IGNORED

Puzzlequest 2

cimerians

Reviews sometimes are worthless to me but this game is getting a few good ones so far. I think it's out tomorrow.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1100546p1.html

I'll be picking this up. The first one was pretty hard but I beat it. (Took forever). This one is entirely underground in a Dungeon.

One of the features I'm looking forward to is exploring the dungeon and using items you carry with you. Quoted in the review:

"A major new addition in Puzzle Quest 2 is the ability to equip weapons, armor, and items and then use them in battle. Gauntlets on the puzzlefield can be matched to build up action points, which can then be spent to use your equipped items. This mechanic provides new ways to attack, defend yourself, and heal your wounds during a battle. It's a very cool, very welcome addition to Puzzle Quest."

I'll be getting this. :)

Ditto. Getting this for sure.

Can't wait! I'm thinking it should be available in a few hours!! I feel sorry for DS owners. Paying twice as much for the same game (and without HD!) I really didn't recall having an issue with the first game. Although, like most RPGs, I tend to grind and power level my characters!!

Played it last night, I tried a Barbarian (they do tons of damage) and a Sorcerer which may have potentially great combos.

In my opinion better than the first cause your exploring a town, dungeon etc almost like a role-playing game. The only thing is that it can be quite slow moving around from place to place. Doesnt matter cause its great fun. A handy feature I found while in the dungeon is to click the RB button on the controller which brings up a full map and your quest destinations..handy.

I played the hell out of it yesterday as well.

I'm a Sorcerer, although my weapon, not my spells is what has been helping me dominate the game so far.

I chose the poison dagger early on and crafted it up to it's highest level which does +6 damage for like 8 turns.

Even when an enemy blocks stuff, they still get hit with that +6

I like this game! I have a feeling I'll be playing it till I get 200/200. :D

I played the hell out of it yesterday as well.

I'm a Sorcerer, although my weapon, not my spells is what has been helping me dominate the game so far.

I chose the poison dagger early on and crafted it up to it's highest level which does +6 damage for like 8 turns.

Even when an enemy blocks stuff, they still get hit with that +6

I like this game! I have a feeling I'll be playing it till I get 200/200. :D

Wow thats cool, I'm playing more of my Barbarian than the Sorcerer, I have a Bastard Sword that does 6 damage and he tends to block very well. I haven't crafted anything up yet but I can't wait!

I know, I see I'll be playing this game for loooong time and for many hours. :D

Let me know how your doing or any cool items you make or get!

I'll do the same. :P

I will say I think crafting is a key to staying ahead of the game. Not just your weapon either. Things like amulets can be upgraded as well. For instance I had an amulet that added +2 to my agility. Upgraded one time and it then gave me +4 to agility. I found myself having to battle creatures over and over (and over) dying badly each time before I discovered the upgrades. After that I made mincemeat out of that same creature.

Also quick tip, if you go to loot a treasure and you're off to a bad start, or about done and don't hardly have any loot, simply hit start, choose exit game, and immediately go loot it again. You can try as many times as you want.

Thanks for the tips....I'm currently around level 30 on the "3rd level" of the dungeon, I dont want to spoil anything but its getting a little crazy. The poison dagger I maxed out and it needs a little help with another weapon cause the creatures are getting tough.

I currently have the poison dagger and a (one handed) witchblade that gives a bonus to crit., I also have armor and a helmet that gives a bonus to crit so my total is 25%. The witchblade does about 30 damage and if I do a backswing before I use the witchblade (gives 50% extra damage to a weapon) and if I land a crit I can do about 90 points of damage. To top it off I then poison the monster for 8 turns. :P

I played the game for 5 hours this morning.

How's it going moycon?

I played the game for 5 hours this morning.

How's it going moycon?

Still chugging away. I think I'm pretty much where you are. I'm level 30 also. sounds like your main weapon is more powerful than mine. I'm really having trouble leveling up my stuff lately. Seems like the things I want to level need crystals, but I haven't come across crystals in awhile.

