IGNORED

Should Pepsi Invaders should be a 10 or a P?

MattG/Snyper2099

After much thought, shouldn't Pepsi Invaders be a 10 in rarity? I mean look at Atlantis II; that's a 10. Isn't it safe to say that the differences between Atlantis and Atlantis II are the same as the differences between Space Invaders and Pepsi Invaders? With the Xante, Beagle Brothers, and ECPC carts all on the 'official 10' list, isn't it an injustice to not include Pepsi Invaders on the list? Just my 'two cents'.

MattG.

After much thought, shouldn't Pepsi Invaders be a 10 in rarity?  I mean look at Atlantis II; that's a 10.  Isn't it safe to say that the differences between Atlantis and Atlantis II are the same as the differences between Space Invaders and Pepsi Invaders?  With the Xante, Beagle Brothers, and ECPC carts all on the 'official 10' list, isn't it an injustice to not include Pepsi Invaders on the list?  Just my 'two cents'.

MattG.

This is all a bit of a gray area. Atlantis II was given to a limited number of consumers as part of a contest. Pepsi Invaders was given as a premium to executives and other employees. The others you mentioned were all availabe for purchase in limited quantities. So, Pepsi Invaders was the only one that was impossible to get by consumers.

I would agree that it isn't a prototype. Should there be another category for premiums, or should Pepsi Invaders just be listed with all the other carts?

What do the rest of you think?

Tempest,

I do own a lab loaner version of this game but do not know if it's exactly the same as the released, er.. I mean, employee version :-)  Does anyone know if all the carts given to employees were labeless?

MattG.

Would you mind posting a picture, I don't mind at all if it is heavily watermarked either, I thought I had the only lab-loaner of this internal hack ?

Cheers

-R

Has anyone ever really confirmed the total amount that was handed out ? I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago with the programmer but I am not sure if he really knew how many were actually manufactured. I think the rumour is 150 copies I believe (which would definately be a 10).

Don't quote me on that though, I could be wrong.

This is all a bit of a gray area. Atlantis II was given to a limited number of consumers as part of a contest. Pepsi Invaders was given as a premium to executives and other employees. The others you mentioned were all availabe for purchase in limited quantities. So, Pepsi Invaders was the only one that was impossible to get by consumers.

I would agree that it isn't a prototype. Should there be another category for premiums, or should Pepsi Invaders just be listed with all the other carts?

What do the rest of you think?

I think Pepsi Invaders deserves to be on the list as much as the Xante carts do. Either both or none, I'd say. After all just as few people actually lived in geographical proximity to acquire those carts as there are executives who saved and passed on the Pepsi Invaders they had.

My opinion is that this should remain in the database as a 10. It's not really a prototype, not because it was made with normal ROM chips, but that it was distributed as a "Finished" product, even if it wasn't made available to consumers. The people given this game weren't told, "Here, test this and tell us what you think!" They were given a game to play and enjoy. :)

..Al

My opinion is that this should remain in the database as a 10.  It's not really a prototype, not because it was made with normal ROM chips, but that it was distributed as a "Finished" product, even if it wasn't made available to consumers.  The people given this game weren't told, "Here, test this and tell us what you think!"  They were given a game to play and enjoy.  :)

..Al

Huh ? Remain ?

Huh ? Remain ?

Whoops, my bad, I actually thought Pepsi Invaders was already a 10 in our database. I misread the first post, thinking Matt was asking if it should be listed as a Prototype, not a 10. And thinking that it was already listed as a 10 is why I said it should remain that way. :)

..Al

Two more lab loaners huh? Mine makes (at least) three then... I also have the 'official' cart, still looking for that cool white boxx though  :)

Cheers,

Marco

PS: oh, IMO, it's most definitely a 10  :)

i have one that brings it to a total of 4!

i agree a 10! 100% :)

Take Care

Rick

Huh ? Remain ?

Whoops, my bad, I actually thought Pepsi Invaders was already a 10 in our database. I misread the first post, thinking Matt was asking if it should be listed as a Prototype, not a 10. And thinking that it was already listed as a 10 is why I said it should remain that way. :)

..Al

Which just goes back to what I said all along - it SHOULD be a 10, not a prototype. Your thoughts seem to confirm this. :D

Are you sure the games handed out to employees were completely labelless? My aunt worked for Coca-Cola (now retired) and had a copy of this game. I was quite young at the time, but I could've sworn it had a Coca-Cola insignia on it.

BTW, she gave all of her carts and system to the Salvation Army sometime in the late 90s (I asked her about it when I started collecting games again). Someone somewhere out there probably made the find of the century at the time.

I agree that the game should be a 10 and not a prototype. Games like Tooth Protectors and chase the chuckwagon were never technically released for sale either. My question is why Off Your Rocker is considered a prototype? It did have a very limited release to the public.

• 3 weeks later...