IGNORED

Metroid Prime

Mikau

two really random nitpicks about the game:

One is, what the hell is up with the texture on Samus' chestplate when seen in close up on the elevator scenes? The thing looks like it escaped from an N64, and was the worse for the escape attempt (Nice way of hiding the load times, though)

Two is, and I'm only halfway through the game, I don't like the way the backstory is coming together. In particular, and I know this may have gotten its start in other games, but it seems kind of corny how much history Samus and the chozo have together. It's kind of like in Star Wars..[spoilerS ;-) ] not only was Vader's Luke's Father, and Leia was Luke's Sister, but then in the new movies, 'Vader' had built 3CP0, it's on the same planet, and some other factors that make it feel like a much smaller inbred universe.

oh jeeze as if those things really mattered. i played the game for the first time yesturday and i must say i was impressed. the games graphics are supurb in ALL areas of the game, despite what kisreal says. i enjoyed the game, i was very amused by it. the one problem that i had is of course the same problem everyone had. CONTROLES. it was kind of akward to play a FPS without 2 controller sticks, especially when i'v been playing red faction 2, Halo, and timesplitters 1 and 2. but i soon got around that what else is terrible is the lock on thing, yeh it locks on but you have to almost aim at the thing before you can lock on. and scanning is also a pain in the arse

Well, the metal thing was an aesthetic choice, but it doesn't detract from the graphic presentation, it's ugly just in my opinion.

Though come on...that chest plate on the elevator is *ugly* with weird blur....the black edge stripes. It looks fine on the next scene, that's not the close up.

But yeah, overall the graphics re pretty amazing.

geeze obsess much

Sure, why not.

I said it's a nitpick, duh, not a big deal.

And if it only showed up once in the game, or if you had to do something special to get it to glitch, that would be one thing. But it's really glaring and happens every time your ride elevators. I guess they thought you all'd be distracted by her purty eyes...

Hey kisrael, you want some cheese with that wine?

Yesterday I returned my defective copy and got a new one. The later levels in this game are awesome. Sometimes the game reminds me of Myst because of how excellent the graphics are. I thought the controls were cumbersome too at first but now they are perfect for me. Its unbelievable that this is Retro Studios first game they ever made. This could be the best game that ever came from the states.

Hey kisrael, you want some cheese with that wine?

Sheesh, a fanboy can't grouse in peace around here. Where'd you get that "cheese" line, middle school?

Look, it just struck me as odd. When a game has such tight quality control as this one obviously does, it's a strange quirk to slip through. I meant it as a "isn't this weird" not "this game isn't so good because".

the reason people are nit-picking is because there is no real thing to complain about, the game is that solid. i think it probably is the best american game ever made, concidering us americans arent the greatest game developers.

the reason that samus' suit textures are blurry up close is that they arent bump-mapped. the game is massive, and there are no load times. if there were bump-mapped textures, the game wouldnbt fit on 1 disc (on any system), and there would be frequent, room to room loads.

the reason people are nit-picking is because there is no real thing to complain about, the game is that solid. i think it probably is the best american game ever made, concidering us americans arent the greatest game developers.

Exactly, the game is terrific. Fans don't have to proclaim a game perfect in every respect, and sometimes finding the little bugs can be fun (have you see that Mario Sunshine glitch movie at neomega.net ?)

And I think USA holds their own among game developers, though they do tend to be weaker on the consoles relative to PC.

the reason that samus' suit textures are blurry up close is that they arent bump-mapped. the game is massive, and there are no load times. if there were bump-mapped textures, the game wouldnbt fit on 1 disc (on any system), and there would be frequent, room to room loads.

Actually, I think the elevator scene is used to beautifully hide some amount of loading. And honestly, I haven't noticed much else by way of poor textures...maybe some foliage looks a little corny here and there, that's all that comes to mind. It's curious that the single shot that looks like it might be FMV (after all, it's a relatively unusual closeup angle for the game, and is the same seen for every ride on that elevator) is the one that has the N64 smudgey lines.

The effects with light are amazing in this game. Haven't gotten the X-ray visor yet (though the screenshots with it are byootiful) I love how cheesey the wave beam looks when it's powered up and then fired, like a bad 70s lightshow.

uhhhh what about the shitty controls that makes it an unsolid game. and no its not the best american game.

uhhhh what about the shitty controls that makes it an unsolid game. and no its not the best american game.

It is a good game,it's a great game.But the best American game?I think not.Let's not jump the gun here. :roll: :ponder: :)

i would like to see somebody come up with a better control setup, keeping in mind that everything already assigned, especially the c-stick beam selection, is very necessary.

and if prime isnt the best american game ever developed, then what does everybody think is? I think possibly eternal darkness, or maybe something from blizzard (starcraft?). and does anybody know if lucasarts is based in america?

and if prime isnt the best american game ever developed, then what does everybody think is? I think possibly eternal darkness, or maybe something from blizzard (starcraft?). and does anybody know if lucasarts is based in america?

I would say maybe Vice City.A really really good game that everyone should have. :) :ponder: :D

I would say maybe Vice City.A really really good game that everyone should have. :) :ponder: :D

vice city (and all the gtas for that matter) were developed by dma (who changed their name to rockstar north) is located in the UK.