Seems like the things I want to level need crystals, but I haven't come across crystals in awhile.

I know I can't find any either. I did get some through loot but its very rare. There are no guides yet to this game so I have no idea where to get them. My armor and helmet need crystals. I also notice a lot of things need metal but you can find metal a lot.

After playing for hours and only getting one crystal I think i figured out how to get some. Instead of choosing Quest, Choose Quick Battle, I fought a Manticore and when I beat him I got 2 crystals!! Woot! I also fought a Vampire Mist, but it didn't give any. I wonder what other creatures gives crystals when you beat them, or was getting those 2 just a fluke? I'm going to try and fight more creatures over and over on Quick Battle and see if certain ones drop crystals.

After playing for hours and only getting one crystal I think i figured out how to get some. Instead of choosing Quest, Choose Quick Battle, I fought a Manticore and when I beat him I got 2 crystals!! Woot! I also fought a Vampire Mist, but it didn't give any. I wonder what other creatures gives crystals when you beat them, or was getting those 2 just a fluke? I'm going to try and fight more creatures over and over on Quick Battle and see if certain ones drop crystals.

What?! Finally! Too bad it's random right? I'll have to try it later.

What?! Finally! Too bad it's random right? I'll have to try it later.

Well I went and fought a Manticore again (You can cycle through the monsters using the bumpers) This time I beat him and got 3 crystals then again and got 1 crystal!! I think I'm on to something.

I also fought an Imp and got a Ruby, certain monsters may drop certain items and the number they drop might be determined by how quickly you dispatch them? (Not confirmed) It might just be random.

Awesome, I have been collecting crystals and other stuff by doing the mini battles. Thats great you found that! An even better game now.

I tried the DS version too and its not that bad. They did a really nice job with it. They re-arranged stuff so it fits on the screens and there is no lack of quality other than what you get with the nice Xboxlive HD picture (and a large screen).

To anyone who needs it, here's an unfinished list of item drops I've gathered from myself and from a few others:

Emerald: Undead creatures

Amber: Goblins

Pearl: Orcs

Ruby: Daemons, Dark Orc, Imp

Sapphire: Dark elves

Crystal: chimaera creatures like minotaurs, gelatinous cubes, etc.

Metal: Brek, Kathar

Fangs: Polar Bears, yeti, Brek

Hellforged (Strength/Red) adds to weapon critical

Ancient (Agility/Yellow) adds to defense

Glyphic (Intelligence/Blue) adds to spell resistance

Runic (Stamina/Green) adds to shield critical

Draconic (Morale/Purple) adds to damage protection

Daemonic (All) adds to skull damage

Awesome info cimerians!!!

We might have to start an unofficial strategy guide, although I'm getting the impression you and I are the only two enjoying this game!!?!

Ha! I know, I love the hell out of it. Some people like the world map thing and the harder difficulty of the first one. Others prefer this one just like me.... I love the improvements and the overall "adventure" style of this one. It just has a lot more to it than just fighting and moving around an overworld map. I dont mind "easier" either, the first one was impossible for some people especially if you didn't put your stats in the right place. Also trying to forge an item was brutal. This game allows you to change all that. It's just so much better, although the battles do get repetitve (just like the first game)....I don't want to leave anything alive. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be playing til it comes to the PC platform unfortunately.... :(

Someone asked a dev at the Infinite Interactive forums about PC and PS3 versions. The dev said,"Sorry guys, no other platforms have been announced yet. Whether or not Puzzle Quest 2 appears on other platforms is up to D3Publisher."

I won't be playing til it comes to the PC platform unfortunately.... :(

Someone asked a dev at the Infinite Interactive forums about PC and PS3 versions. The dev said,"Sorry guys, no other platforms have been announced yet. Whether or not Puzzle Quest 2 appears on other platforms is up to D3Publisher."

Thanks for your insight....