IGNORED

SIO2PC (USB) over ethernet

rchennau

I really like my AtariMax SIO2PC USB edition. But my placing my Atari next to my PC just isn't asthetically pleasing. It doesn't make the wife happy and it gives my PC a complex. So I have been researching how to get my Atari away from my PC, make the wife happy and of course not be banned to the garage to work with my Atari.

I've tested the following items by connection the SIO2PC USB to the device noted below and copying the DOS 2.5 disk from a real 1050 over to an ATR file using AtariMax ProSystem.

1.Arkview network device USB sharing (Amazon product spec here) $39.99 USD

This product worked flawlessly. It recognized the SIO2PC USB and I was able to copy a disk from my real 1050 with Happy over to my PC routed through the Arkview. One thing to note however is that the Arkview is NOT wireless enabled. Meaning you have to connect it into your wired network in order for it to work. This presented a problem for me as my hub is not located the same place my computer or Atari is. Thus Arkview went back to the store.

2. Belkin Homebase. (Amazon product spec here) $69.99

I have this item and it works flawlessly. Configuration is simple via a web interface and it is able to connect wireless using the standard security protocols. It has four USB ports which can be configured to share a multitude of USB devices including the AtariMAx SIO2PC USB. I have been using it for about two weeks now with no problems. The device could use some yellowing to match my 600XL case ;)! One caveat the Belkin share utility that must run on your windows PC doesn't work well. I dumped it and used the D-Link Shareport Utility instead. Oddly it works flawlessly unlike the Belkin version.

3. D-LINK 655 Wireless Router with Shareport (Amazon product spec) $81.00 USD

I have this item and a recent firmware upgrade enables it to share USB devices. It recognized the SIO2PC USB and I was able to copy a disk from my real 1050 with Happy over to my PC routed through the Arkview. I had a little trouble getting it work initially as my Windows 7 64BIT firewall was getting in the way. Turn off firewall and it worked. Please note that when sharing a USB drive via the D-LINK 655 the wireless network performance will drastically be reduced. I suppose the microcontroller on the D-LINK isn't powerful enough to handle the wireless radio and USB sharing at the same time.

I'd like to hear from others who have come up with solutions to separate their PC's from the Atari(s).

Edited by rchennau

Well, I'm not giving you any new information, but I was in this same quandry....

And I solved it by getting an SD card drive for the Atari. I still us APE but only when I need some of that functionality. It's easy to mount the ATRs with the real hardware, then stick the card in the PC for fooling with the emulator or APE.

I am intrigued by the hardware YOU mentioned, though, and I was not aware of such devices. Very cool!

But you might think about Sdrive or SIO2SD. I have used Sdrive (actually the recased Sdrive NUXX) for some time, and I just got SIO2SD which is very similar functionally. I love them both!!! When I want to print or telnet (etc...etc..) I still use APE or an emulator. But I don't need to do so much of that so the SD card drive works for me most of the time.

I started getting back into the Atari maybe a couple years ago??? Can't remember now what the date was but it was about the time I joined Atari Age. NATURALLY SIO2PC/APE is a must-have and a given, and I wouldn't give up my Atarimax units for anything in the world. But from there, I found the move to the SD card devices to be a logical next move, and use both! Yes you can have it all!!!

• Like 1

I really like my AtariMax SIO2PC USB edition. But my placing my Atari next to my PC just isn't aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't make the wife happy and it gives my PC a complex. So I have been researching how to get my Atari away from my PC, make the wife happy and of course not be banned to the garage to work with my Atari.

I've tested the following items by connection the SIO2PC USB to the device noted below and copying the DOS 2.5 disk from a real 1050 over to an ATR file using AtariMax ProSystem.

1.Arkview network device USB sharing (Amazon product spec here) $39.99 USD

This product worked flawlessly. It recognized the SIO2PC USB and I was able to copy a disk from my real 1050 with Happy over to my PC routed through the Arkview. One thing to note however is that the Arkview is NOT wireless enabled. Meaning you have to connect it into your wired network in order for it to work. This presented a problem for me as my hub is not located the same place my computer or Atari is. Thus Arkview went back to the store.

2. Belkin Homebase. (Amazon product spec here) $69.99

I have this item on order and will updated this review when I receive. But my research indicates that not only can I add upto four USB devices but also use the Ethernet port to run another device. The Belkin has a wireless N radio that enables it to connect to a wireless router. Thus it should essentially be the same product as the Arkview but with more ports and wireless capability.

3. D-LINK 655 Wireless Router with Shareport (Amazon product spec) $81.00 USD

I have this item and a recent firmware upgrade enables it to share USB devices. It recognized the SIO2PC USB and I was able to copy a disk from my real 1050 with Happy over to my PC routed through the Arkview. I had a little trouble getting it work initially as my Windows 7 64BIT firewall was getting in the way. Turn off firewall and it worked.

I'd like to hear from others who have come up with solutions to separate their PC's from the Atari(s).