it to run from DOS?

Edited by dwhyte
  • Confused 1

snip

This all fine and dandy for running the resultant XEX from a language ROM in an emulator, but what about DOS vectors for getting it to run from DOS?

I don't understand your question. The resultant XEX would run fine from DOS, with BASIC disabled.

The appended $2E0 (224,2) points DOS to where to RUN at.

• Thanks 1