IGNORED

Should I get a Commodore 128?

fred

I just bought a boxed Coleco Adam on Craigslist. The guy also has a boxed Commodore 128 with floppy drives and a monitor all boxed. He also has programs and games on floppy disk. He hasn't tested the stuff in years and wants to get rid of it and would give me a good price.

Is it worth getting? I'm more of a video game guy but I would hate to see the stuff thrown away. It is a lot of equipment and the Adam I bought is big enough. Any thoughts?

I just bought a boxed Coleco Adam on Craigslist. The guy also has a boxed Commodore 128 with floppy drives and a monitor all boxed. He also has programs and games on floppy disk. He hasn't tested the stuff in years and wants to get rid of it and would give me a good price.

Is it worth getting? I'm more of a video game guy but I would hate to see the stuff thrown away. It is a lot of equipment and the Adam I bought is big enough. Any thoughts?

It really depends on what you want to use the system for.

There's some utilities and programs that are either just for the C128 or are enhanced on it, using the extra power that the system has. If you plan to use any of this stuff or program on the system, it's defentily worthwhile.

If you want to use it for gaming, there's only a handfull of games that require C128 mode.

Having said that, it's defentily worth picking up if you can get it for a good price. (I'm not sure what a 'good price' is, I'll leave that for others.) If the monitor is a official Commodore one, those things are in high demand and very usefull for a lot of things. I imagine the drives are 1571's -- not bad drives, better then the original 1541's, at least. :)

My personal favorite Commodore -- the one I had as a kid -- was the C128D. Very nice system, with a detachable keyboard, a speedy internal 1581 drive, and room for the monitor to sit on top of the unit. Some people have complained about PSU issues, but I never had one during the 10 years I owned and used it.

The Commodore 128 is really just a enhanced Commodore 64, and the C64 is one of the best gaming computers out there. :D

Finally, if you don't want it yourself to use, I'm sure the parts and games would make great trade bait!

The Commodore 128 is really just a enhanced Commodore 64, and the C64 is one of the best gaming computers out there. :D

This just about sums it up. If you already have a C64, it's iffy. There aren't many C128 specific games, but the keyboard and disc drives are a lot nicer to use. If you don't have a C64, get it. Lots of great 8-bit classics. You'll want to invest in some DSDD discs and an X1541 device of some sort to dump disk images.

You're not from Omaha are you? There's been guy with a boxed ADAM and C128 on CL here for a month. I was never able to get a hold of the guy, but good score if you did. Can I ask what you paid?

If you get a C128, you'll be typing "go64" thousands of times ;)

Honestly, there is not much of a reason to own one if you have a C64. Like was said earlier, there was very few programs actually designed for 128 mode. I always felt they could have done a whole lot more with it, but unfortunately they did not. At the height of my vintage computer collecting, I had one but it was basically for nostalgia. My friend had one and I always wanted that model as it just looked so cool. I ended up upgrading from the brown box to a cream colored newer 64C back then (my old brown system was getting old..too much use) only because Toys R US stopped carrying the C128.

So, for nostalgia and aesthetic appeal, maybe yes. For function, just stick with the C64 (or 64C)

If you get a C128, you'll be typing "go64" thousands of times ;)

Or just powering up with the Commodore key held down... =-)

So, for nostalgia and aesthetic appeal, maybe yes. For function, just stick with the C64 (or 64C)

Unless you're wanting to do something that involves a lot of typing (text adventures, programming or whatever), because the C128 keyboard is lovely to work with.

If you could get a C64, I'd rather get one of those. The 128 has some game compatability issues where some do not work even in C64 mode.

Those are pretty rare to the point we're talking about less than 0.1% of all C64 games. The problem is with the 2MHz mode being turned on accidentally (a lesson to all programmers, if a register is marked "for future expansion" don't write any old crap into it! =-) and the cracked versions of the games on teh interwebs are more often than not repaired so it isn't an issue - the only ones i can think of off the top of my head were Hawkeye by Thalamus (repaired in almost every crack) and Dalek Attack by Admiral (only fixed in some if memory serves).

There are a few games that deliberately enable 2MHz from C64 mode, most of Andrew Braybrook's games from Alleykat onwards beef up the action a bit on a C128.

If you do get a c-128...get a 128-D...it comes with built in drives, which means it takes up less space on your computer desk/table....and saves you hunting around for working c64 drives

Agree 100% about the C128D -- IF you want the extra power of the 128. If all you want is gaming, you can get a good C64 setup for less money then a 128D -- those seem to go for good money these days. Makes me wish I still had mine, but we sold ours back in 1995.

Question is, is the data layout/drive format of a c 128-d drive compatible with a c64 or earlier d/d, i ask just incase the OP decides to get a commy 64 and wants to copy data etc

The drive in a C128D is just a nekkid 1571, so it does have a C128-specific mode that goes like the clappers and reads both sides of the disk with a single directory track but in C64 mode there are only a few games that will get upset about it (there are more where the loader will break if there's more than one drive connected) and the jewel cracks by crews like Nostalgia and Remember should work perfectly happily.

