IGNORED

Season 3 5200 HSC Round 10 *Joust*

darthkur

1181242123210.jpg

s_Joust_3.png

You're a noble knight, replete in shinning golden armor. It is your honor bound mission to defend the kingdom from the hordes of malevolent buzzard riding raiders whose demented lust for power and destruction threatens your way of life and very existence. Don't let them gain the higher ground or you will be dismounted and doomed. Strategically attack them from above and see them transmorph into their primitive embryonic form, from which they will hatch with twice as much fury if you do not collect them before they emerge and take flight. You must also be wary of the ravenous pterodactyl that will devour you in one gulp. It is most difficult to defeat and swift of wing so you would be well advised to avoid it's bloodthirsty grasp. So be strong, valiant and strike true for the entire kingdom is depending upon you.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory. Please do not use any cheat/hack options. These include auto-fire, unlimited lives, invincibility, etc. Also, no

continues. Only games begun at the beginning count.

Settings: Skilled (default)

ROM: Joust.zip There seems to be yet another issue with the ROM file working with the Atara800Win emulator. Please feel free to use the Atari 800 rom here.

Contest ends on: 7-19-10 at 1:00am EST.

Final Scores:

1st: atariksi - 368,900 +11

2nd: atariron82 - 201,500 +10

3rd: Divya16 - 189,200 +9

4th: NoahsMyBro - 137,800 +8

5th: roadrunner - 126,050 +7

6th: zylon - 88,450 +6

Current Standings:

1st: atariron82 (86) (1)

2nd: roadrunner (72) (1)

3rd: atariksi (66) (3)

3th: Divya16 (66)

4th: NoahsMyBro (56) (1)

5th: DensB68 (40) (2)

6th: Cafeman (29)

7th: thursday83 (14)

8th: zylon (13)

9th: CV Gus (11) (1)

101th: MIKE5200 (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Joust Manual

Edited by darthkur

You didn't count my score in Pengo -- I should get some points for effort in knocking out two sno-bees with screwed up controls.

Sorry about that. I didn't notice. I'm used to looking for a score posted on top. I missed the picture. I just adjusted everything to correct for that.

You didn't count my score in Pengo -- I should get some points for effort in knocking out two sno-bees with screwed up controls.

Sorry about that. I didn't notice. I'm used to looking for a score posted on top. I missed the picture. I just adjusted everything to correct for that.

Where's the competition? We need some more regulars to show us what they can score given this is a very good game.

Where's the competition? We need some more regulars to show us what they can score given this is a very good game.

Can't help you there. Don't have this game, not even the 8bit version. I only use original hardware. It's a matter of pride.

Can't help you there. Don't have this game, not even the 8bit version. I only use original hardware. It's a matter of pride.

I have an extra hardware version of this game if you want it for $9 shipped. I assume you are in USA.

Meanwhile, here's a score update:

Not my personal best yet.

Getting close to my personal best (in skilled level): 368,900.

I took one in-between screen shot as my camera was about to die so didn't want to wait and take a risk.

And last picture is highest score in novice before scoreboard flips over.

post-12094-127878745962_thumb.jpg

post-12094-127878747135_thumb.jpg

post-12094-127878748412_thumb.jpg

I've reached a pretty BIG impasse at the 1st Pterry wave :? . I've long forgotten the technique I used to dispatch the beast in the Arcade. It seems even more difficult in this version as I haven't even gotten lucky once :x . Has anyone found the kill zone combo for the pterry yet or is everyone employing a clever pterodactyl avoidance strategy?

Best so far:

post-21471-127896168664_thumb.jpg

Edited by atariron82

I'm reaching a pretty BIG empass at the 1st Pterry wave :? . I've long forgotten the technique I used to dispatch the beast in the Arcade. It seems even more difficult in this version as I haven't even gotten lucky once :x . Has anyone found the kill zone combo for the pterry yet or is everyone employing a clever pterodactyl avoidance strategy?

Best so far:

You can just follow it and stab it in the 2 points on it's tail.. it's still pretty hard though but not as hard as stabbing it in the beak.

My technique for killing it in it's beak back in the day was to stand on one edge of the bottom platform, and then when it came down for you, start running towards it at full speed and just as you come to it, you jump up and that kills the pterry in the beak if you time it correct. However you have to be really precise on your timing :lol: It's definitely NOT foolproof. Or of course, you can just avoid it. :)

By the way I really don't think this game should be played on the default "skilled" difficulty. When the eggs hatch, they are supposed to become the next level of enemy (i.e. red -> gray -> blue). But that doesn't happen unless you play "advanced".

Edited by NE146

Thanks NE146 :!: I just bagged my first pterry. He came charging at me while I stood stationary, but at the precise moment I lifted my lance as he smacked into it with his beak...and bye bye birdie! Yeah, I was lucky as everything fell into place with exact timing..but one out of six aint bad ;)

post-21471-127901100662_thumb.jpg

I've reached a pretty BIG impasse at the 1st Pterry wave :? . I've long forgotten the technique I used to dispatch the beast in the Arcade. It seems even more difficult in this version as I haven't even gotten lucky once :x . Has anyone found the kill zone combo for the pterry yet or is everyone employing a clever pterodactyl avoidance strategy?

Best so far:

You can just follow it and stab it in the 2 points on it's tail.. it's still pretty hard though but not as hard as stabbing it in the beak.

My technique for killing it in it's beak back in the day was to stand on one edge of the bottom platform, and then when it came down for you, start running towards it at full speed and just as you come to it, you jump up and that kills the pterry in the beak if you time it correct. However you have to be really precise on your timing :lol: It's definitely NOT foolproof. Or of course, you can just avoid it. :)

By the way I really don't think this game should be played on the default "skilled" difficulty. When the eggs hatch, they are supposed to become the next level of enemy (i.e. red -> gray -> blue). But that doesn't happen unless you play "advanced".

Back a thousand years ago I was pretty good at Joust in the arcades. Not great, but not at all bad. I then got it for the 5200 and was pretty good in my den as well.

But until 2 minutes ago I never knew you could kill the Pterodactyl with a shot to the tail! Thanks NE1, I'm going to have to try that !!

Edited by NoahsMyBro

Thanks NE146 :!: I just bagged my first pterry. He came charging at me while I stood stationary, but at the precise moment I lifted my lance as he smacked into it with his beak...and bye bye birdie! Yeah, I was lucky as everything fell into place with exact timing..but one out of six aint bad ;)

wow that's harder for me to do stationary. I need to be running :P

My Joust just arrived in the mail 30min ago. My first ever play got 39,300. Should be able to do better later but no records will be set by me. Analog doesn't help this one.

Worked at it for an hour: 72,650

When I have time, I'm getting the A8 version.

post-25215-127905471493_thumb.jpg

post-25215-127908978713_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon