IGNORED

The Atari Bucket List

jacobus

Not that I’m feeling morbid or anything, but I was interested in getting some feedback regarding what other members here feel is the essential list of Atari game achievements. What list of games do you feel are important to not only play, but (if possible) to complete and/or master? Another way to look at this is; which Atari games carry the most prestige to win or complete? Which ones would allow you to brag obsessively to other Atari enthusiasts?

Titles that come to mind are:

Star Raiders (Star Commander Rank)

MULE (human First founder, 100K +)

Alternate Reality

Omnitrend’s Universe

Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Bruce Lee

Encounter

What’s on your list?

Not that I’m feeling morbid or anything, but I was interested in getting some feedback regarding what other members here feel is the essential list of Atari game achievements. What list of games do you feel are important to not only play, but (if possible) to complete and/or master? Another way to look at this is; which Atari games carry the most prestige to win or complete? Which ones would allow you to brag obsessively to other Atari enthusiasts?

Titles that come to mind are:

Star Raiders (Star Commander Rank)

MULE (human First founder, 100K +)

Alternate Reality

Omnitrend’s Universe

Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Bruce Lee

Encounter

What’s on your list?

Bruce Lee? That's way too easy to make the list. Mercenary was though I think. And had lots of problems with Koronis Rift, which I really would like to complete. Almost complete Shamus Case II and Electrician, two games I would like to have beaten.

Two games certainly on my list would be;

Mediator

Goonies

They both drove me up the wall when I first got them, and still, to this day, haven't finished them.

I could also mention any of the Infocom games. HHGTG was sheer hell.

And one game I never completed/got to the last level, but it never really bothered me was "Pogo Joe". But I did enjoy sitting down and playing it for and hour or so.

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Mon Jul 5, 2010 4:12 PM' timestamp='1278342737' post='2045010]

Two games certainly on my list would be;

Mediator

Goonies

They both drove me up the wall when I first got them, and still, to this day, haven't finished them.

I could also mention any of the Infocom games. HHGTG was sheer hell.

And one game I never completed/got to the last level, but it never really bothered me was "Pogo Joe". But I did enjoy sitting down and playing it for and hour or so.

+1 for Mediator. My Dad and I sat for hours playing it, we never did get to the end of it.

I've completed Koronis Rift. I wouldn't call it a brag worthy accomplishment. I basically replayed save games over and over again and ground my way through it. There also isn't any real payoff for completing the game. Just a black screen saying "Level 20 completed" or some such.

There IS strategy to how you choose your shields and weapon. The manual explains a system of "chromoquantization" which basically means that a red laser will be more effective on a blue saucer since blue is on the other end of the "chromoquantized spectrum". Of course your shields defend against the weapon colors of the saucers in the same way. You also need to acquire a good generator, battery, and propulsion unit. There is also some strategy in switching radars in and out as they are attuned to the hulks of particular races and some races make better weapons and shields than others. I've seen a few posts over the years about how difficult this game is. But I think most of it comes of not realizing the importance of the color business and radar business. You really have to read the manual to play this one.

:) Nice thread :thumbsup: I agree with Goonies and Mediator (check and check) Mediator is such a cool game, I've still to Finish Ultima III (after a lengthy gap) add His Dark Majesty (check) and Gyruss making it to Earth (check), Escaping from Lost Tomb (failed even after hacking it to 50 lives!). Completing Bounty Bob Strikes Back then with with no warps then all difficulty levels! F15 all missions without holding down A to keep the afterburners going when you run out of fuel :ponder:

I guess all the adventure and RPG games are rewarding to finish...

Playing every single game for the A8 ... still working on this one... but must be over half way, surely :?:

:) Nice thread :thumbsup: I agree with Goonies and Mediator (check and check) Mediator is such a cool game, I've still to Finish Ultima III (after a lengthy gap) add His Dark Majesty (check) and Gyruss making it to Earth (check), Escaping from Lost Tomb (failed even after hacking it to 50 lives!). Completing Bounty Bob Strikes Back then with with no warps then all difficulty levels! F15 all missions without holding down A to keep the afterburners going when you run out of fuel :ponder:

I guess all the adventure and RPG games are rewarding to finish...

Playing every single game for the A8 ... still working on this one... but must be over half way, surely :?:

U3, really? I can finish that in a 1/2 day!

U4 on the other hand killed me as I didnt have the words in the correct order and after going into the Abyss and spending 4 hours there I gave up. 15 years later I got a FAQ with the correct order and went down to finish it! :)

Way Out I never go through all the mazes.

add the lucasfilm games.. they rock..

Rescue on Fractalus

Koronis rift

The Eidolon

air combat simulators:

F-15 Strike Eagle

Tomohawk

For 2-player,

Air Rescue I (in 2-player coop mode) is awesome.

Racing Destruction Set and Ballblazer are a blast too...

Agreed on the Lucasfilm games MEtalGuy66 mentioned.

I'd also have to add to MY list: The Brundles.

If you haven't tried The Brundles (esp. with a mouse), you need to. It's an amazing piece of work, in my opinion. I sometimes forget I'm playing The Brundles on my 8-bit, and think I'm playing the original Lemmings. The disk swapping is a little bit of a drag at first, but if you have more than 64k, not too bad, once you get it all loaded into RAM. Plus it works on NTSC and PAL.

Yeah, FSII was impressive and all. I never really had the patience for it. I wouldn't be a good pilot, I guess.

I think I'm using an STM1 with Brundles. Was that the only ST mouse? It seems like it works pretty well for me with Brundles, Missile Command/+, Centipede 5200, etc. What kind of mouse were you using, Orpheus? I remember seeing ad for "the rat" by Zobian, and I think some people used Amiga mice.

Well, I completed Blue Max and Blue Max 2001 on the highest level of difficulty. I also did complete Quasimodo, which wasn't easy. Moreover, I think that Shamus II and Zeppelin are challenging. Archon II is a bitch to beat too, since the computer is cheating.

Pitfall II is another good one. I think I did finish level one, but I was sent to the 2nd level (which doesn't exist on the 2600 one?), but no luck past there. Was there an end to the 2nd level?