The only problem with having an integrated drive like that means you can't get an X*1541 cable connected up to it for transfer, so to transfer downloaded D64 files to floppy you'll either need a 1541 anyway or something like SD2IEC or 1541U.

The Commodore 128 is really just a enhanced Commodore 64, and the C64 is one of the best gaming computers out there. icon_mrgreen.gif

This just about sums it up. If you already have a C64, it's iffy. There aren't many C128 specific games, but the keyboard and disc drives are a lot nicer to use. If you don't have a C64, get it. Lots of great 8-bit classics. You'll want to invest in some DSDD discs and an X1541 device of some sort to dump disk images.

You're not from Omaha are you? There's been guy with a boxed ADAM and C128 on CL here for a month. I was never able to get a hold of the guy, but good score if you did. Can I ask what you paid?

I think I got a good deal, $30 for the Adam, $30 for the 128, 2 1571 drives, a 1902A monitor, and mouse all boxed. Plus a joystick and a bunch of games and programs on floppy disk. I also bought a boxed Vic-20 for $12.

Edited by fred

I think I got a good deal, $30 for the Adam, $30 for the 128, 2 1571 drives, a 1902A monitor, and mouse all boxed. Plus a joystick and a bunch of games and programs on floppy disk. I also bought a boxed Vic-20 for $12.

Oh I hate you. :P That's an awesome deal. I'm sure I responded to the same ad on CL, so you're lucky you got there first.

I wonder if you can dig up some Adam software as .wav files and record them to cassette for use on the Adam. Did you get a disk drive with it? I'm not sure what Adam exclusives there are that are worthwhile, but it would be fun to find out. I'm in Omaha so if you feel like showing it off, I can bring by some beers and Coleco games some afternoon.

Also, you might be interested in the new SD Coleco flash cart Atarimax is making. Check it out here.

Something I thought I should point out, since it rarely gets a mention these days: The C128 has a Z80 processor on board, and an 80 column display. It will actually run CP/M with no problems! The C128 was a damn fine machine!

Now: Here's the real question: Why is it, that I can remember the above, but I can't remember to get a pint of milk on the way home?

My personal favorite Commodore -- the one I had as a kid -- was the C128D. Very nice system, with a detachable keyboard, a speedy internal 1581 drive, and room for the monitor to sit on top of the unit. Some people have complained about PSU issues, but I never had one during the 10 years I owned and used it.

I was actually given one of those.

I was at work (I'm a computer tech) and I explained about what all I had in my game collection. He said he had a Commodore 64 that he had laying around, if I wanted it its mine.

I didn't tell him I had one already (Doesn't hurt to have a spare), so I said sure I'd love that.

He brings it in the next day, and its a C128D. No monitor, but man do I love that thing. Because everything is built in, you can actually hook it up like a normal console, just a single power outlet needed.

I still have a 1541, for when I decide to transfer some D64 games across from the PC, but I need to get an updated cable, I no longer have a Win98 machine.

You got an amazing deal, you definitely need to get a X1541 cable. Its amazing to use Star Commander to transfer things across, have a few beers, and try out new games. ^_^

Something I thought I should point out, since it rarely gets a mention these days: The C128 has a Z80 processor on board, and an 80 column display. It will actually run CP/M with no problems! The C128 was a damn fine machine!

Yeah, but what can you actually do with CP/M that's any fun? There's not much in the way of games for it.

The only problem with having an integrated drive like that means you can't get an X*1541 cable connected up to it for transfer, so to transfer downloaded D64 files to floppy you'll either need a 1541 anyway or something like SD2IEC or 1541U.

Isn't there a POKE you can use to make the C128 relinquish it's status as an IEC master? I think I remember seeing something like that at one point.

Edit: Yeah, there is. From the Star Commander dox:

To use the built-in drive of a C128D or an SX64 or to use the same Commodore drive from a Commodore machine and a PC, you must execute a POKE command on the Commodore machine:

Commodore 64/128: "POKE 56576, PEEK(56576) AND 239" or simply "POKE 56576, 199".

Commodore Plus4: "POKE 1, PEEK(1) OR 1".

Commodore VIC20: "POKE 37137, PEEK(37137) OR 3".

This decouples the Commodore machine from the common serial bus, by switching the CLK line to high. Every time you access the drive from the Commodore machine, you'll have to issue this command again afterwards.

Edited by LocalH

Isn't there a POKE you can use to make the C128 relinquish it's status as an IEC master? I think I remember seeing something like that at one point.

Edit: Yeah, there is. From the Star Commander dox:

To use the built-in drive of a C128D or an SX64 or to use the same Commodore drive from a Commodore machine and a PC, you must execute a POKE command on the Commodore machine:

Commodore 64/128: "POKE 56576, PEEK(56576) AND 239" or simply "POKE 56576, 199".

Commodore Plus4: "POKE 1, PEEK(1) OR 1".

Commodore VIC20: "POKE 37137, PEEK(37137) OR 3".

This decouples the Commodore machine from the common serial bus, by switching the CLK line to high. Every time you access the drive from the Commodore machine, you'll have to issue this command again afterwards.

It works, too. That's exactly what I've been doing with my SX-64.