IGNORED

Gridrunner game intro NTSC

After great defeat of Argentina yesterday I thought I can give Gridrunner last touches before releasing the "final" release candidate...

In Atari800 Mac emulator I am not able to track down the "white" bar fx at the top of the screen of the NTSC version of the game intro. Can someone please have a look if this is an emulator issue or if this is happening on real hardware, too. before spending too much time to track down the "bug".

game_intro.xex 2.zip

well... this is the first packed version incl. NTSC check.

please run it on the real machine and let me know what you discover...

I spotted green missle garbage in the game.

the relocator for the vic code (game code will be put at $1000-$1dff after game loaded for DOS loading) and the pm bug i am not able to track down because the game always crashes when i am now inserting code. do not know what the issue is here as imho there is no code overlapping...

gridrunner_rc.xex.zip

I spotted NO garbage in the game, except the unpacking streaks. This file gets all the way into the Title screen, I waited a bit to see if it would continue --- then press START, TRIGGER, SHIFT, ETC... Shift caused the game to goto black screen and then nothing. The next try I pressed TAB and got IO noises then black screen. Is there a continue key?

NTSC 240K Rambo upgrade.

I spotted NO garbage in the game, except the unpacking streaks. This file gets all the way into the Title screen, I waited a bit to see if it would continue --- then press START, TRIGGER, SHIFT, ETC... Shift caused the game to goto black screen and then nothing. The next try I pressed TAB and got IO noises then black screen. Is there a continue key?

NTSC 240K Rambo upgrade.

Hmmm... Strange... In Emu you can Press Fire or Start to play The game...

Nice presentation. This really was missed back in those days. The picture has some logic bugs, but it's better than nothing ;)

I also wonder about the music style, it's a good decision.

The game, well, somehow I'd prefer the "Atari original" , but it's not my type of "wanted" games at all ;)

Well, good work, on the wrong game icon_ponder.gif

NTSC 240K Rambo upgrade.

Hmmm... Strange... In Emu you can Press Fire or Start to play The game...

I got this put into a game dos[mypdos4.04] atr and ran on original 800xl NTSC 196K rambo.. NO garbage until after I press RETURN key and game continues to load. At the game screen I have a green line vertical center of screen. All else is just great, I played several screens and then reloaded and got the same green line.

TRIG and START key didn't start game loading only RETURN key loaded game.

Don't take this the wrong way... but the game risks becoming bloatware, given that the original VIC version worked in under 5K or whatever it was.

I reckon you should just polish up what you've got. Improve the sound effects and be done with it.

Don't take this the wrong way... but the game risks becoming bloatware, given that the original VIC version worked in under 5K or whatever it was.

I reckon you should just polish up what you've got. Improve the sound effects and be done with it.

I'd have to agree, I admire the sentiment behind fixing it but it's just one of those ugh games for me :)

I'd have to agree, I admire the sentiment behind fixing it but it's just one of those ugh games for me :)

Hehe... it is already bloatware... 3,5kb game plus a 12k G2f-screen... ;) plus 4k samples... hehehe... anyway... ;) will finish this project and head to another VIC conversion... or back to Beyond Evil.

ps. the green line in the main screen is the issue.

I must be missing something, but it looks like the green line is just a missile left over from the title screen...?

CPU: Address write breakpoint hit: D004

(10856: 22, 7) PC=409E A=00 X=01 Y=6D S=F6 P=34 ( I ) 409E: 8C 04 D0 STY HPOSM0 [$D004] = $FF

Hehe... it is already bloatware... 3,5kb game plus a 12k G2f-screen... ;) plus 4k samples... hehehe... anyway... ;) will finish this project and head to another VIC conversion... or back to Beyond Evil.

Some - simple/ stupid questions approaching...

Main title image looks great - what gr mode it uses? And is that result of conversion form pc trough some utility? Something like bmp2atari_colored_image+DL_code+asm_routines_for_color_changing should be great. At least for me.

Game itself is just another shoot em - maybe it can get some runs on real HW but this time I'm using only emulator.

I must be missing something, but it looks like the green line is just a missile left over from the title screen...?

CPU: Address write breakpoint hit: D004

(10856: 22, 7) PC=409E A=00 X=01 Y=6D S=F6 P=34 ( I ) 409E: 8C 04 D0 STY HPOSM0 [$D004] = $FF

yes, it is missle garbage... but the strange thing is that while clearing the missles in the main code it gets crashing all the time and I don't know why... but I will do the following then instead... I am clearing all data when exiting the G2F. Maybe this helps then. and repositioning at pos. 0 does not help much as it might be visible on emulators who show the whole scanline.

Interesting, I remember my pal Jeff had a commodore and we compared this game side by side as well as flight simulator. Griddrunner won on the Atari but Flight sim was a toss up. The Atari loaded flight sim faster. And gridrunner was instant as it was a cartridge.

Am I understand it the game will be made better graphically and enhance the gameplay features adding some new ways to blast things from the grid?

Mintner has his Atari version posted for download at his sight, you might want to check that out

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/lc-8bit.php

click the photo of the box and it will download it.

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=77627

new gridrunner by mintner on new systems Gridrunner Revolutions

Edited by _The Doctor__

I guess I make a FAQ page soon...

the game is the original VIC20 version run on A8 with some enhancements. No game play changes nor big gfx changes except for some DLIs. Title screen plus music + sample "Gridrunner" added. Why? Because I hate the A8/C64 versions and one of my first games was Gridrunner on the VIC20... ;)

I am curious, are you re making the game? I have this on cartridge from HES. Crazy hard game! Very fast. Or is it a new game Completely?

Its a port and enhancement of the original VIC-20 game code that has been reverse engineered.

btw. just a crazy idea... I have full source code of the game... what about an 7800 port? can be done similar way... attach patches for the gfx (draw sprite, sound routines). 7800 version could be done faster as no color "patches" needed as you anyway use the DLLs.

btw. just a crazy idea... I have full source code of the game... what about an 7800 port? can be done similar way... attach patches for the gfx (draw sprite, sound routines). 7800 version could be done faster as no color "patches" needed as you anyway use the DLLs.

Yep! Its certainly possible. I'm not sure how the game's G2F title page will look using the 7800's palette and G2F converter.

How much of zero page is used?

7800 version would be welcomed, where is Groovybee when you need him?!

Here! :lol: